Sage Rat shoot in Eastern Oregon

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 rexracer707

rexracer707

Varminter

• 17 posts
  • Local time: 11:05 PM
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, some game hunting and reloading. Woodworking in between.

Posted 27 April 2019 - 03:29 PM

Well I made it back from a 4 day shoot outside Burns, Oregon. Went from April 11th through 14th. The rats where out in numbers, an the guides where busy, we also got into some nice rock chucks as well on one place we shot. My longest shot on a rat was 438 Yards from a herters portable bench.

I'm lucky that I get to shoot on my friends alfalfa fields so I don't have to bother with the ground work and guides. I meet my dad and some friends there and we have a good time. I tried to get some video of the shoot to put on youtube, which I am working on editing right now, I dont get to many videos since I always want to shoot, this video will have a few hits and some misses.

I had bad luck last year, I set my action cam right in the middle of some rat mounds and had some awesome videos of the 204 doing some work on the rats within 5 feet of the camera, I don't know if the heat got to the SD card but it got corrupted. Man I was pissed.

Anyways, good luck out there this season, feel free to let me know if you want to watch the video and I will post a link when I get it finished.

• RickyI, Z-MAX and Old Hickory 45 like this

#2 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 114 posts
  • Local time: 02:05 AM

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:34 PM

Nice work.. that's a hell of a nice poke you made. Congrats

#3 rexracer707

rexracer707

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, some game hunting and reloading. Woodworking in between.

Posted 27 April 2019 - 04:37 PM

Thanks Z-Max. Heres a link, https://youtu.be/zMhmubc3-RU Just to warn you I am not a pro youtuber or video editor, if you do check out any other of my videos keep that in mind. 

#4 grandbeaver

grandbeaver

Varminter

• 4 posts
  • Interests:varmint shooting, handloading, hunting, hiking, woodworking!!

Posted 28 April 2019 - 06:25 AM

Well done on the sage rats!...too bad your close up vids didnt turn out that woulda been memorable footage!!.....As much as I enjoyed shooting them years past with the centerfires (at one time I had a 22 Hornet, 221 FB, 223 Rem, 243 Win) I have gone to the rimfires exclusively. My favorite is the 17 HMR, but I shoot a lot of 22 LR, 22 Mag, and 17 HM2 also.
  • Old Hickory 45 likes this

#5 rexracer707

rexracer707

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 08:02 AM

Thanks grandbeaver, now days I rarely bring out a centerfire unless it's for long range rat shooting. I had to cut the sound from my video and play background music due to foul language on the misses.

I was pretty bummed that my videos on the sd card didn't turn out.

#6 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 114 posts

Posted 28 April 2019 - 02:11 PM

Thanks Z-Max. Heres a link, https://youtu.be/zMhmubc3-RU Just to warn you I am not a pro youtuber or video editor, if you do check out any other of my videos keep that in mind.

I think you did a fine job on the video Rex. I've done a video work as well.
Its tough to do. So much editing

#7 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 422 posts
  • Local time: 12:05 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 29 April 2019 - 03:11 AM

I get a 404 error on the link.

#8 rexracer707

rexracer707

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:40 AM

• RickyI, botay and Old Hickory 45 like this

#9 Mush

Mush

Varminter

• 224 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 12:29 PM

Nice video. Looks a lot like Pennsylvania Ground Hog hunting except we don't normally see dust after a shot.

#10 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 78 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:02 PM

Nice going Rex.

Are you reloading for .204?

#11 rexracer707

rexracer707

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 06:58 PM

Nice going Rex.

Are you reloading for .204?

Yes, Sir.

I have been using 40 and 32 grain Hornady v-maxs with IMR 4895 as the propellent.

#12 rexracer707

rexracer707

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 07:01 PM

Nice video. Looks a lot like Pennsylvania Ground Hog hunting except we don't normally see dust after a shot.

We shoot at about 4000 feet elevation(high desert) in alfalfa fields. 90% pivot irrigation and 10% wheel lines, the alfalfa is just starting to grow so there is not much irrigation on yet.

#13 grandbeaver

grandbeaver

Varminter

• 4 posts
  • Interests:varmint shooting, handloading, hunting, hiking, woodworking!!

Posted 02 May 2019 - 07:52 AM

Nice work on the video. Thats the exact same type of field ive been shooting the last three weeks. Im headed out again tommorrow. No sweat on the close miss......you gotta aim high to account for the scope over the bore at that range........ask me how I know.....lol...

#14 RickyI

RickyI

Varminter

• 50 posts
  • Local time: 01:05 AM
  • Interests:Rimfires, hunting, jeeping and the Outdoors

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:34 AM

Really nice Video and I enjoyed the back ground music! Wish we had places like that where I;m from!

Rick

#15 Wino

Wino

Varminter

• 150 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting and photography.

Posted 23 May 2019 - 12:59 PM

When I corrupt a drive, or when our customers did at the photo lab I used to run, we would use Convar's PC inspector file recovery. You just have to know the file type extension your trying to recover. It will recover files even when someone accidentally formatted the card in camera.  It's free.