6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyk

dannyk

Varminter

• 21 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, motorcycles, atv's, photography

Posted 28 June 2004 - 08:59 AM

What seems to be the best load and powder for the 223 Ultra H&R rifle?
I have been experimenting with differn't weight bullets and powder trying to get the best match for my gun, Was just wondering what others have found for this particular gun, it has a 1/12 twist bbl.

#2 cybrfire

cybrfire

Varminter

• 330 posts
  • Local time: 03:44 PM
  • Interests:varmint hunting, hunting in general and 4 wheel drive trucks.

Posted 28 June 2004 - 07:04 PM

I'm loading 25.5 grains of H335 and a 55 grain vmax. Seems to be working pretty well.

#3 dannyk

dannyk

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 04:44 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, motorcycles, atv's, photography

Posted 29 June 2004 - 02:24 AM

Cybrfire, What kind of groups are you getting with the 55gr bullets and the H335, mine did not want to group with that combo. I have tried 55gr v max, 52gr HP, 40gr v max, and 35gr v max with 3 differn't powders. This is my first time with reloading and also this caliber.

#4 cybrfire

cybrfire

Varminter

• 330 posts
  • Interests:varmint hunting, hunting in general and 4 wheel drive trucks.

Posted 29 June 2004 - 07:47 PM

With the H and R I'm getting between .5 and .625" and really haven't been able to get real serious about it. Basically the same load but a hair hotter on my AR and another bolt gun and I'm getting sub .5 MOA. Really haven't played with it too much. Seems to work good right there.

#5 Tusero

Tusero

Varminter

• 188 posts
  • Interests:Varmint shooting, mostly prairie dogs. Waterfowl hunting. Competition duck calling. Duck Call Maker. Ducks Unlimited Volunteer.<br><br>All shotgun sports

Posted 04 July 2004 - 11:11 AM

rolleyes.gif I can't vouch for the rifle but I have been getting outstanding results using Reliant Reloader 10x powder

My most accurate load so far has been:
Case: Whatever I use
Primer: WSR
Powder: 24.2 grains of Reloader 10x
Bullet: 50 grain ballistic tips (Hornady, Nosler, or Sierra)
COL: 2.200
Velocity: 3389 fps

I don't really shoot for bench rest accuracy but I can cover 10 shots with a quarter (at 100 yards) and to me that is 10 dead prairie dogs. And that is shooting a Ruger M77MKII, or K77VT in .223. But the rifle shoots much better that I can!

Edited by Tusero, 04 July 2004 - 11:12 AM.

#6 redmistmd

redmistmd

Varminter

• 728 posts
  • Interests:hunting, vapin varmints ,camping,backpacking,scuba diving,sky diving,skiing but mostly hunting.and working around the house on projects and playing with my awsome family

Posted 08 July 2004 - 06:07 PM

I ve a couple of them and been around even more and the best load Ive heard of is 4 lbs of C-4 then get a rem or savage or winchester or CZ or even a tikka or sako sorry some ppl like em just not me I found them very inconsistant year after year gun after gun but some like em so good on ya

#7 shooter

shooter

Varminter

• 2,905 posts
  • Local time: 05:44 PM
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Killing, Calling, Shooting critters, Hunting critters, Killing critters, Calling critters, 4 Wheel Drives, and Mostly My Family

Posted 08 July 2004 - 08:08 PM

anim_rofl2.gif

I'm glad somebody started that! I don't think 4 lbs is enough Redmistmd. Maybe we'll see somemore comments that will give us the right charge weight. laugh.gif
The ROCK