8 replies to this topic

#1 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 553 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:27 AM

I think it is time to lower the flag to half mast, in face of the tragedy unfolding in Afghanistan.

• Old Hickory 45 likes this

#2 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 380 posts
  • Local time: 06:14 PM

Posted 18 August 2021 - 04:18 AM

I disagree.   I think we should lower the flag to half mast in face of the tragedy that has been unfolding here.

• Glen and Old Hickory 45 like this

#3 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 553 posts
  • Local time: 05:14 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 19 August 2021 - 02:58 AM

Well that too, but essentially that is what I meant. Fact is, perhaps it should be flown upside-down!

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts
  • Local time: 07:14 PM

Posted 19 August 2021 - 12:46 PM

Well that too, but essentially that is what I meant. Fact is, perhaps it should be flown upside-down!

You're both absolutely right.

#5 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 202 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list but my top one is hunting tree squirrels with my Savage BMAG .17WSM. I have retired my custom knife shop after many great years of use.

Posted 22 August 2021 - 11:11 PM

Yeah on all right! 

• MikeNC likes this

#6 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 202 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list but my top one is hunting tree squirrels with my Savage BMAG .17WSM. I have retired my custom knife shop after many great years of use.

Posted 25 August 2021 - 10:42 PM

Some years ago at work, one not so bright fellas I worked with was working the night shift. Part of his patrol duties was raising the flag at dawn. 

Shortly after sunrise we received a red hot blast call at HQ from our CO, a Lt Col. He reported the flag was flying upside down.  :shockedcamo:  Yeah, we didn't take long fixing that problem!

Since then, flood lights were installed for the flag to fly at night, preventing such a thing happening again. And yes, that fellow is still on patrol.  

Edited by Old Hickory 45, 25 August 2021 - 10:44 PM.

• MikeNC likes this

#7 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts
  • Local time: 07:14 PM

Posted 26 August 2021 - 07:23 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#8 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 202 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 02:49 PM

Months after 9/11, another flag incident happened. One of my work pals had an arm blown off so he sported an artificial arm with a fastener for :biggrincamo:  a hook or metal clamps. We were on patrol and sent on flag duty that evening. It took the whole shift that day because it was the holiday flag, which is huge. 

When it was lowered during a high wind low enough to grab the bottom of the flag, mentioned pal clamped onto it. The flag billowed in the wind and lifted him quite high in the air. His arm clamp slipped and he dropped into a thorn bush while the rest of us tried to control the flag. 

A couple let go of the flag when we got it under control without touching the ground and then got our pal disengaged from the thorn bush. Other than some scratches, bruises, and some hollering while being pulled out of the thorns, he was OK and had a tale to tell his grandkids.  :biggrincamo:

Months after 9/11, about 50 MPs arrived for backup. We were the first line of defense and they were there for interior backup with nothing to do but man MG sandbag fortifications and interior patrol.

They were bored out of their minds so we finally gave them the flag detail and they were overjoyed to have it. We were happy to be freed up for patrol.

Edited by Old Hickory 45, 26 August 2021 - 03:09 PM.

• mongochicago likes this

#9 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 202 posts

Posted 27 August 2021 - 09:15 AM

I think it is time to lower the flag to half mast, in face of the tragedy unfolding in Afghanistan.

And it gets worse every day. I see flags flying half mast here.