• Please log in to reply
576 replies to this topic

#16 mokus

mokus

Varminter

• 164 posts
  • Local time: 02:34 AM

Posted 03 May 2004 - 10:26 AM

Well the old man MOKUS is from the WET side of washington state. we dont have much for varmints on this side of the state out side of some farm land yotes. I do most of my varmint shooting shooting on the east side, whitch is rolling sage brush hills and some almost desert country. We do have some wonderful river fishing for steelhead and salmon near here and lots of salt water salmon and bottom fishing. the lakes are planted with trout and their as some VERy goos bass fishing for both large and small mouth. We have some decent perch, crappie and gill fishin too. I do quite a bit of fly fishing for trout and salmon and steelhead as wel as I used to do tournement bassin.

#17 onecoyote

onecoyote

Varminter

• 184 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 04:15 PM

I'm in the California desert. We have it all, from 282 feet below sea level, to 14,498 feet above sea level. 400' trees and trees 100' around. We have trees over 5,000 years old and bushes over 10,000 years old. We have a thousand miles of beaches and the Sierra Nevadas. An awsome place........We also have a population of close to 40,000,000 humans lol, what a mess.

#18 Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge

Varminter

• 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 06:22 PM

S.E. Michigan; most of the areas I hunt are open fields interspersed with woodlots, and river bottoms.

#19 hogslayer

hogslayer

Varminter

• 5 posts
  • Local time: 01:34 AM

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:17 AM

Am in central OH,30 miles nw of columbus.Mostly farm ground, and new houses.Will be hading to S.D. end of June,can't wait

#20 sac/calshooter

sac/calshooter

Varminter

• 77 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:22 PM

Hi All am from Sacramento, Ca. mostly shoot in upper end of the state cool.gif

#21 JimBob

JimBob

Varminter

• 194 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 09:04 PM

Live west of Houston; also have a small place in east Texas not too far from Texas A&M.....post oak, yaupon, and a few pine trees. Most of my hunting is on my buddies place west of Uvalde....mesquite, sage, cactus, and persimmons up on the flat, oak, willows, and a MILLION pecan trees in the bottom off of the Nueces river.....gillions of squirrels there (that's where my subsonic 17 (if it happens) will get it's workout. Deer, Turkey, hogs, bobcats, skunks, possums and even a few porcupines. Several of the guys have seen badgers, but I haven't seen one. Hear coyotes all the time, but rarely get more than a quick glimps. Also saw a buffalo, once...flood had washed out the fences to an exotic ranch up river (as well as my buddies), and a big buffalo cow was wandering around. And me without my rolling block....just my old Single Six 22......
JimBob

#22 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts
  • Local time: 07:34 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:19 PM

Any confessions from the new folks??

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#23 ledz

ledz

Varminter

• 109 posts

Posted 06 June 2004 - 09:32 AM

Idaho Falls, ID.. newly transplanted from NE PA. haven't been hunting, but terrain is mostly lava fields/rocky, potato farms, and mountains all around.. haven't been for a good hike in the mountains yet, but that is definitely on tap soon. just know that it is WAYYY different than from back east.

ledz

#24 ex-eskimo

ex-eskimo

Varminter

• 8 posts
  • Interests:well i grew up in alaska and oregon so outdoors anything is my hobbies. i love to fish , flyfish. bowfish, hunt, and just recently picked up surfing. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place as far as hunting goes in va. (no rifles) so my collection sits in oregon collecting dust. My trusty marlin .17 and rossi .22mag are all that are keeping me company.

Posted 06 June 2004 - 12:55 PM

well mokus it is good to hear from somebody in about the same disposition. When i am where i call home i am in western oregon in the coastal range. very few varmints but you do run across a few yotes down in the valley, and if you are patient there are plenty of bobcats. Where the varmints are is eastern oregon, lots of rolling sage with mountains with plenty of ponderosa pine. land filled with p-dogs, yotes, and pumas. but ofcourse the land of plenty is far away. for i am stationed in virginia at the moment, so mokus you need to get out and enjoy it so i can live vicariously through you. good shooting

#25 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 07 June 2004 - 05:11 PM

We've got a lot of new members. Don't be shy. Let us know what you like to shoot & shoot at & where you're doing it. It would be nice to get everybody involved in the topics we're discussing here. Come on & post up. We've only got about 400 members now & you never know who you live close enough to for a hook-up on p-dogs or yotes. Could be interesting as making new friends always is.

Edit -- btt

Edited by Glen R Shaffer, 16 June 2004 - 05:23 AM.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#26 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 05:33 AM

btt

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#27 bhos

bhos

Varminter

• 6 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 10:51 AM

Saskatchewan, Canada straight north of the Montana/ N Dakota Stateline. Flat farmland with some bush in the south half of the province. Some of the best whitetail hunting anywhere. There are a decent amount of Pheasants ,partridge, fox ,coyote and ground squirrels also.
The north is forest and lakes. Great for hunting elk, moose and bear.
The only drawbacks are high taxes ,stupid gun control laws and 40 below winters.

#28 farginicehole

farginicehole

Varminter

• 488 posts

Posted 16 July 2004 - 11:52 AM

Southwest Michigan. Lots of woods and farmland - corn, soybeans, wheat, etc. Tons of whitetails, and lots of good fishing lakes and rivers. Less than an hour drive to some great Lake Michigan ports for steelhead, kings (chinooks), cohos (silvers), brown trout, lake trout and lake perch. I need to get some of these home projects finished so I can get back to fishing and get a little more serious about hunting before I lose what's left of my sanity! huh.gif

#29 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,852 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:38 AM

Just wondering about a few of the new members hunting grounds. ph34r.gif

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#30 Mag-Check

Mag-Check

Varminter

• Removed Himself
  • 1,459 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 10:48 AM

Mena Arkansas right in the middle of the Ouachita Mountians the most beautiful place on Gods green earth! Like hunting for Deer and Turkey small game and fishing for Trout and shooting my Rimfire Magnums! Mag-check biggrin.gif biggrin.gif