Ohio's $50 Coyote Bounty

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,664 posts
  • Local time: 03:24 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

http://www.predatorm...f=7&t=001843&p=

This is what I've found. The rest of the above link is responses from the members of that site.

posted 04-14-2004 03:56 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rep proposes bounty on coyotes

By Brad Bauer, bbauer@mariettatimes.com

A year after Washington County livestock farmers experienced record losses from coyote attacks, legislation is pending in the Ohio House that would reward hunters for killing the animals.

State Rep. Jimmy Stewart (R-Athens) recently proposed a $50 bounty be paid to any hunter who kills a coyote in Ohio. The bounty is expected to help control the population of the animal, which is continuing to grow.
Farmer Mike Rech, 49, whose farm is off Ohio 821 in Muskingum Township, said he supports the notion of putting a bounty on coyotes. He has already lost two calves this year and knows the worst could be yet to come.

"It wouldn't hurt anything," Rech said of putting a bounty on coyotes. "It could get more people out to hunt them and get their numbers down a little. Something's got to be done, though."

In Washington County, coyote claims reached nearly $10,000 last year. Most of those attacks came in the summer months. This year to date, $1,500 in claims have been filed in the county.

In all of 2002, 10 claims worth $2,315 were filed in Washington County, indicating the problem is growing.

Without any natural predators, coyotes have continued to grow in numbers and spread across Ohio and the region. Coyotes are not indigenous to Ohio and likely migrated here from the West.

Ohio currently posts an open hunting season for coyotes, meaning the animal can be hunted any time and without limit.

Washington County Dog Warden Bill Greathouse is responsible for investigating all coyote claims in the county. He said the number of coyotes continues to grow in the county.

"It is a problem, and I expect it will continue to grow as a problem," Greathouse said.

Greathouse said he had mixed feelings about a bounty, but noted local farmers are suffering significant losses.

"Farmers never get what they should with their claims," Greathouse said. "And there's a lot more losses than claims are ever made."

Although the Ohio Department of Agriculture compensates farmers with "fair market value" of animals killed by coyotes, farmers lose any potential gains from the animals. For example, a farmer who loses a newborn calf might only be compensated about $150 when the animal, at maturity, could bring $800 or more.

But farmers can only collect if a carcass can be found and if it can be proved the loss was the result of a coyote attack.

"A lot of times there isn't anything to find," Greathouse said. "They'll drag the animal off and it will never be found. That happens more times than not."

Stewart said he expects the money paid in bounties would be less than what is paid by the state to farmers in coyote claims.

Statewide, from July 2002 to June 2003, the Ohio Department of Agriculture received 203 coyote claims and paid $22,830.30 to farmers.

"We're not talking about millions of dollars we expect to have to pay out," Stewart said. "I want to help small farmers. They are under enough pressures already, and this is one way I think we can do that."

The bounty would be paid from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Stewart said. However, he said he was considering amending the bill to require the Department of Agriculture to pay the bounty.

ODNR Wildlife Management Supervisor Keith Morrow said regardless of where funding would come from, the issue of issuing a bounty is not a good idea.

"The U.S. has a long history of bounties ... and the history shows it is not a good means for controlling damage to livestock," Morrow said. "If it would work I would be all for it."

Morrow said a few problems with a bounty is that coyotes killed in neighboring states could be checked in, and studies show - especially in coyotes - that the predator population would need to be reduced by two-thirds to effect a change in livestock kills.

--------------------
US PREDATOR REGULATORS
IOWA CHAPTER

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Glen R Shaffer, 14 May 2004 - 04:44 PM.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#2 onecoyote

onecoyote

Varminter

• 184 posts
  • Local time: 11:24 AM

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:24 AM

Many times coyotes get blamed for what wild dogs do and I'm sure they have a few in Ohio. Bountys never worked in the past on coyotes and they wont work now. It's just going to give serious predator callers and trappers some extra spending money lol. Anytime someone comes up with stats, I get nerous. I wonder if the people that say there are lots of coyotes in Ohio have ever hunted them in parts of Texas, southern Arizona or northern Mexico where they are so thick in some places it's unbeliveable. Yet the cattle ranchers servive, hows that? Just food for thought, wink.gif Good Hunting.

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,354 posts
  • Local time: 12:24 PM

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:30 PM

I have mixed feelings on it as well. I'd love to be able to get $50 for a coyote. Especially the mangy or otherwise flawed ones that are worthless as far as fur goes.

On the other hand, the bounty is likely to put extra pressure on the coyotes by every Tom, Dick, and Harry being after them. Most certainly more coyotes will be killed at least in the beginning but in the long run it'll likely smarten them up making them even more difficult to call these weary mid-western dogs.

Hey Glen, We could meet at a truck stop were I'll hand over a few IL dogs,,,split the Ohio bounty wit ya wink.gif

Gofundme.com/bayou

#4 dog gone

dog gone

Varminter

• 814 posts
  • Interests:Calling coyotes, full moon hunting, fishing , Kids, grandkids, more coyote hunting, Snow, Playing with guns, Playing with other peoples guns, coyote calling, Bird watching, Astronomy,shooting coyotes, Wild Turkey 101 proof, work ??,watching wife cook supper, eating, Oh! did I mention coyote calling???

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:18 PM

Lets see,,, gas is $2 a gallon,,, Mr Eds farm truck could maybe hold 350 dead coyotes,, figure,figure,figure , 4 mpg at about,,, figure,figure figure,,, Hey Red !!! could I drop some off at that truck stop,,, I mean as long as Glen goin that way,, what the hey , good Nebr. fed coyotes,,,, Ohio prices !!!!

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,354 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:02 AM

doggone,

I could relay yours to Ohio or Indiana from here and Glen gets the handoff. Did I mention I have free access to a 2 ton dump truck? biggrin.gif

I know we're joking around but don't you think guys from surrounding states have already thought of this? The cost of whatever license it takes for an out-of-stater to kill coyotes in Ohio is all that would be needed and they could come from anywhere. If I were a fur buyer close by It'd be awfull tempting. 20 coyotes = $1000....hmmmm

Edited by Red, 16 May 2004 - 03:37 AM.

Gofundme.com/bayou

#6 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 12,664 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:14 AM

You guys are all correct. The farmers I know haven't been complaining about losses. I believe we have a larger population of wild dogs than we do coyotes. Every once in a while I'll see a small pack while squirrel hunting. never close enough to do anything about but they are there. Our rabbit & chipmunk populations are at an all time high around where I'm at also. The turkeys are re-populating themselves to the point where the farmers talk more about them. The deer herd is so healthy its not uncommon to see 50-60 in a 1 hr ride in the evenings. We don't have many pheasant or quail but I think thats a direct result of food competition with the much larger turkeys. The fox population is rebounding as I went for quite a few years without even a glimpse of one. Now I see an occasional red or grey out and about. The farmers really want the crows,rabbits,g-hogs, & chipmunks thinned out. The chipmunks dig up there seeds. A bounty would cause more harm than good because there are enough morons out there now that movement shoot. How much faster will they snap one off at the thought of a lousy 50 bucks. And you can't stop people from bringing them across the border. I feel for the farmes but a lousy 50 bucks might get one of there livestock shot by an idiot also. But hey,, thats just my thoughts. I waited to post so I could get your opinions 1st. I guess we agree.

$50 x a 2 ton dump truck ==================== I don't know but it sure would stink. laugh.gif

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,354 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

I've had a few farmers here tell me they did not want coyotes shot because they keep the groundhog population in check. So I offered to shoot the groundhogs too wink.gif but they didn't bite. Also one guy who is a "no till farmer" likes the coyotes as they eat a lot of mice. Still overwhelmingly I get the go ahead from most farmers and if they have livestock it's almost a sure deal I'll get my foot in the door.

