92 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,682 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 AM

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:00 PM

You know the one. It happens one of two ways.

First way: You are in a gunshop and you suddenly see it. The gun you've read about, thought about, but never bought because you've never seen one in real life. The moment you see it, you cannot wait to get your hands on it and the "burning feeling" starts. The seconds seem like hours as the salesperson stumbles to grab the rifle. Finally, he hands it to you. By this time, the "burning feeling" has engulfed your entire body. Nothing can stop you from buying this gun. It has overwhelmed any sense of prudence left in your brain. Add another one to the funsafe.

Second way: You see a rifle in a gunshop that peaks your interest a bit. You see the price and not knowing that it is a killer deal, you decide to investigate it a bit more before buying. So, you get home, log into your favourite hunting/gun forums and start asking about the rifle. As you start to read the responses, how this rifle normally goes for 2 times what they are asking. Or the rifle is very rare and if you do not want it, tell them where it is and they will buy it tomorrow. Even worse is that the rifle is in the most fun caliber ever made, that kills like a lightening bolt and blows up all critters it hits into tiny little chunks! The "burn" starts. You start kicking yourself for not buying it when you first saw it.

The night takes forever, you wake up the next morning, only to find when you arrive at the gunshop that they are closed!! Holy Crap!! Your brain is going a mile a minute. Though it is 30 degrees outside, you are only wearing a light jacket because your body is going through "Manopause" and the hot flashes are burning you up. Did someone else buy the gun yesterday? You press your face against the gunshop's window to see if it is still there. ARGH!!

So, have you felt the "burning feeling"? I have and many times I have missed some pretty good opportunities, as well as lost a bunch of sleep. Over a gun...

I feel dirty. unsure.gif

Eric A. Mayer cool.gif

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:39 AM

Your not alone rolleyes.gif

Protector of the nuts.

#3 shooter

shooter

Varminter

• 2,905 posts
  • Local time: 01:29 AM
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Killing, Calling, Shooting critters, Hunting critters, Killing critters, Calling critters, 4 Wheel Drives, and Mostly My Family

Posted 20 December 2005 - 05:45 AM

That's pretty good Eric! biggrin.gif

I would like to thank you now for reminding me of the rifle of my dreams I want so bad and was on my way to pick up from an Inividual . On the way to his house I give him a call and say I'm on my way man. I have the cash and can't wait!. His reply is, I'm going to go ahead and keep it. It's not for sale. mad.gif I would like to thank Glens Uncle for getting me all ready and worked up but, only to burst my bubble when it came down to it. I was going to pay $200 - $300 to much for it even and I still don't have a Rem 700 Classic 220 swift mad.gif
The ROCK

#4 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,857 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:10 AM

unsure.gif

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#5 ShooterJohn

ShooterJohn

Varminter

• 1,062 posts
  • Local time: 11:29 PM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:41 AM

Do they make a cream for that rash? anim_rofl2.gif

#6 bzzrd feedr

bzzrd feedr

Varminter

• 162 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

Yea they do it's called Sweets!!! rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts
  • Local time: 02:29 AM

Posted 20 December 2005 - 01:59 PM

So Eric, does this story have a happy ending? If so, we'd like some details....make, model, caliber,etc.

Protector of the nuts.

#8 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,857 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 20 December 2005 - 04:54 PM

Yeah. Is there a happy ending?? Does that rifle you speak so vaguely about resemble this one?? dry.gif biggrin.gif

Attached Images

• Erics_toy.jpg

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#9 remdog

remdog

Varminter

• 31 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:43 PM

No your not the only one that gets that feeling .I to had it alot like your 2nd story except I cured my" burning feeling" pretty fast. I wound up making one of the best buy's of my life for a change. That remington 700 .223 i posted early this month. smile.gif

#10 on target

on target

Varminter

• 561 posts
  • Local time: 06:29 PM

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:55 AM

I to have had that burning feeling smile.gif
But then my knee's start to shake.Because i know that i have to tell the mrs
when i get home. Then my dinner gets that burning feeling laugh.gif
How can such a tiny bullet make such a big mess

#11 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts
  • Local time: 05:29 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 25 December 2005 - 12:41 PM

Colin your sort of in the same boat as Dad, except he buys his guns, somehow mum finds out (months later) then an all ensuing argument happens.

Glad I don't live at home with the parents, unlike my 16 year old brother.

Sheesh on our Camping trips in the bush I have to make sure he(lil brother) has no evidence on him that he's been shooting.

Because the blow up varmints! storm I copped when she found spent .22 cases in his pockets is not somthing I want to live through again. blink.gif ohmy.gif

Think thats bad, she was putting money into his wallet a year ago and found his Junior permit, she then cut it up in front of him and binned it.

I had to sneak the poor bugger to the cop shop and get a stat dec and have his duplicate sent to my address so mum didnt find it in the mail.

I now keep that permit to stop a repeat episode.
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#12 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 2,092 posts
  • Local time: 03:29 AM
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 27 December 2005 - 01:08 PM

AZZA, how did you hunt when you lived at home? That must have been very interesting! laugh.gif

#13 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 27 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

I kept my guns at a mates place and as far as mum was concerned I was going hikeing(thats how I explained away the backpack with all the trimmings).

Dad used to sneak us off for a shoot in the bush when mum was at work quite often. I'm not joking when I say that was carried out with military precision and timing to get the most out of 5 hours in the bush and then 3 hours to get home and hide equipment before dad picked mum up from work.

Dad dos'nt care, he just shrugs her off.
It's not so bad these days, but it was bad when I was younger.

Since I did the Diploma in Natural Resource Management, she has toned down considerably. The only reason mum hates guns is that she is a nurse(retired now).

Mum has her moments, just a matter of judging the tide and knowing how to walk on egg shells.

Still you gotta feel sorry for my lil brother, dad can go hunting, but it seems Carl cant in mums books now. Last time I took him hunting, his excuse to mum was he was staying at a mates place.
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-

#14 22kiwi

22kiwi

Varminter

• 176 posts
  • Local time: 08:29 PM

Posted 27 December 2005 - 10:47 PM

feel sorry for the little bugger, what age is it in aussie where you can buy your own ammo and guns?

#15 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,125 posts

Posted 28 December 2005 - 01:12 AM

18, Mate ohmy.gif