• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#31 nuttinbutchunks

nuttinbutchunks

Varminter

• 288 posts
  • Local time: 03:07 AM

Posted 08 August 2004 - 03:08 PM

I'm form Whittier, California originally, but now I live in Lehi, Utah. I didn't think you could hunt in the People's Republic of California, since they have all those goofy gun laws. But I'm glad someone does.
I now hunt here when I get the chance. I have my first deer license for Northern Utah, but don't know where I'll go since I'm not familiar with the area yet. I've hunted PDs here though in sage brush farm land, as well as rock chucks and jack rabbits.

#32 mejeepnut

mejeepnut

Varminter

• 80 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 AM

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:09 AM

Bailey Island,Maine.Except for the 2 foxes and 1 red squirrel The only varmints around here are the summer people.Although we have a large cat population my wife says "NO!"and so far I have listened to her.
I hunt deer and in past years that has been inland but this year I am going to stick to the Islands witch is shotgun or black powder only.I put together a CVA .50 kit this past winter and picked up a cheap 12ga. single.Hunting Islands is fun but more of a challange then you might think.The trees grow differant becouse of the wind,short and thick.You can't see clearly more than 15 yards in most places and the Island I hunted last year was all short steep ridges with swamp inbetween.8 of us hitched a ride on a lobster boat and the Island was only about a mile long and less than a half mile wide.We all saw deer but nobody got off a shot.I kind of like that,I never hunted with these guys before and it is nice to know they wait until they are sure of there shot.
I think I am going to try Duck hunting from a kayak this year as well.I have never duck hunted and I am new to kayaks as well but I am going to give it a try.
As far as varmint hunting I will get there some day but if someone sends me some prarie dogs I will send you some cats.There is a lifetime guarantee on the cats,if you shoot one or lose one I will send you 2 to replace it.No questions asked.

Edited by mejeepnut, 09 August 2004 - 05:22 AM.

#33 Michael

Michael

Varminter

• 188 posts
  • Local time: 02:07 AM

Posted 20 August 2004 - 04:29 AM

Boise , Idaho . My dad and I hunt mostly in the desert killing whistlepigs and Badgers . I grew up in a little town Northeast of Boise called Idaho City , very mountainous and beautiful country and that is where I do my Elk and Deer hunting .

#34 lance

lance

Varminter

• 148 posts
  • Interests:anything outdoors. target shooting, rifle,shotgun, handgun, bow. Hunting as much as I can, anything with a open season. Camping/ATV riding. Early Ice Fishig. Taking my kids, and wife with me as much as possible.

Posted 22 August 2004 - 07:08 AM

Dalton, Ottertail county, West Central, MN. Rolling hills of wheat, beans, alfalfa, and corn. Seperated by lakes, sloughs, rivers, and woods. In my free time I enjoy hunting deer, with rifle and bow, ducks and geese, ruffed grouse, and all other critters big and small. The only problem, there dosen't seem to be a lot of free time. Maybe when the kids get a little older, there wil be more free time, if I can get them interested.

#35 sharpshooter300w

sharpshooter300w

Varminter

• 121 posts

Posted 27 August 2004 - 10:54 AM

Eastern Oregon: High dessert, Pine tree filled mountains, rolling weat fields.

#36 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 12 September 2004 - 02:28 PM

Any new fellers wanting to fess up?? biggrin.gif

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#37 Hildy

Hildy

Varminter

• 54 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, ATV's, Computers, outdoors, shooting, reloading

Posted 12 September 2004 - 04:06 PM

Danville Pa. Its in central Pennsylvania.

My shooting consists of either thick woods or open fields. I like field hunting more so than woods hunting. It is just great to be on an open plain with a long-range varmint getter in hand.

I would like to go out west some time and go on a p-dog hunt. Sorry westerners, I know you guys think us 'tourists' are a pain tongue.gif

Hildy

#38 SD Handgunner

SD Handgunner

Varminter

• 85 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:42 AM

Well I am too from Farm Country USA. For me that would be the extreme northeastern corner of South Dakota, 5 miles from North Dakota and 8 miles from Minnesota. This area has some diversifed areas with lots of FLAT farm land, a dried up lake bottom that is 2 1/2 miles wide by 10 miles long, and then to the west we get into some hilly country. While there are a few shelterbelts around in spots, that is about the extent of the trees in the area.

Since 1982 I have been Shooting / Hunting with Single Shot Handguns, hense the name SD Handgunner. For the most part this has been with T/C Contenders, but there have also been a couple Remington XP-100's and a Savage Striker that have come and gone as well.

Though I haven't been able to for the past couple years (new job and all), I try to get out to west central South Dakota as often as I can shooting Prairie Dogs. I have learned that these Single Shot Handguns are not really a handicap in this type of shooting, and that the Handgun Scopes themselves are more a limiting factory than the guns and cartridges. I also enjoy Calling Coyotes, and who knows some day I may even get good at it.

Thanks for listening.

SD Handgunner

#39 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

Welcome back SD H. Post away & have some fun. biggrin.gif

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#40 Redryder

Redryder

Varminter

• 16 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor recreation and my family.

Posted 25 September 2004 - 02:17 AM

From good 'ol Utah. I hunt mostly the sagebrush rolling hills and flats around 5000 feet.

#41 sportsmandoug

sportsmandoug

Varminter

• 59 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 04:09 AM

I'm from Northumberland, PA. I hunt the same type of woods and fields as Hildy. I hunt for mainly whitetails and some turkey. I use to do more groundhog hunting than I do now. Since, I gave up trout fishing, I'll start groundhog hunting more.

#42 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 11:56 AM

I know we got some new folks around here. Anybody else wanna fess up to there whereabouts?? biggrin.gif

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#43 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts

Posted 02 November 2004 - 12:01 PM

It's been 3 weeks so it's time to bump this up again. biggrin.gif

Any new confessions?? laugh.gif

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#44 skypilotbc

skypilotbc

Varminter

• 1,782 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 AM
  • Interests:Shooting sports of all kinds, amateur astronomer/astrophotographer,Bible studies, guitars

Posted 03 November 2004 - 07:47 PM

Been a member for a while and tried to post a few times but could not get beyond the log-in. Each new page stated I was not logged-in??? Anyway, Hi! My name is Bob and I live in the Kansas City Metro area north of the river. Got addicted to varmint hunting while stationed at Ft Carson, CO. Made two trips to S. Dakota this year for pasture-poodle pulverizing. Shot the throat out of my Nesika 6mmAI the first trip and finished the wear-out process on my Rem 22-250. Now have 2 barrels for the Nesika and a new one for the Rem. Also just got a Savage Mod 12FV-S in 204 Ruger that shoots bug holes at 4300 fps. Is it spring yet?
Bob
You don't have to be crazy to do this...
but it helps!!

Not the "Party of No!" It Is, We the People saying Hell No!!!
The quest for something to blow a hole in continues!
"...beginning of the end" B Hussein OBombus

When you are up to your armpits in alligators, it can sometimes be difficult to remember that your initial objective.....was to drain the flippin' swamp!!

#45 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:17 AM

Welcome to the board Bob. The log-in is case sensitive. Glad you made it in now.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52