11 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,275 posts
  • Local time: 11:19 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 09:33 AM

Well, here I am again at that place where I kind of know what I want to buy, but not sure if I am ready to "pull the trigger".

This is what I am thinking about right now:

Buy another 10/22.
Buy a 17HM2 barrel kit (heavier bolt and carbon fiber barrel or aluminum sleeved barrel)(I'd buy a factory contour Green Mountain, but they are not available yet).
Buy a Hogue Overmolded stock.
Buy a factory contour Green Mountain .22 barrel.

All for under $650.00?? Maybe.

Here's my thinking.

Although I am competely happy with my 10/22 GSS, the heavy GM barrel makes it a poor walk-around-rifle, which is what I eventually wanted it to be. So, I would pull the GM barrel off of it and put it away for the next project.

I would replace that barrel with the 17HM2 barrel kit. So my GSS would now be a .17 Rimfire.

Next, I would take apart the new gun and put it on a Hogue Overmolded stock (or something similar and light) along with the factory contour GM .22 LR barrel and make a true, lighter, walk-around rifle.

The only issue after this would be finding a scope to put on it, which would probably mean selling the new Bausch & Lomb Elite 3000 3x9-50mm (that is still sitting in its box), so I can buy another lower power scope.

So, what do you think?!?!

Did I miss anything? huh.gif

Eric cool.gif

#2 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 12:08 PM

I like the idea of the walkaround rifle with the factory contour GM barrel. They make a sweet fluted job that would be great. I would go with a walnut stock on the 10/22... scout up a "deluxe" factory stock sans barrle band. My son and I both have factory "deluxe" 10/22's in their unaltered state and they are handy, fast handling rifles. I like the Hogue stocks but they are heavy and get stinky in the summer heat. As to optics, I'd go with a light magnification glass: maybe a decent 2-7X but that's just me... I like to balance the size of my optics to my rifle. Don't you love rimfires? No end to their brand of fun. ~AMMOe

#3 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 01:11 PM

Yep, I have that one for my wife's gun. We are putting it on a Boyd's thumbhole stock. I couldn't believe how light it was when it arrived, so I started thinking more and more about my own.

Thanks for the idea on the Ruger deluxe stock. I had been looking at some others (Corelight, etc) for the same reason you mentioned, the black rubber and summer heat. We were up in the Bakersfield area last week and it was close to 80 degrees. Later in the year it will be in the 100's!

Question for you...

I know you and MPMI were working with the .17 Aguila, so other than the magazine issue, do you see any problems shooting the Aguila out of the 17HM2 gun? I'd sure like to be able to use it for cottontail in July, as the .17's do a bit of damage if I don't do the job of putting it right behind their eye.

Thanks again for the ideas!

Eric cool.gif

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 04:12 PM

Update!!

I just bought a matte-black Whistle Pig gun barrel. It will come with the EABCO weighted bolt handle with it. The carbon's were a bit too much and this way it shaves some off the total.

Picture below...

Eric cool.gif

Attached Images

• BlkMatte.jpg

#5 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:19 PM

Eric: I've probably fired 3 or 4000 rounds (no exaggeration) of 17 Aguila in Mach2 chambers -both bolt and auto. Never a problem and the accuracy is good. I think I averaged .6" for 20, five shot groups, at 50M last time I cranked some through a semi auto. I have a 17 M2 sporter-weight barrel for my 77/22 and the average accuracy is about the same with either cartridge fired in that chamber. ~AMMOe

#6 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 04:55 AM

Another update!!

I bought the Green Mountain Sporter barrel, black fluted .22 lr yesterday.

-------------

Sounds good AMMOe! I will probably be ordering some along with the HM2 rounds here in a week or so.

Thanks for the info!

Eric cool.gif

#7 AMMOe

AMMOe

Varminter

• 1,886 posts

Posted 27 April 2005 - 12:19 PM

Good barrel! You'll be happy wih it.~AMMOe

#8 Poodlepopper

Poodlepopper

Varminter

• 11 posts
  • Local time: 10:19 PM
  • Interests:Shootin' tiny things, real far away!

Posted 27 April 2005 - 01:47 PM

I just went through converting my 10/22 to .17 HM2, got my stuff from magnum lite. Actually it was a christmas present, so I don't know how much it cost, I suppose I could look it up. I used to have a 20" fat barrell on it, was way to front heavy. Carbon fiber barrell gets my vote, right after I put it on it shot under a half inch at 100 yards, and the whole gun can't weigh much more than I've never really had much of a problem of stock stank off of my hogue, just right after I took it out of the package. Mebbe I should shower more often. Whats this aguila ammo you guys speak of? Technically different than other mach2 ammo I assume? But hopefully less distressing on the pocketbook? Anyways, heres what mine looks like.

#9 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • Admin
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 28 April 2005 - 09:48 PM

Another Update!!

I bought a Ruger 10/22 Sporter today, which I get to pick up in 10 days (welcome to California). Around $300.00 out the door (add around $50.00 for tax and dros fees). I figure the new .22 LR Green Mountain barrel can go on this gun and the new 17HM2 Whistle Pig will go on the GSS with the thumbhole.

-----------------

Poodlepopper,

The .17 Aguila is a perfect round for small game hunting when you don't want to blow them out like with the V-Max bullets. Check out AMMOe's stories on it HERE and HERE. The second story actually talks about shooting the Aguila in rifles chambered in 17HM2.

After a few phone conversations with MarinePMI and reading these stories, I figured to buy some 17 Aguila for my cottontail hunts coming up in July.

I'll post more info on it once I get the guns together.

Eric cool.gif

#10 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts
  • Local time: 10:19 PM

Posted 29 April 2005 - 08:16 AM

How about some new 5mm articles biggrin.gif mag-check

#11 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter