• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 finebead

finebead

Varminter

• 46 posts
  • Local time: 07:49 AM

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:43 PM

I'm shooting a Savage 12bvss .223 mostly. I got it new last XMAS, and I probably put 2,000 rounds through it this year (a good year for shooting for me). Most ammo is probably like factory ammo, just straighter. smile.gif

So, after how many rounds should I consider rebarreling?

What kind of barrel to get? Can I get a barrel just like it from Savage, or spend a bit more and get a custom barrel like a Hart or Lilja? I've read where the custom barrels are tighter at first, but wear down faster and need to be replaced sooner than a factory type barrel.

So what's yer advice?

Thanks,
Rich

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,233 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 02:54 PM

Sharp Shooters Supply has heavy contour Douglas barrels in stock for your rifle for around $240 or so. Same barrel that Savage uses.

I have about 3000 through my factory Savage .223 barrel and it still shoots as good as new.

As far as a custom barrel? I guess it's a personal choice. I can't imagine one shooting that much better (if any) than the one I have. Maybe I just got lucky and got one that shoots better than average, don't know.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#3 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,596 posts
  • Local time: 10:49 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 05:05 PM

My brother in law has been in the army since Vietnam. A fine man. He said the 223 should last 4000+ rds. It's kinda hard to shoot out a dedicated high round rifle.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#4 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 11:49 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:14 PM

He's talking .223's with chrome lined barrels though wink.gif
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#5 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:40 PM

It's throated out when the groups start to open up. If you only shoot a few rounds in a string, it will probably last many thousands.

custom bbl's do not shoot out any faster than factory ones.
Lead me not into temptation, but point me to it instead.

#6 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,596 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 06:57 PM

They weren't chromed in the beginning. Just the last 15--18 years or so. Not sure when he said that happened. You can still erode a chrome throat due to the heat of battle.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#7 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:09 PM

Heck yeah, lets just leave it at I know what your brother outlaw is saying. wink.gif I did notice that our F88s have stainless not Chrome vandium barrels, I'm sure they aint dipped to look like stainless. Iasked my cousin on that note and he's sure theyre stailness barrels to. YOu see you pop the whole barrel out of the reciever with a push swtich unter the cover and the barrel springs forward.

The part that is not exposed nomally is shiney silver coloured stainless, the exposes part of the barrell has a bakeon on matt black like the M16. He tells me even the M4 carbines in our services have come with stainless barrels. I suppose a smaller armed forces can afford the luxury I suppose.

Attached Images

• aug20b.gif

When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-

#8 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:11 PM

A photo from Bagdad of one of our boys on patrol. Note the open ejection port means that F88D does not have the saftey engaged and it's not empty. A closed port means an empty magazine or he hasnt chambered the fist round. Im no expert on the M4's(AR-15'), only fired one about 4 times to be familair with them. you guys who own civvy versions and RSCAR would have me beat in that department.

Attached Images

• patrol_baghdad_rest.jpg

Edited by AZZA, 11 December 2004 - 07:16 PM.

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 06:19 AM

Either way, these are not the type barrels or the shooting conditions of the typical shooter. Chrome lined bores are not found on hunting rifles as far as I know.

I'll bet the .223 barrel will last 5000 rounds as long as you don't cook it every time out. Mine has been pretty hot a few times and still shoots great. I estimate 3000 rounds thru mine but it could be more. It's a chrome moly barrel, it may last a little longer than Stainless? I don't know.

When mine starts to wonder I'll probably buy another from Sharp Shooters.

#10 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,596 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:42 AM

And maybe more. Keep the dirt out too. You gotta at least pull a patch thru it every once in a while. I save the deep cleaning for 100rds on everything excepy my 870. I clean it when I think about it. biggrin.gif

BTW-- I have no idea how many rds are thru Dads 222 Stevens he bought new in 1965. With the advancements in powder/primer/bullet combinations it still shoots as good now as it did new. Thats a good thing cause I want it when the time comes. I can wait. The longer the better.

Edited by Glen, 12 December 2004 - 07:45 AM.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#11 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 07:53 AM

Mine takes a few fouling shots to dial it in. When P.D. shooting I clean after 100 rounds. It's still shooting good at that point and have found no reason to clean before that. Not the case with 22-250's I've owned. They both seemed to need cleaning after 50 rounds as accuracy fell off.

#12 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,596 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:08 AM

After 50rds it's prolly about time for a cooling session anyhow right??

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#13 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,233 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:23 AM

The 22-250 gets hot long before that if you just keep shooting. I generally trade off. When one gets hot, swap rifles. The 22-250 rounds are kept in a 50 round box and .223's in a 100 round box so I know how many have been fired. Clean when the box is empty. Cleaning helps cool the barrel too.

#14 skypilotbc

skypilotbc

Varminter

• 1,782 posts
  • Local time: 08:49 AM
  • Interests:Shooting sports of all kinds, amateur astronomer/astrophotographer,Bible studies, guitars

Posted 12 December 2004 - 08:44 AM

When I finally shot out the factory CM barrel on my Rem 22-250 it had over 25,000 rds through it. Never let it get too hot to hold and would sometimes just pull a patch through while havin' at em. I use the Otis cleaning system now and like it. Shooting PD's in S Dakota has been more intense and I have used a funnel to slowly pour cold water down the barrel. Pull a couple of dry patches through to mop up the water and powder fouling, pull a brush, with whatever solvent I'm using at the moment, through and patches until clean. Then back to shooting
Bob
You don't have to be crazy to do this...
but it helps!!

Not the "Party of No!" It Is, We the People saying Hell No!!!
The quest for something to blow a hole in continues!
"...beginning of the end" B Hussein OBombus

When you are up to your armpits in alligators, it can sometimes be difficult to remember that your initial objective.....was to drain the flippin' swamp!!

#15 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts

Posted 12 December 2004 - 02:59 PM

Has anyboddy seen the G&A article where a guy put a water jacket on a 10/22, I thought the guy was just doing it as a looney novelty. After these few posts I've seen, I'm thinking maybe he wasnt so looney after all. wink.gif