553 replies to this topic

#1 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 3,590 posts
  • Local time: 10:55 AM

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:00 PM

I'm just wondering where everyone hails from. I see posts and try to picture the type of hunting terrain, but can't figure it out because I don't really know where anyone is.

So, why don't we all post where we are from and what type of terrain you hunt?

I am from Los Angeles, California. I hunt high desert (elevations of 4000'+) which sometimes intermingle with scrub oak and pinion pines. Also, mountains with pines and oaks and rolling hills with oaks.

I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone! Lurkers, you too!! ohmy.gif

Eric A. Mayer cool.gif

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#2 gunut

gunut

Varminter

• 1,038 posts
  • Interests:hunting,shooting,fishing,reloading,softball,motorcycles

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:08 PM

carlsbad n.m. 3200ft desert terrain. mountains 5000- to 8000ft. within 1hr. to 3hr.
i would have a kick a$$ sig line but they keep editing it.

#3 shooter

shooter

Varminter

• 2,905 posts
  • Local time: 11:55 AM
  • Interests:Shooting, Hunting, Killing, Calling, Shooting critters, Hunting critters, Killing critters, Calling critters, 4 Wheel Drives, and Mostly My Family

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:22 PM

I'm also in Carlsbad N.M. We have desert terrain w/ sand, mesquite, and sage brush on one side and juniper
and pinion pine on the other. Ruidoso N.M. is about 2.5 hrs. from us w/ high mountains up to 12000 ft.
We have what the map says is a river (pecos). There is water to fish but not much. You can also drive for about
an hour and be in very rugged desert mountain terrain. wink.gif
The ROCK

#4 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts
  • Local time: 12:55 PM

Posted 25 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

I'm from S.W. MN in Yellow Medicine county bout 30 miles from the SoDak border. 1000ft above sea level. It's flat, black dirt (good ole glacial till;) ), farmland cut in 1 miles sections, as seen in the "Children of the Corn" movies good for red fox and pheasant and cottontails. A few abandoned farmsites make good places to poke around. A short jog to the border is pasture land rolling small hills and cricks where coyote frollick and there's some ground squirel fields out there, too.

flatlander
Lead me not into temptation, but point me to it instead.

#5 steve o

steve o

Varminter

• 98 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, varminting, fishing, snowmobiling

Posted 25 April 2004 - 07:08 PM

A few hours east of flatlander, southern central MN , Mower county, home of Hormel and Spam! Pretty flat here, farms mostly, hunt anything that moves, deer, squirell, pheasant, fox etc.
Waiting to go shoot prairie dogs in 3 weeks in SD. biggrin.gif

Edited by steve o, 26 April 2004 - 07:15 AM.

#6 tomtilkens

tomtilkens

Varminter

• 251 posts
  • Interests:Getting to know God more and more, my beautiful wife Shannon and hunting. This is life to me! <br><br>I hunt varied areas ranging from crop fields intermingled with small woods, quarries, national forest, marshland and lakeshores-especially the shore of Green Bay/Lake Michigan.

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:05 AM

I'm from Green Bay WI. I mostly hunt somewhat flat terrain; farm fields mixed with small woods. Lakes and the shore of Green Bay is highly productive too (read "big ice"). These areas are dominated by cattails and marsh grasses.

#7 skb2706

skb2706

Varminter

• 969 posts
  • Local time: 09:55 AM
  • Interests:First and foremost a shooter.........I have always hunted and for the most part done pretty well. Definitely a better shooter. I hunt big game all over the state of CO including antelope, deer and elk. I between BG hunts I fill in with lots of prairie dogs and this year 2004 I am going to KS for a deer hunt. Just got hooked up for my first official coyote hunt end of Feb. 2004. I have access to lots of excellent prairie property and the hospitality is excellent too. Go figure my big sis married a guy that farms 12000 acres.

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:53 AM

Live in Denver, CO and hunt alot of the eastern plains for deer, antelope, prairie dogs and coyotes. Basically dry land farm country with sage brush sand hills and lots of CRP land. To the west I hunt elk in several different high mountain areas up to timberline that are pretty much pine forest and rock country with lots of aspen valleys and wild grass meadows.

