Venison And Possum

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 202 posts
  • Local time: 09:52 PM
  • Interests:Too many to list but my top one is hunting tree squirrels with my Savage BMAG .17WSM. I have retired my custom knife shop after many great years of use.

Posted 15 June 2019 - 01:31 PM

Last week I took the day off and spotted a crippled deer on the middle of my two east bound lanes of HWY 34 in Burlington, Iowa. I quickly pulled to the side of the road with my hazard blinkers on as to warn approaching traffic. 

As I was in the process of calling officials to the scene, 3 county sheriff vehicles arrived. One deputy dispatched the deer and we tossed it on my truck tailgate. Presto, a salvage doe deer that only had two broken legs when shot.

This last Wednesday I was on duty and at one of our vehicle check stations at work when a civilian young yuppie tech rolled to a stop.

I approached the driver, a fella I know, and told him my wife roasted a possum the day before and sent two possum meat sandwiches in my lunch. He acted really excited and said, "I would really like to try that"! And quickly left after inspection.

About five minutes later he returned and I approached him with a sandwich held out to him. His expression was of total horror and he stuck his hands out and said loudly, "I just ate! I just ate"! And then he quickly sped away. 

The sandwich was roast beef.  :biggrincamo:

• Red, MikeNC and RickyI like this

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:59 AM

:lol:

Protector of the nuts.

#3 RickyI

RickyI

Varminter

• 64 posts
  • Interests:Rimfires, hunting, jeeping and the Outdoors

Posted 16 June 2019 - 01:18 PM

That was funny!  :tonguecamo:  :biggrincamo:  :biggrincamo:

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 06:32 AM

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#5 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 554 posts
  • Local time: 08:52 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:21 AM

When I was MUCH younger, my father's cousin used to fix possum stew. So before you turn your nose up, don't complain unless you've tried it. By the way, it is a bit gamy!

• Old Hickory 45 likes this