• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• 1,189 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 05:19 AM

I shot this Coon last night on my property as part of pest control. I have two wondering around the house in the evening despite the flood lights and the neighbors farm dog running them off now and then.

Took photo this morning, as he lay found last night. Shot at 30 yards while on ground. Blood exited mouth (other side/down side obviously) 17 grain V-Max to boiler room. Entrance on other side of Coon (down side). No exit, no surface splat received full knock down power potential. Easily, could have taken head shot but wanted to see boiler room in comparison to Coons shot in past with 22lr and 22wrm. Knocked him down and back about 1 foot, squirmed slightly, scooted 20' to my Bluse Spruce tree and collasped........dead.

Overall, impressed as it un-leashed 100% of knock down power. Simular results as I have had with 22WMR using the 40 gr HP's in past which pass through at that distance & shot placement. No doubt, the highly expanding newer 22WMR ammo would have been ideal at that range and placement. Better, than 22lr which also pass through not provideing shock knock down power. All three kill them quick by takeing out the lung/heart area but, the added shock/knock down of a non pass through with a B-Tip keeps them close. Fact, I have had center fire varmint calibers do the same with hollow points and zip through lungs resulting in slight scoot, from not un-leashing all energy, unless using B-Tips.

Low muzzle blast,worked well,safe. Likely, ideal for the 22wmr with a explosive newer bullet. But, I have not felt my previous 22mags would have killed something the 17hmr has not with simular shot placement at any range. However the 17hmr has extended my varmint range. This will likely change someday in the future while Fox hunting with the HMR and a good sized Eastern Coyote appears at close range wink.gif . But, actual field results will speak for themselves as I have seen Bill D. prove time and again with various calibers,rifles,pistols,varmints & predators.

Edited by plain old Bill, 15 June 2006 - 07:47 AM.

#2 Jeff the Griz

Jeff the Griz

Varminter

• 192 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:20 AM

nice shot on the coon pob

#3 nixter

nixter

Varminter

• 127 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:34 AM

poB, do you have any experience with the Rem. 33gr V-Max load on coons?

My friend has a bit of a coon problem and my Savage 93 in 22Mag really likes that load. I doubt that there would be any problem dispatching coons with the load in question with good shot placement but what about not so good shot placement as might be encountered in a barn at night.

A shotgun would be ideal in most cases but not here. Neighbors, wife etc....

Just to set-up the scenario, lower level of an old dairy barn, dark except for spotlight, barn cats that are off-limits. I suggested trapping but my friend tried that and came up with barn cats. Also need to mention typical for barns of this vintage in the area, fieldstone walls. Possums are also "visitors" to this barn.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Nixter

#4 Jon

Jon

Varminter

• 485 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 AM

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:30 PM

Good job Bill,

Here are my favorite 2 varmint loads for yard work anim_rofl2.gif

And a picture of the latest victim

Attached Thumbnails

• fred.jpg
  • Picture_005.jpg

Attached Images

• th_daisy.jpg

rimfireshooting.com

#5 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (nixter @ Jun 15 2006, 12:34 PM)
poB, do you have any experience with the Rem. 33gr V-Max load on coons?

My friend has a bit of a coon problem and my Savage 93 in 22Mag really likes that load.  I doubt that there would be any problem dispatching coons with the load in question with good shot placement but what about not so good shot placement as might be encountered in a barn at night.

A shotgun would be ideal in most cases but not here. Neighbors, wife etc....

Just to set-up the scenario, lower level of an old dairy barn, dark except for spotlight, barn cats that are off-limits. I suggested trapping but my friend tried that and came up with barn cats. Also need to mention typical for barns of this vintage in the area, fieldstone walls. Possums are also "visitors" to this barn.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Nixter

Nixter,
I have been to your neck of the woods and many feel it's much like here Southwestern NY. I am very familar with your set up. To answer your question; no I have not tried those V-Max. They did not have then then. I do feel the 22Mag is ideal for smaller predators and that ammo would be a fine choice. I shot the Coon last night under flood lights, but not in a barn.

I would be careful of ricochet (spelling?) off steel etc. A 22lr would be fine but again ricochet is a concern.

Likely a .410 shotgun may be best.

Thats a tuff one because of the barn cats for traps.

I guess you could bait them into an area for the safest shot with the mag. Use something with a strong fish smell under the light beam.

How good are you with a wrist rocket sling shot wink.gif biggrin.gif

#6 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (Jon164 @ Jun 15 2006, 02:30 PM)
Good job Bill,

Here are my favorite 2 varmint loads for yard work  anim_rofl2.gif

And a picture of the latest victim

Yea.......they would keep me out too. My neighbors farm dog lab mutt who thinks he lives here (actually he is my buddy and I give him treats wink.gif ) Came troting over after the shot. Good watch dog,barks,etc. worst nose I ever seen biggrin.gif I had to point out the dead coon when it trotted around the pine. Actually, that puff in the picture that looks like an impact id when he gave it the two second mouth and shake job biggrin.gif Before, I told him no.

Anyways my neighbor is an old Italian truck farmer (nicest guy you ever seen). The dog is actually a "barn" dog that sleeps in the barn year round. Anyways since my dog of 15 years died in Feb. This mutt is like mine and Tony (neighbor) knows it and don't mind a bit. The kids like'em, and he is over here more......................I keep the jumbo milk bones in my garage wink.gif

#7 nixter

nixter

Varminter

• 127 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:41 PM

Well, so much for shooting coons in the barn. A horse is now living there.

Perhaps a sardine can with a hole in it suspended in tree about 50 yards from the barn and about 4 feet off the ground and away from the trunk would do the trick. Smelly enough and high enough to be out of reach but still hold their interest?

Barn isn't so vacant now so perhaps the coons will look elsewhere for lodging.

We'll see.

Nixter

#8 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 05:38 AM

That would work. I would also spread some bird food on the ground with the juice spread over it. Show up after a couple nights at 11:00-12:00 pm with either the mag or a 22lr.

As a kid we used cut up Bluegill and Bass, placed in a Ball Jar, which was then placed on the roof during hot summer for two weeks to cure. We used this for traps during season. We likely read it in Fur,Fish&Game Mag. which my buddy and I lived for to read at 12- 13-14 years old earning some cash on furs in the early 70's.

#9 smallblockfuelie

smallblockfuelie

Varminter

• 215 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 AM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 07:23 AM

Did you haven to skin and gut it out to see how bad the damage was?

#10 plain old Bill

plain old Bill

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (smallblockfuelie @ Jun 19 2006, 08:23 AM)
Did you haven to skin and gut it out to see how bad the damage was?

No, I did not.