• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flippy100

Flippy100

Varminter

• 2 posts
  • Local time: 03:04 PM

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:09 AM

Mike here.  I've lived in Oregon since 1964, Springfield since 1969.  I'm an avid target shooter, big game hunter, reloader, but I'm fairly new to varmint hunting.  Have been hunting, camping since childhood.  I don't fish anymore except deep sea trips.  Too many stupid rules and regulations took the fun out of it for me.  Maybe when I retire I'll look into taking it up again.

Tried varmint hunting unsuccessfully about 10 years ago, but I really didn't know what I was doing for the most part and didn't have the proper equipment.  It’s a little bit different set of skills than other types of hunting.  Now I know what to do, have the proper equipment and I have access to over 100,000 acres of timberland.  Time to see what we can do to help the deer and elk population.

I have a longtime friend who purchased about 150 acres (and has access to a couple hundred more) just north of Klamath Falls.  He also loves to shoot and wants to try for some coyotes as they are thick over east.

I do most of my own repair work, modifications, etc. and used to work at a couple of gun shops in the area doing minor repairs.  Was also for a couple years one of the guys who worked at a well know “outfitter” in the Gun Library.  Terrible job, but some of the firearms that came through that place were incredible.

I hope to continue to learn and get proficient at varmint hunting that’s why I’m here.  Nothing like living vicariously through other people’s experiences and learning from them, good and bad.

Happy shooting!

#2 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 78 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:17 PM

Welcome

Over 100,000 acres of timberland?! Wow.

I visit Alturas several times a year and have been to Klamath Falls a few times as well.

Good luck to you. Coyote pups will be out soon so get ready ;)

#3 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 427 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 08 June 2019 - 02:58 AM

Welcome. Oregon is one of the last of the "vast" states to hunt in. Most others, like Colorado, has become so populous, there isn't anything wild left! You're lucky!

• RickyI likes this

#4 RickyI

RickyI

Varminter

• 54 posts
  • Local time: 05:04 PM
  • Interests:Rimfires, hunting, jeeping and the Outdoors

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:40 AM

Mike here.  I've lived in Oregon since 1964, Springfield since 1969.  I'm an avid target shooter, big game hunter, reloader, but I'm fairly new to varmint hunting.  Have been hunting, camping since childhood.  I don't fish anymore except deep sea trips.  Too many stupid rules and regulations took the fun out of it for me.  Maybe when I retire I'll look into taking it up again.

Tried varmint hunting unsuccessfully about 10 years ago, but I really didn't know what I was doing for the most part and didn't have the proper equipment.  It’s a little bit different set of skills than other types of hunting.  Now I know what to do, have the proper equipment and I have access to over 100,000 acres of timberland.  Time to see what we can do to help the deer and elk population.

I have a longtime friend who purchased about 150 acres (and has access to a couple hundred more) just north of Klamath Falls.  He also loves to shoot and wants to try for some coyotes as they are thick over east.

I do most of my own repair work, modifications, etc. and used to work at a couple of gun shops in the area doing minor repairs.  Was also for a couple years one of the guys who worked at a well know “outfitter” in the Gun Library.  Terrible job, but some of the firearms that came through that place were incredible.

I hope to continue to learn and get proficient at varmint hunting that’s why I’m here.  Nothing like living vicariously through other people’s experiences and learning from them, good and bad.

Happy shooting!

Welcome Sir! Look forward to your hunting trips and stories!

Rick

#5 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,151 posts
  • Local time: 06:04 PM

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:47 PM

Welcome aboard Mike  :biggrincamo:

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#6 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,536 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:24 PM

Welcome to the group

Sean

#7 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 115 posts