• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 114 posts
  • Local time: 02:04 AM

Posted 02 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

So I've been playing around with my 17 HMR and the 22 Magnum.
Wanted to know how well they would perform at 150 yards on groundhogs.

I shoot CCI A17 ammo in the HMR @ 2720 FPS

CCI 30 grain V-MAX in the 22 Magnum @ 2240 FPS

I was a little surprised to see that the 22 Magnum only bested the HMR in energy to 50 yards.
At 75 yards they were close. The HMR with a slight advantage.
After that the HMR starts to pull ahead quickly.

Even though my ballistics program is telling me that.. I ain't buying it.
I'm thinking that even dispite the velocity difference.. the heavier 22 caliber is gonna have more smack. Especially being a V-MAX. So a 150 yard milk jug test is in order.

Well... At impact with the 22 Magnum the jug doesn't move.. I watch water glug out of both holes.
Now the HMR.. at impact jug splits wide open.. water sprayed..

22 Magnum jug was still half full of water. No bullet fragments.
HMR jug I find the poly tip and lead fragments in the bottom.
I guess the numbers don't lie.

p.s..impact velocity of the 22 Magnum at 150..1175 FPS
The HMR.. 1750 FPS

Edited by Z-MAX, 03 April 2019 - 07:06 PM.

• MikeNC, REXRAY and Old Hickory 45 like this

#2 REXRAY

REXRAY

Varminter

• 41 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 PM
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, fishing, motorcycles.

Posted 03 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

Thanks for this comparison.  Have you done an accuracy comparison between these two calibers?

#3 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 11:17 AM

Yes sir..

The HMR is a Ruger American Sporter. Very accurate.. as are most 17 HMR rifles. All the ammo I've tried shoot very well.

The 22 mag is a Savage model B22 Magnum, heavy barrel. It will shoot right along side the HMR with both CCI and Hornady 30 grain V-MAX (Accuracy wise).. Not great with anything else I've tried so far.

Edited by Z-MAX, 03 April 2019 - 11:34 AM.

• Red likes this

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts
  • Local time: 01:04 AM

Posted 03 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

I was a little surprised to see that the 22 Magnum only bested the HMR in energy to 50 yards.
At 75 yards they were close. The HMR with a slight advantage.
After that the HMR starts to pull ahead quickly.

Yep it's all about ballistic coefficient. Same as comparing a .223 and .204.

• Z-MAX and Old Hickory 45 like this

Protector of the nuts.

#5 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,829 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 05 April 2019 - 01:01 PM

I never shot any water filled jugs with either caliber but I have shot a few groundhogs with both. I understand completely where you're coming from & going but respectfully,, I've found both rds on a consistent basis to be 135yd groundhog rifles for 1 shot anchors. The exception being head shots where the 22WMR is considerably more potent with the heavier slugs. I'll also add I have never head shot a groundhog with any poly tipped WMR rds.

But your findings are interesting in that the 30gr V-Max wasn't more devastating. It would be interesting to see a 3 or 5 jug shoot with each caliber to eliminate any fluke bullet reactions. Any idea how fast you can drink another 5 or 6 gallons of milk? :lol: :lol:

• Red, Z-MAX and Old Hickory 45 like this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#6 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 April 2019 - 07:54 PM

I'm thinking the same thing glen.
A little further testing is in order. Of course shot placement will be crucial in eaither caliber at that range. Thus far I have confidence in the HMR getting it done.

Also .. blood is thicker than water right?. I believe that if I put one in the ribs of a groundhog at 150 with the 22 mag 30 grain V-MAX.. thick hide, muscle, bone.. I'm thinking the bullet Will perform. I mean it is still moving almost 1200 FPS.
  • Red likes this

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:02 PM

A wise man once told me;

"Groundhogs are tough" ~ Glen

Protector of the nuts.

#8 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:04 PM

Ok gentleman..

Finished the 150 yard test between the HMR and the 22 mag.
Here are the numbers at 150 yards.

17 HMR A17 ammo..1750 FPS.. 117 foot LBS of energy
22 mag 30 grain V-MAX..1175 FPS.. 91 foot LBS of energy

Thinking that the 22 Magnum 30 grain V-MAX just needed a bit more resistance
To make the bullet fragment. I taped 3 layers of heavy cardboard to the jug.
In attempt to more mimic hitting a actual groundhog.

Although the impact appeared to be more violent,and did tip over the jug.
Instead of 2 small holes it did split the back open this time.
Still no bullet fragments left in the jug. V-MAX bullets don't mushroom, they come apart.
So I'm assuming the bullet passed through in one piece.

So in conclusion.. if I'm toting the 22 mag.. and can't get closer than say 125 yards, I won't take the shot.
With the HMR I'm confident that with good shot placement it would produce a clean kill at 150 yards.

IMG_20190408_163926-1024x576.jpg

Edited by Z-MAX, 08 April 2019 - 03:18 PM.

• Red and Old Hickory 45 like this

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,083 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 05:14 PM

That's a good report.

