• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Haynes

Haynes

Varminter

• 7 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 AM

Posted 21 March 2019 - 07:30 PM

I'm getting a remington 308, model 700 (one of the SPS variants). the rifle is between $600 and $700, taking a pretty big chunk out of my wallet. 
id like to spend around $200 or $300 on a scope. The rifle will be used for target shooting, maybe some varmint hunting. what do you know about Tasco "Target/Varmint 10-40X50" with an adjustable objective. 
It goes for $200, but i was wondering if it was a waste of money to buy glass that cheap? 
Really, what are the advantages to adjustable objectives? 
Also i was kind of dissapointed that this perticular scope only came in a "1/8 Dot" reticle and not Mil Dot. 

any feedback would be great, thanks a lot.

Edited by Haynes, 25 March 2019 - 06:00 AM.

#2 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 351 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 PM

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:54 AM

For me, Tasco has always been a decent scope.  Had several and was satisfied with them.  I would rate Burris a bit better.    My new favorite brand is Vortex.  Just my opinions based on my experience.   Remember, you get what you pay for and usually less.

Edited by mongochicago, 22 March 2019 - 04:54 AM.

#3 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 115 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 PM

Posted 22 March 2019 - 04:58 AM

I've never looked through the scope you mentioned..
So I can't give any information there.

But I can tell you that in your price range.. that you should look at the vortex line up of Scopes. My neighbor has always been a Nikon guy. He now only buys vortex.
Good glass for the money.

As far as adjustable objective.. most Scopes above 12 power will have it.
When you zoom in on the Target and it looks blurry you turn the dial to clean up the clarity.
I like a scope with side focus opposed to on the bell.

#4 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 833 posts
  • Local time: 07:59 PM

Posted 22 March 2019 - 05:35 PM

I mounted Vortex Viper PST first focal plane scopes on my 17hmr, 2-17wsm's and 204. I'm really pleased so far, but I did spend a lot more than your price range. 

I mounted a second focal plane Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 PA Dead-Hold BDC on a CZ 204 that I gave my nephew for Christmas last year. It's a really nice scope and I got it on ebay for $385. He sent me a text last weekend and said he shot two coyotes. One at ~100 yards and the other at 250-275 yards. He described the rifle as "a killing Machine!". Last year he made a ~275 yard shot on a running dog that was part of a pack that killed some of his sheep.

#5 Jerry Yen

Jerry Yen

Varminter

• 8 posts
  • Local time: 06:59 PM

Posted 29 March 2019 - 09:34 PM

IMO, I would stay away from variable (especially to 40X) in your price range.  Although I haven't owned a Tasco in while the main reasons some scopes are pricier is because of glass quality and turret tracking.  I will refrain from the glass quality discussion because everyone has their own perspective but if your turrets do not track accurately then it will not work.  If I were you, I would go with a SWFA fixed power either in 16X or 20X.  I know the turrets are repeatable and they track accurately, the glass quality is fair and you don't have to worry about focal plane as it is not a variable and it is in your price range.  I shoot f class matches and have no trouble going to 1000 yards (at 20X) which is about the limits of your .308...But like I said, that's just my opinion.  Happy shooting!