8 replies to this topic

#1 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 380 posts
  • Local time: 12:13 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:59 AM

Throughout the forms on this site, you often read posts replete with photos showing "tight" 100 yard groups. Some of these are not what I call tight! 

Most firearms are advertised to shoot better than one inch groups at 100 yards. Yet, looking at the published data in the American Hunter and/or the American Rifleman, you'd think anything under 2 inches was acceptable. Others may buy those lousy groups, but not me!

Any firearm with its salt, should be able to shoot 100 yard groups well under one inch with the right reloads. If it won't, perhaps you should try a different bullet and/or load? If all else fail, sell it and buy something that will. 

Dead stock, .223 Remington, Model 700. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 100yds223Rem700.jpg

• Eric Mayer likes this

#2 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,806 posts
  • Local time: 04:13 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 04:28 AM

I don't read those advertisement/sales publications simply because that is what they are. The most $$ gets the best reviews.

Having said that, back years ago when I did read them, most of their reviews were on big game with factory ammo and that was the norm. 2" on big game is plenty good enough for what they are trying to sell the reader.

Not good enough for me either.

• MikeNC likes this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#3 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 321 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 AM

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:42 AM

I don't pay attention to 100 yard groups at all.   I don't care what anyone gets at 100 yards.  For me that is not a true test of accuracy. Accuracy begins at 300 yards.   I have seen rifles that seem pretty good out to 200 and completely fall apart at 300.   I understand if all one has access to is 100 yards, but I wouldn't tout it unless it was a handgun.

#4 rexracer707

rexracer707

Varminter

• 10 posts
  • Local time: 11:13 PM
  • Interests:Varmint Hunting, some game hunting and reloading. Woodworking in between.

Posted 10 March 2019 - 03:53 PM

Now days the gun is far more accurate than the person behind it,due to quality of rifles with lower cost, easier for people to purchase who have never shot a gun.

At a local match(300 and 500Yard) I smoked the guys with F-Class guns and 6.5 Creedmoor's with my little ole Savage model 12 .223(pre accu-trigger) shooting 69gr sierra matchkings. 

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,023 posts
  • Local time: 01:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 12:13 PM

At a local match(300 and 500Yard) I smoked the guys with F-Class guns and 6.5 Creedmoor's with my little ole Savage model 12 .223(pre accu-trigger) shooting 69gr sierra matchkings. 

I've said for years the Savage centerfires are highly under rated. Models 10, 11, & 12's are highly accurate out of the box in most cases and when attention to handloading is practiced and a little rifle tuning they can be extraordinary. 

• Z-MAX likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#6 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 63 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2019 - 05:15 PM

I agree Red..

I've been shooting Savage rifles for years.
They are nice shooting, accurate rifles.

They all have had plenty of rounds run through them (prairie dog trips)
Never any mechanical issues. They're not a pretty rifle. But they shoot well. And are rugged.

#7 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,512 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 06:37 PM

Ditto Alan. 100 yard accuracy does matter as it is predictive of accuracy at greater distances. This whole accuracy thing has been twisted for a while as in "mine is bigger than yours" or rather "mine is smaller than yours"....lol. Unless it is witnessed it just doesn't count. In the final analysis what matters is if you can get the necessary accuracy from your gun that the task at hand demands. Bench accuracy versus hunting accuracy is difficult to compare. I for one don't try to compare. A final note, my Ithaca LSA 55 (.222) printed a witnessed group of .118 at a hundred yards and I was out shot by a person of the opposite gender and carrying the last name of a well known leader in the industry. Think I still have the target laying around somewhere.

Sean

• Z-MAX likes this

#8 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 63 posts
  • Local time: 02:13 AM

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:40 AM

Well put lunarlithic..

For me it's the task at hand. We all strive for the smallest groups.
But for instance.. my 17 Hornet is my go to rifle for groundhogs.

I load 2 loads for that rifle. 8 grains of H110.. 20 grain Z-max.. @ 3000 FPS
And 11.7 grains of Accurate 1680 same bullet...@ 3550 FPS

The H110 load will consistently out shoot the faster load at 100 yards.
When in Field I will normally use the 1680 load.
It shoots flat as a pancake to 200 yards and I can easily put the bullet in the kill of a groundhog at that distance.

If the set up requires longer distances.. I use my Savage model 12 .223. or my 221 Fireball. to insure guick humane kills.

Whatever the task at hand requires.

#9 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,512 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 02:55 PM

Yep, you're my type of shooting buddy. Ill also have to try your Hornet loads

Sean

• Z-MAX likes this