I have mostly gotten all the good out of my trusty old spots. One old standby area did not even produce a coyote sighting this past fall/winter. I'm seeing a few rabbits and lots of rabbit tracks there which were not present 5 years ago. I know coyotes are still there but not as many as there was a while ago. The ones that are left are either nocturnal or just plain call smart.

Once you get that bounty in place you can bet coyote hunting will get tougher. The dumber ones will be dead in short order and the smarter ones simply will not come to the call.

Gofundme.com/bayou

#8 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 12,664 posts

Posted 16 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

I'm still not sure I would like the bounty. Just seems like too many things could happen. Most of them bad. I think the law enforcement agencies have enough on their plate as it is & this would add out of state investigations to it. Just seems like an awful lot of bad things could happen with this. Maybe I'm just skeptical & not willing to accept change. The bottom line has always been & should continue to be safety. Again, these are just my thoughts & any input toward this proposal is appreciated.

Edited by Glen R Shaffer, 16 May 2004 - 03:20 PM.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#9 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 05:24 AM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 23 May 2004 - 08:45 PM

From the Aussie perspective on this, our problems arise from feral(wild domestic Canis familiaris familiaris) dogs crossing with the 40,000 year old native Dingo(Canis familiaris dingo). On that not I hopeing that domestic breeds are not crossing with the Coyote(Canis latrans).

Even though I condone the sensible hunting of the yote, I as an ecology student cant condone whole sale slaughter of a native animal. From what Iv'e learnt about the native dogs of North America(Wolves and yotes etc), they play an important predatory role(weeding out the old and week deer and other prey thus helping with genetic diversity of said prey animal).

They are also the canine version of crows in their ability to clean up carcases and even pesky bugs that farmers wish hey never hade to spend dollars on in their chemical conrol.

If they are going to bring in the bounty, maybe a permit should be issued and only those with said permit would get the bounty, and to obtain the permit, one would have to attend an education seminar, and do as Red said, target the mangy yotes etc. wink.gif
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#10 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 12,664 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 01:17 AM

The coyote is valuable to the system no doubt. Its the farm animals that are getting them bountied. Easy prey when they are fenced in.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#11 onecoyote

onecoyote

Varminter

• 184 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 12:31 PM

To be honest, how is a coyote valuable to the system? It keeps the house cat population under control? lol. Coyotes don't really do anything except eat whatever is available be it mesquite beans, watermellons, jack rabbits etc. They are not doing nature much of a favor. I for one respect the coyote as a serviver in a world that's out to get him. No doubt it's one of Gods greatest animals BUT, they can be a pain and do need to be controled at times. My personal feeling about the populations of coyotes in some areas are way off base. I have seen people that wouldn't know a coyote from a german shepard............ Was it a pack of wild dogs that killed the calf or a couple of coyotes? Unless the people actually seen it and knew what coyotes looked like, I wouldn't believe them.

#12 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 12,664 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 04:26 PM

The coyote preys on weak & diseased animals as well as cleaning up carion. I think we've got more wild dogs that need to be addressed than coyotes. And you are right, if you didn't see the attacker then how do you always know what killed the livestock. I don't like the bounty idea either for my above reasons. I've seen them but always at inopportune times. If the one this past Jan would have come around during deer gun season I would have used the muzzle loader on him. I know we've had wild dogs for years because we would get a glimpse of them when hunting or even driving down the road. Some of those have fallen to the .222Rem while g-hog hunting.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#13 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 05:24 AM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 24 May 2004 - 11:31 PM

Theirs some pretty well thought out answers here on this subject. biggrin.gif
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#14 onecoyote

onecoyote

Varminter

• 184 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:59 AM

Glen old buddy, believe me when I say this. A coyote can and well kill what ever it can catch, not just the weak an old, the same goes for all the predators. wink.gif

#15 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 12,664 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 05:10 PM

I believe.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52