#8 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 12,631 posts
  • Local time: 03:55 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:58 AM

New Philadelphia, Ohio. 3/4 farm ground & the rest is rolling hills with very long wooded valleys. Oak,poplar,white pine,hickory,wild cherry,walnut & a few other tree types. Squirrels,crows,turkeys,deer,g-hogs,rabbits,coyote, & the occasional fox or raccoon when in season. I am 25 minutes south of the Pro Football HOF in Canton on I-77.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#9 Phessor

Phessor

Varminter

• 130 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, Jeeping and the great Outdoors!!!

Posted 26 April 2004 - 05:04 PM

I am from Eastern Arizona, the White Mountains. My front yard has an elevation of 7019 feet. Arizona is known for having the largest stand of Ponderosa pine forest in North America. Well at least we did two years ago before the Rodeo/Chedeski fire went through and burned 468,638 acres of our forest.

To the north are grass lands mixed with cedars with rolling hills and small canyons that drop down to 5600 feet . This is pronghorn country. it also has coyotes, crows, foxes, great prairie dog villages and mountain lions.

To the South are pine forests with mountains up to 11000 feet. This is elk country, it also has coyotes and deer.

To the East are cedars, pinion trees and black mesas with small canyons. This is coyote country, it also has crow and feral pigs.

To the west are grass lands that go up to a pine forest with hills in elevation of 10000 feet. This is also pronghorn country, it also has elk, deer, coyote, and bobcats.

Although my Dad used to varmint hunt a lot I did not get excited about it until recently. So far I have mostly shot prairie dogs. I am just starting to get into coyote calling. It looks to be a fun sport. Thank you all for all of your help so far. cool.gif

Edited by Phessor, 26 April 2004 - 05:06 PM.

#10 biglittleguner

biglittleguner

Varminter

• 10 posts
  • Interests:Leavin for Iraq next week.

Posted 26 April 2004 - 06:05 PM

Well I am from Minnesota and I have lived everywhere from the SE to the NE(Duluth) which is by far my favorite town I have ever lived in. Right now I live in Forest Lake, Minnesota which is 30-45 minutes north of the Twin Cities.

#11 cybrfire

cybrfire

Varminter

• 330 posts
  • Interests:varmint hunting, hunting in general and 4 wheel drive trucks.

Posted 27 April 2004 - 11:47 AM

Norhtwest Iowa. Corn as far as the eye can see. Beyond what you can see i'm sure its a bean field.

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,263 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 03:56 PM

South Western IL. 20 minutes east of St. Louis MO and the Mississippi River.

Cyber, there is no way you guys can have even more corn than us. Farm fields broken by small woodlots of oak, maple, sycamore, cottonwood, hickory, etc. and new houses popping up every frickin place I look, urban sprawl dry.gif We do have some beans and milo as well and a crick here and there. Pretty flat for the most part.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#13 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,048 posts
  • Local time: 04:55 AM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 27 April 2004 - 05:07 PM

The Great southern land Downunder, I'm in Victoria, 25 miles from its capitol Melbourne, 3/4 Mile from the nearest state foreast where your allowed to hunt Free range Sambar(Cervus unicolor) laugh.gif

I've missed out on my opportunity to go duck hunting this year, but the guy whom I bought my traps of(and did work experience with last year) gave my dad and I, 4 ducks out of his bag as his "consolation prize".
I'm going to be roasting a duck for dinner tommorow, mmmmm,yum. biggrin.gif
Now wheres that number for Auntie Sue in TX, I fancy Frikasee Duck. wink.gif
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It’s somebody who doesn’t believe there’s a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK

#14 USMC

USMC

Varminter

• 130 posts
  • Interests:Big Game, Waterfowl, Upland, Shooting and Varmint hunting! Served in the Marines for 7 years and fought in Desert Storm. Just an overall nice guy who likes to hunt and shoot.

Posted 28 April 2004 - 06:18 AM

Colorado smile.gif

#15 redmistmd

redmistmd

Varminter

• 728 posts
  • Interests:hunting, vapin varmints ,camping,backpacking,scuba diving,sky diving,skiing but mostly hunting.and working around the house on projects and playing with my awsome family

Posted 30 April 2004 - 07:05 PM

THE PROMISED LAND OF UTAH West jordan <a suburb of Salt lake city. 10 min from 13,500 ft mtn 1.5 hrs to the plains of wyoming I hunt if it crawls runs flys whatevrer as long as when I come home I can get a kitchen pass from the wife