Photo

Do you lay off Coyotes this time of year?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 71 posts
  • Local time: 05:02 PM

Posted 12 May 2019 - 08:28 PM

Do you lay off Coyotes this time of year? Me...? kinda and here's why.

The coyotes are denning, pups are born around here and will be out soon.

So, if I call and bring in an adult(s) coyote and kill it the pups will probably starve to death. Is that harsh, maybe and I couldn't care less.

What I want is more Coyotes to call in. A sheep rancher that luvs me called and said they found a Coyote den with 5 pups in it and they killed them all. Good for them, but not for me.

What's your opinion?

#2 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,825 posts
  • Local time: 10:02 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 13 May 2019 - 02:39 AM

If your hunting private farm land then the answer is '' do what the farmer asks of you''.  I don't hunt them this time of year due to the heat & it's too thick to see thru thew woods. However,, I'll shoot at any I do see.

Coyotes can not be exterminated & their population will grow according to their food source in their home area. Shoot them at will. They will always be here.

Fun fact,, Ohio's spring turkey season was started way late this year due to the population decline. Fur prices are in the toilet & Winters haven't been that harsh here. Raccoons are literally everywhere along the roads as well as coyotes & now we're seeing red fox mangled as well as a stray bobcat here & there. Predators are running rampant due to the fur prices & all of wildlife is paying the price.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,054 posts
  • Local time: 07:02 PM

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:49 PM

I just hunt when I have time and feel like it. That's the beauty of a year round season. Still when I kill one I'm happier when it turns out to be a male.

Protector of the nuts.

#4 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,521 posts
  • Local time: 05:02 PM

Posted 13 May 2019 - 06:37 PM

An interesting thing that might apply...Coyote litter size increases when pressure is put on the whole group, if the food source is there. Kill more Coyotes and the next season the liters will have more pups per female. This happens in many different groups and also apply to sex ratios. Ain't it great way mother nature works? They can be over hunted but nature hates a vaccum. Boy, just can't seem to spell that word right  lol

Sean

Edited by lunarlithic, 13 May 2019 - 06:39 PM.