I did some testing with various .22LR ammo some years ago. The real question is how the medium mimics actual animal tissue. Even with a live target there are so many variables such as; if you hit bone, or multiple bones, or hit soft bone like a rib, or a glance off a bone, or no bone at all, etc. I wanted to get some ballistic gel but it was cost prohibitive at the time. I ended up stacking many layers of cardboard with a potato mounted right in front of the cardboard. I was able to retrieve the bullet and see how far it penetrated through the layers.

• Z-MAX likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#10 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 45 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:27 AM

I have compared .22, .17HMR, and .17 WSM rounds when shooting thick,clear Lexan blocks. I find the blocks at garage sales. 

The bullets, or what's left of them, are frozen forever in the blocks and are quite amazing. I will have to hunt up those blocks someday. 

Blocks I shot with the HMR 17gr VMAX rounds penetrated about 1". As we know, Lexan is pretty hard stuff. 

The same sized blocks that were shot by my WSM 20gr V MAX were blown to bits but I have some larger blocks to try and they should hold together. 

I sold my .22 Mag a while back so it is out of the running for tests but my .22 LR guns will stay.

I do apologize for not having the skills to post pictures here.  :blushcamo:

Also, If you fine folks try this same with Lexan and need to clear up a rough edge of the material to see it clearly, don't sand and polish. Just apply some heat from a propane torch to clear up a rough ( sawed ) surface.

A shot block of Lexan with the bullets frozen in place showing the expansion and fragments would make a fine conversation piece.

Edited by Old Hickory 45, 11 April 2019 - 02:32 AM.

• Red, RickyI and Z-MAX like this

#11 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 349 posts

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:50 AM

I use a 22 Mag and my hunting buddy uses a 17 HMR.  We were both shooting at a distance well past 100 yards years ago on a p.d. hunt, and I have to say that  the 17 HMR was not all that impressive to me.   That trip is when I decided to stick with the 22 Mag.

#12 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 45 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 02:39 AM

The HMR was king in my book until the WSM came into being.

I really like the .22 ,mag, have had several. My last .22 mag was a fine rifle but didn't fit my requirements as for the accuracy I desire. It is an older Model 9422M that a fella just had to have for his collection.

#13 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,829 posts
  • Local time: 04:04 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

More good info Z.

I still have the nagging feeling of those groundhogs that got away years ago from those 150yd shots with the HMR. I absolutely love that round without recourse & it is my most favoritest for groundhogs. However if I'm out when the pups are then it's like p-dogging for a couple months. But after September they are larger & tougher & require more to kill them efficiently past the 135yds.

I do look forward to your real world findings on this & will continue to follow this topic.

And I do like Red's quote up there. There's more than one reason we call them ground grizzlies. They can be some tough bastids!! B)

• MikeNC, RickyI, Z-MAX and 1 other like this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#14 Old Hickory 45

Old Hickory 45

Varminter

• 45 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:29 AM

Well said, Glen!

#15 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:45 PM

Well guys here is some real world results on the this topic of these 2 rimfire calibers.

Yesterday I paid a visit to a food plot owned by a doctor for hunting deer. A Field 300 yards long and 150 yards wide. Corn planted down the middle.. surrounded by soy beans. He was absolutely infested with groundhogs. I killed 23 of them there last summer.

Planning to just walk the perimeter checking for active holes, left the (GREEN HORNET) and the shooting bench.. and grabbed the HMR and the fieldpod.

The field hadn't been tilled under yet. So I decided to slip into the corn and sneak my way down the field. Halfway I spy one at the wood line at the end of the field what I figured to be between 130 to 140 yards. Trying to use the corn as cover I moved just enough to get a window between the corn stalks.

I take a knee with the fieldpod. Groundhog stands up for me. Get a lock on it's chest, squeeze the trigger.. (CLICK)..
Yup OL groundhog assassin forgot to chamber a round. So I work the bolt. Which I believe he heard as he spun around facing the woods.

this is where things took a turn for the worst. Now it's quartering away from me, and I have a corn stalk in my line of sight. I try to readjust .. now I'm off balance and unsteady, and have a tiny bit of chest to try and hit in a hurry before he bolts into the woods.

I shoot and down it goes. Quickly rack another round for a follow-up.. he kicks to his feet.. now all I have is groundhog ass as a Target. Bang.. down he goes again. Still he manages to drag himself into the woods.

I hurry over to find it dead inches from it's hole. Luckily the second shot completely exploded a hip socket. Judging from the blood gushing from the tiny hole, it severed the femoral artery. Stopping it in the nick of time. My 1st shot hit to far back to get into the vitals. Don't blame the HMR.. blame the shooter.

Certainly not my best performance..but I guess it worked. Distance turned out to be 132 yards.

IMG_20190412_225220_659-679x392.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190412_223846-768x432.jpg

Edited by Z-MAX, 13 April 2019 - 01:09 PM.

• Old Hickory 45 likes this