92 replies to this topic

#16 Gunny Ret.

Gunny Ret.

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 26 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 AM

Posted 02 February 2006 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Dec 19 2005, 11:00 PM)
You know the one.  It happens one of two ways.

First way:  You are in a gunshop and you suddenly see it.  The gun you've read about, thought about, but never bought because you've never seen one in real life.  The moment you see it, you cannot wait to get your hands on it and the "burning feeling" starts.  The seconds seem like hours as the salesperson stumbles to grab the rifle.  Finally, he hands it to you.  By this time, the "burning feeling" has engulfed your entire body.  Nothing can stop you from buying this gun.  It has overwhelmed any sense of prudence left in your brain.  Add another one to the funsafe.

Second way:  You see a rifle in a gunshop that peaks your interest a bit.  You see the price and not knowing that it is a killer deal, you decide to investigate it a bit more before buying.  So, you get home, log into your favourite hunting/gun forums and start asking about the rifle.  As you start to read the responses, how this rifle normally goes for 2 times what they are asking.  Or the rifle is very rare and if you do not want it, tell them where it is and they will buy it tomorrow.  Even worse is that the rifle is in the most fun caliber ever made, that kills like a lightening bolt and blows up all critters it hits into tiny little chunks!  The "burn" starts.  You start kicking yourself for not buying it when you first saw it. 

The night takes forever, you wake up the next morning, only to find when you arrive at the gunshop that they are closed!!  Holy Crap!!  Your brain is going a mile a minute.  Though it is 30 degrees outside, you are only wearing a light jacket because your body is going through "Manopause" and the hot flashes are burning you up.  Did someone else buy the gun yesterday?  You press your face against the gunshop's window to see if it is still there.  ARGH!!

So, have you felt the "burning feeling"?  I have and many times I have missed some pretty good opportunities, as well as lost a bunch of sleep.  Over a gun...

I feel dirty.  unsure.gif

Eric A. Mayer  cool.gif

Last time I had the "burning" was in 1966 but penicillian took care of it. unsure.gif

#17 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:49 PM

[SIZE=1][SIZE=1][SIZE=1]
QUOTE (Gunny Ret. @ Feb 3 2006, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Dec 19 2005, 11:00 PM)
You know the one.  It happens one of two ways.

First way:  You are in a gun shop and you suddenly see it.  The gun you've read about, thought about, but never bought because you've never seen one in real life.  The moment you see it, you cannot wait to get your hands on it and the "burning feeling" starts.  The seconds seem like hours as the salesperson stumbles to grab the rifle.  Finally, he hands it to you.  By this time, the "burning feeling" has engulfed your entire body.  Nothing can stop you from buying this gun.  It has overwhelmed any sense of prudence left in your brain.  Add another one to the fun safe.

Second way:  You see a rifle in a gun shop that peaks your interest a bit.  You see the price and not knowing that it is a killer deal, you decide to investigate it a bit more before buying.  So, you get home, log into your favourite hunting/gun forums and start asking about the rifle.  As you start to read the responses, how this rifle normally goes for 2 times what they are asking.  Or the rifle is very rare and if you do not want it, tell them where it is and they will buy it tomorrow.  Even worse is that the rifle is in the most fun caliber ever made, that kills like a lightening bolt and blows up all critters it hits into tiny little chunks!  The "burn" starts.  You start kicking yourself for not buying it when you first saw it. 

The night takes forever, you wake up the next morning, only to find when you arrive at the gun shop that they are closed!!  Holy Crap!!  Your brain is going a mile a minute.  Though it is 30 degrees outside, you are only wearing a light jacket because your body is going through "Manopause" and the hot flashes are burning you up.  Did someone else buy the gun yesterday?  You press your face against the gunshops window to see if it is still there.  ARGH!!

So, have you felt the "burning feeling"?  I have and many times I have missed some pretty good opportunities, as well as lost a bunch of sleep.  Over a gun...

I feel dirty.   unsure.gif

Eric A. Mayer   cool.gif

Last time I had the "burning" was in 1966 but penicillin took care of it. unsure.gif

Now that's what we mean by not lurking, being tongue in cheek is definitely a plus in here. laugh.gif
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#18 jim d

jim d

Varminter

• 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:38 PM

Posted 27 February 2006 - 09:30 AM

Eric, there is a third way. I work in a gun shop that has 60 pistols and 100 rifles and shotguns on display. I show these guns to customers every day at work and now I don't carry any credit cards,checks or cash to work or my wife will kill me as I have fallen to the temptation more than once.---Jim

#19 redmistmd

redmistmd

Varminter

• 728 posts
  • Interests:hunting, vapin varmints ,camping,backpacking,scuba diving,sky diving,skiing but mostly hunting.and working around the house on projects and playing with my awsome family

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:43 PM

I have that feeling rioght now for a new semi auto 17hmr but i just got done buying a new 223 one I have been looking for for over 10 years I found a mint 1990s remington varmint special with 24" bull barrel in the BDL walnut stock not a nick, not a scratch, jeweling still on the bolt with rings and bases for 450 so my burn cant be too bad right now I guess the rasoni wante done so bad is because they feel so good shooting them it CUDDLES up to me just so nice almost like spooning. can ya catch my breeze

#20 Jeff the Griz

Jeff the Griz

Varminter

• 192 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (redmistmd @ Mar 7 2006, 06:43 PM)
I have that feeling rioght now for a new semi auto 17hmr but i just got done buying a new 223  one I have been looking for for over 10 years I found a mint 1990s remington  varmint special with 24" bull barrel in the  BDL walnut stock not a nick, not a scratch, jeweling still on the bolt with rings and bases for 450 so my burn cant be too bad right now I guess the rasoni wante done so bad is because they feel so good shooting them  it CUDDLES up to me just so nice almost like spooning. can ya catch my breeze

Who makes a semi auto 17hmr never found one at the shop or online?????
besides sometimes the itch can be put away for a little bit with the aid of a new scope, sling, or a couple boxes of ammo (not to mention the wife standing next to me) blink.gif

#21 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 4,682 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:01 PM

Volquartsen

Eric cool.gif

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#22 nuttinbutchunks

nuttinbutchunks

Varminter

• 288 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

A short time ago Me and my wife were leaving a resturaunt in town and I happen to peer in the window of a paw shop. I can see in the back on display is a .50 BMG, probably a purchase in the neighborhood of $3000, and I just about gasped ohmy.gif

I wanted it. I didn't buy it 'cause I was not working, and I knew I couldn't afford to even shoot it. But for those few seconds the blood completely left my head.

