Ground Squirrels and Marmots in BC

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rsterne

rsterne

Varminter

• 86 posts
  • Local time: 05:15 PM
  • Interests:Airguns, in particular PCPs; grouse hunting; varmint hunting; ATVing; Astronomy.

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:29 PM

I got a chance to go out and help one of the local ranchers with his varmint problem today.... I took my 2260 HPA and my .35 cal BRod.... The .22 cal shoots 18.1 gr. JSB Heavies at 960 (37 FPE) and gets 50-60 shots per fill on the 3000 psi 13 CI bottle.... It is regulated at 1600 psi, and has a 3-12X Hawke SF scope.... The .35 cal BRod is regulated at 2200 psi and has a 500 cc 3000 psi bottle.... It shoots the 83 gr. NOE Hollowpoint at just under 900 fps (150 FPE), and has just a 3-9X Leapers scope....

I used the .22 cal for all the "gopher" shooting (we have Columbia Ground Squirrels here), and got at least 60, of which about a third were small kits, not long out of the burrow.... Interestingly, the late morning was mostly adults, while about 2PM was almost all kits, which are a tiny target, only about 1" across.... I tagged the GS's anywhere from 10-90 yards, with most shots between 40-60 yards.... The "best" shots of the day were taking 4 kits with 4 shots at 80 yards (lasered), which is 3 MilDots of holdover at 12X.... Here they are where they fell....

4_Kits_80_yd.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&

No, seriously, that was exactly the way they were laying when I got to them!.... After I shot the first one, the others kept coming over to see what was happening.... The young ones sure are dumb and curious, but in a month will be eating a lot of alfalfa in that field.... I got 4 Marmots with the .35 cal, the reason for using it was to see how the HPs performed on something larger than a GS.... They pretty much turn a GS inside out.... All the Marmots were a 1 shot kill at 40-50 yards.... I have shot a lot of Marmots, and I have never seen anything anchor them like that .357 cal HP.... They all dropped where they were, except the one I hit in the head, which knocked it backwards about 4 feet!.... The exit wounds are really nasty, hence no pics....

It was a great day, and the rancher was as pleased as I was.... and I am over the moon about the performance of those 83 gr. NOE HP's.... They are far superior to a .22LR high velocity HP....  B)

Bob

• Old Hickory 45 likes this

#2 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 202 posts
  • Local time: 07:15 PM
  • Interests:Too many to list but my top one is hunting tree squirrels with my Savage BMAG .17WSM. I have retired my custom knife shop after many great years of use.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 12:05 AM

Very nice, Bob! Thanks for the nice pictures, also.

#3 17VLD

17VLD

Varminter

• 24 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM
  • Interests:Varmint shooting,big bore handguns,XPí-100s,Jeeping,r/c boats and copters.

Posted 30 October 2020 - 02:41 AM

Great shooting.Didnt realize the air guns had all that energy.Would have liked to see pics of the rifle and pellets.
Too bad the marmots were to graphic too show,Everyone likes to see the efforts of a good hunt.
Matt

#4 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 553 posts
  • Local time: 06:15 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 05 November 2020 - 05:05 AM

No substitute for horse power, but a little torque (slugs) sure helps!