• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 moorepower

moorepower

Varminter

• 13 posts
  • Local time: 01:12 PM

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:56 PM

Color me impressed.On a recent trip to check out the ranch where I am hunting Elk this fall, I took my BMag along, after hearing that there were a couple of towns where the shooting was closer distances , and i did not figure I would have much time to shoot, anyway, I got a 365 yard shot, a couple 325yd shots, a 300yd shot and a 200yd chip shot. I was very impressed with how hard it hit and how it handled a slight breeze.Hindsight being 20-20, I would have just taken my .204 LRPV, but now I am convinced the .17 WSM is a very legit 300yd PDog shooter.

• RickyI, 17VLD and Old Hickory 45 like this

#2 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 437 posts
  • Local time: 12:12 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 12 September 2019 - 03:33 AM

If you lived in Southeast New Mexico, you might have needed a .22, and maybe a .25 to help fight the winds we often have. Last (firearm) prairie dog hunt I did, I used my .338/378 as the closest shots often exceeded 600 yards. The wind? Fairly gusty at 15 to 25 MPH. 

• RickyI and Old Hickory 45 like this

#3 RickyI

RickyI

Varminter

• 63 posts
  • Interests:Rimfires, hunting, jeeping and the Outdoors

Posted 12 September 2019 - 04:38 AM

If you lived in Southeast New Mexico, you might have needed a .22, and maybe a .25 to help fight the winds we often have. Last (firearm) prairie dog hunt I did, I used my .338/378 as the closest shots often exceeded 600 yards. The wind? Fairly gusty at 15 to 25 MPH. 

Alan, that's a lot of gun right there! How big are those Alien's/PD's out there in Area 51!!!!!!!!!!!!  :dazedcamo:  :crazycamo:  :tonguecamo:

• Old Hickory 45 likes this

#4 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 437 posts
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 13 September 2019 - 04:30 AM

They're not any bigger than yours, I'm sure. The issue its wind! 

I have shot hundreds of prairie dogs with a .22 LR,, at ranges out to 150 yards. But the wind was dead still! I've even managed to hit a few at 175 yards, with my .25 caliber, Cobra airgun. But again, the wind was dead still. But hen there is a gusting cross wind averaging ≈25 mph, you bring out the big stuff! One of my shooting friends, even uses his custom 404 Jefferies-based .308! And you thought a 338/378 was bad?

When the wind is still, it is still fun trying to make those really long shots, out to 1,000 and sometimes beyond. The only places you can do that, are within the sparsely-populated, mountainous states. Costly to be sure, but so is driving ,1500 miles just to find a place to do it!

#5 orkan

orkan

Varminter

• 5 posts

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:35 AM

but now I am convinced the .17 WSM is a very legit 300yd PDog shooter.

Only when the wind is steady and below 10mph.  ;) 

#6 moorepower

moorepower

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 October 2019 - 08:22 AM

It's obviously not a high wind caliber, but those times the wind has died down it works. Nothing really works when the wind is blowing hard and or gusting.I picked up some 90 grain Blitzkings for my .257WB that would kind of work, 3700fps .388BC, but have not worked up a load yet, and with a #2 barrel is not for volume shooting. My 6MM CM with 108 ELD's is the closest thing I have to a windy weather varmint gun. Still impressed with how it worked.