#23 coyoteassasin

coyoteassasin

Varminter

• 15 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:11 PM

You are in a gunshop and you suddenly see it. The gun you've read about, thought about, but never bought because you've never seen one in real life.

OH YEA BABY... WALKED INTO SPECIALITY SPORTS IN COLORADO SPRINGS LAST WEEK... THERE ON THE SHELF... ( among several thousand guns ) WAS.....

PSG-1 ........ OH MY GAWD.... I BEGGED TO JUST HOLD IT..THEY FINALLY AGREED..
( PRICE TAG $6,000 )

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE IT...ANYWHERE.... I KISSED IT AND HANDED IT BACK...

for the psg-1 challenged and unknowing masses....

http://remtek.com/ar...l/psg1/psg1.htm

Edited by coyoteassasin, 24 March 2006 - 06:20 PM.

#24 357mag

357mag

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (Eric Mayer @ Mar 16 2006, 10:01 PM)

wink.gif OH YEAH wink.gif VOLQUARTSEN smile.gif smile.gif

#25 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

Here you go Eric. A matched his and hers set of HM2's.

http://www.gunbroker...p?Item=45714456

Protector of the nuts.

#26 yotekiller

yotekiller

Varminter

• 159 posts
  • Local time: 12:38 AM
  • Interests:1)God 2)country 3)family

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:09 AM

Oh yea I know the feeling.

Two weeks ago I was at a gun show in the area here, and walked in the door, saw a bushmaster .223 vmatch rifle with a $640 price tag. I picked it up and started getting that ohhhhh I want this feeling. So I brought in my guns I was willing to trade, told him that I might be back. So I took two laps around to see if there was anything else I wanted more than that, finally decided it was what I liked the most, so I go back to the table.. and my gun was gone.

Talked to him and here he owns a local shop and told me that he had another one sitting there. So I take off work on monday to go pick her up, just to find out that it was sold on saturday. By this time my fire was about put out, until I took a trip to another gun shop and found my current rifle. My DPMS AR15... shoots great, looks great, now I just need to see how it kills things smile.gif

#27 4.35 x 27mm

4.35 x 27mm

Varminter

• 12 posts
  • Interests:Varmint/predator hunting. <br />Fishing when hunting slows..which is not too often around here.

Posted 06 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

I know the feeling. sad.gif
Gun shows are the worse places for these feelings. I see a rifle, nothing rare mind you, but just what I'm looking for. Thinking someone may have it at a lower cost, I browse for an hour or more frantically looking for the same rifle at a better price.
Returning to the first table, the rifle has just been sold. mad.gif Fate has dealt it's ugly
hand with no mercy.

Gun buying is like yard sales, better grab it while you can !!!! tongue.gif

#28 sniper 101

sniper 101

Varminter

• 63 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

remington also makes a semi auto.
not even close to the best but good for the price and very very acurat. i was very surprised at how acurat it is. lets just say the squirls dont have time to complain.

#29 243junkie

243junkie

Varminter

• 174 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

I had that feeling when I was 10 and was my first year of deer hunting. My dad and I went in to a Gun shop and started looking for a .243. So I was looking at nice Savage Rifle when My dad says Come here. So his friend who works there (who also sold him a benelli legacy.) pulled off a Remington 700 synthetic youth .243. I was stunned. So I told my dad, I WANT THAT GUN!!! Well, on my birthday I asked right after school where it was. My dad gave me the most honest look and said, It was sold. I was so sad. I sat in my room looking at it on Remington's Website. Then while we were eating he said hold on gotta grab a beer. My mom went on like nothing was wrong. Then he walked in with it, Nikon 9x Prostaff, box of bullets, sling, sling mounts, and case. I jumped up and was shocked. Then my dad gave it to me for a few pictures. I was so Happy!!! Later that year during dear season, I shot my first buck with it at 271 yards. It was a 7 point mule deer. Of course, I didn't have to skin it. tongue.gif

Also when I saw the Volsquartzen in my siggy on sale at a local auction. $2100 for a .17 HMR. Ridicululis. (sp?) ohmy.gif

Edited by 243junkie, 13 July 2006 - 10:26 AM.

My weapons of mass bunny death:

.243 Remington 700 youth synthetic stock with 9x Nikon Prostaff Scope. (Primary bunny and deer gun.)

.22 Ruger 10/22

.22-250 Remington 700 VSF (forgot which scope.)

Remington 870 12 guage loaded with #8 shot.

Remington 700 7mm with Redfield Scope. (Only for 600+ yard shots.)

Winchester .300 Weatherby Magnum With Simmons Scope. (For 600+ yard shots.)

#30 BRIAR

BRIAR

Varminter

• 19 posts
  • Local time: 03:38 AM

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:17 PM

yes i do have it. notice i didn't say did. my doctor told me that mine is not curable. this is why i have 3 safes. i feel like someone who is hooked on crack. my last fix was the new model 10 predator.