• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 farginicehole

farginicehole

Varminter

• 488 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 AM

Posted 10 November 2003 - 04:37 AM

I have a Bushmaster Varminter that only has about 50 rounds through it. During this barrel break-in period, I'm shooting some pretty cheap (but still made in USA) 52-grain hollowpoint ammo. Using the 5-rd clip it came with, basically to suppress my urge to empty one of my 30-rd clips without cleaning per the break-in instructions, I've found it jams almost every time on the 2nd to the last round left in the clip. When this happens, the bullet gets pushed back into the cartridge against the powder. Anyone else have this problem? I'm wondering if it's due to the cheap ammo, or maybe the thing just needs to "wear in" a little. Probably a combination of both I suppose, but sure an annoying problem. On a positive note though, the thing sure is a shooter! My friends, and none of us are serious varmint hunters YET, are all amazed at how tightly it groups even with inexpensive ammo.

#2 RSCAR

RSCAR

Sniper

• 3,185 posts
  • Interests:All things firearms, Offshore ocean fishing, making my wife happy and enjoying my life, annoying people

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:45 PM

Farg, is the bullet above or below the chamber. Probably does need more breakin use better ammo and a 10 or 20 rd mag[ sometimes the 30s' are not the best feeders either] Boy , I wish I'd have got a good shooter out of the box!!!...RSCAR have fun with the new rig! :D

#3 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts
  • Local time: 05:04 AM

Posted 10 November 2003 - 07:42 PM

my buddy mckinney had feeding failures similar to yours. He sent the clip for exchange and the problem went away, so that's my guess, too.

but have ya tried spitt'n in it?

flatlander :D

#4 Glen Shaffer

Glen Shaffer

Varminter

• 409 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:50 AM

Use Red Man if ya do. :D Glen

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,196 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:11 AM

Have I mentioned that Rock River now makes an AR?

#6 farginicehole

farginicehole

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 488 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 10:15 AM

RSCAR, it jams below the chamber. The spent casing flies out just fine, but the next round gets hung up and the spring pushes the bullet right into the case right against the powder. Seems to only do it with the 2nd to the last round in the magazine. I can just put one round in the clip and never have a malfunction. Put 3 in there, shoot the first and then the next one jams almost every time! Unjam it, and the 3rd (last one in the clip) works fine too. And no, I haven't tried spitting in it, although the thought of spitting ON it crossed my mind. . . As for Red Man, I haven't had that in a long, long time. Last time I tried a big dip of Kodiak though was after I had pounded about 5 pints of Guiness. Within about 15 minutes, I started getting cold sweats and within another 10 minutes, my head spun around like on the Exorcist! Pretty cool!!! Skoal sure never did that to me - what the #&@# do they put in that Kodiak $hit, anyways?!?! Guess I'll have to try some different clips. If they don't give me a problem, I'll call Bushmaster and see if they'll exchange it for me. Not that I have a big use for 5-rd clips, but I'm pretty sure it's all the law allows for hunting here in Michigan. And yes, Red, I've heard great things about Rock River! This Bushmaster seems like it's going to be quite a shooter though, and my wife would crap if I told her I was buying another AR right now! 'Specially since she's the one that was cool enough to get me the Bushy (easy guys, I'm talking about the gun still) for Christmas last year!

#7 RSCAR

RSCAR

Sniper

• 3,185 posts
  • Interests:All things firearms, Offshore ocean fishing, making my wife happy and enjoying my life, annoying people

Posted 11 November 2003 - 02:25 PM

Dunno Farg but sounds like a magazine problem, the spring tension at that point in conjunction with mag lips is just not positioning the round at the proper feed angle, my brother solved a similar problem by replacing the mag. I'm suprized Flat suggested spittin' in there I woulda thought catnip or hairball medicine or somethin'.....RSCAR

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,196 posts

Posted 11 November 2003 - 03:47 PM

Farg, Just my way of giving you a hard time about the Bushmaster, no offence intended.

I had the factory ten rd. RR clip jam once or twice but I never use it anymore. A buddy gave me a couple clips and I've never had a problem with those.

#9 farginicehole

farginicehole

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:15 AM

No offense taken, Red! My wife surprised me with that gun because I've always wanted an AR and had been drooling over that Varminter every since they came out with it. Maybe something I would have never indulged and bought myself, but those are the kinds of things that make great gifts, right? Anyways, I sure wish I lived closer to all of you guys so I could learn a few shooting tricks from you! I have a couple of 30-rd clips that a buddy gave me too, so I'm going to try those next. Basically, the reason I haven't tried them yet is that I wanted to resist the temptation to go through that many rounds without cleaning during my barrel break-in period! :lol: And RSCAR, you're giving Flatlander more $hit than his own a$$ does about shooting his neighbor's kitten! (ha ha ha - keep it up, as I'm getting a kick out of it! Sorry Flat.) By the way, I just submitted a question to Bushmaster's tech dept. to ask how one of their post-ban Y Comp or Mini Y Comp brakes would affect accuracy and muzzle rise (in that order!) on my otherwise stock Varminter. You guys have any experience you care to share?

#10 RSCAR

RSCAR

Sniper

• 3,185 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 06:29 AM

Just to say that they did'nt want to brake the bbl on mine after they finally got it shooting. Armalite also would not brake thier "accuracy model" dont know why...RSCAR :lol:

#11 farginicehole

farginicehole

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:42 AM

Yeah, I just got this reply back from Bushmaster:

"We do not recommend installing muzzle brakes on the Varminter barrels as they could have an effect on the accuracy. The muzzle brake will cover the crown of the barrel and carbon will build up between the muzzle and the brake. The muzzle brakes were intended to control muzzle climb in full automatic fire and while they help in semi automatic fire the benefit compared to accuracy is not all that great.
Thank you,
Jim Eden, Tech Support. "

I replied back to Jim and asked if he thinks any other kind of barrel porting would decrease muzzle rise without sacrificing accuracy. I'll post his response to that here too when I get it. I can't believe you actually were able to get through an entire reply without giving Flatlander any more grief about shooting pu$$ies!!! :lol:

#12 farginicehole

farginicehole

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:22 AM

Got this reply back:

"I have no experience with any porting of the Varminter barrel to reduce muzzle rise to make a recommendation for you.
Thank you,
Jim"

Guess I'll leave it alone for now! I'd hate to ruin the accuracy of this barrel.

#13 RSCAR

RSCAR

Sniper

• 3,185 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:44 AM

I would be least afraid of the EDM process used by Magna-Port. I know its not recoil that bothers you, you just want to see the bullet hit. Before the site went down another vrmtr owner put the DCM lead wedge in his buttstock and was very pleased[ I wont re-phrase..you know what I mean] Cause its a heavy rifle already he said the xtra weight was not objectionable and it enabled him to see the hits....RSCAR :lol: Also Farg the Bushmaster 10rd mags[about $15] are excellent I highly recommend giving them a try...................cat

Edited by RSCAR, 12 November 2003 - 09:48 AM.

#14 farginicehole

farginicehole

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 488 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 02:57 PM

Why did you sneak in "cat" at the end? Is that a subliminal poke at Flatlander for shooting Garfield?

#15 Glen Shaffer

Glen Shaffer

Varminter

• 409 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 04:48 PM

farginicehole-- Try spraying the clip out with an aerosol gun scrubber if you're using cheap ammo. The dirt that stuff creates plus maybe a little lead from the previous round(it may be off just a little but still feeding) could be the problem. Every now & then my mossberg 22 lr clip acts up like that & a little gunscrubber cures it. Just a thought. Glen