4 replies to this topic

#1 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 99 posts
  • Local time: 12:20 PM

Posted 08 March 2019 - 03:22 PM

204 Ruger owners..
If your interested in a fun reduced load. That's cheap to load.
Very little muzzle blast.. low report, zero muzzle jump.
Here you go.

7.5 grains of alliant blue Dot.
34 grain varmint nightmare.. made by Nosler for midsouth shooters supply. I've used 32 grain ballistic tips with the same powder charge.
Do not tweak this load. Make sure your scale is on. Do not use any more or any less than 7.5 grains. Reduced loads can be dangerous. Please I can't stress this enough.be careful.

2100 FPS out of my 24 inch DPMS barrel.
About that of a 22 Magnum with a similar weight bullet.
Makes for a substantially quieter load for out to 125 yards for whacking varmints.

50 yard accuracy

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190308_122141-1536x864.jpg
  • IMG_20190308_121147-1024x576.jpg

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,058 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 AM

Posted 08 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

Do not tweak this load. Make sure your scale is on. Do not use any more or any less than 7.5 grains. Reduced loads can be dangerous. Please I can't stress this enough.be careful.

Trail Boss is a very good choice for reduced loads. Much better than typical handgun powder reduced loads for the safety reason stated. You pretty much can't screw up with Trail Boss and there's a standard starting point that IMR recommends.

https://imrpowder.co...d-loads-r_p.pdf

Edited by Red, 08 March 2019 - 06:55 PM.

• Eric Mayer likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#3 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 71 posts
  • Local time: 09:20 AM

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

I luv the .204 Ruger. I like to load my 204 rounds hot!

At this time of year I begin to reload.

PoGBbM.jpg

and after some time spent this happens

0ZlmcE.jpg

My hard work reloading is shown in this video with spectacular results that I enjoy. Give this video a minute it gets going :-) We are both shooting 204's

• Eric Mayer, Red, mongochicago and 2 others like this

#4 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 99 posts
  • Local time: 12:20 PM

Posted 09 March 2019 - 04:57 AM

Haha... Capitol!!!
That's an awesome video.
Wow I wish I would've been there.
Nice job.. and great shooting!!

#5 aczraad

aczraad

Varminter

• 39 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 AM

Posted 28 March 2019 - 08:24 PM

I've been reading a lot of info on reduced loads. I've tried several different with trail boss, haven't found accurate one yet. I tried 2 with H4895.... filthy. So I bought a canister of BD. Now, my testing has been limited, because I was short on time, but I may have finally found what I was looking for. I shot 3rd groups at 50yrd, 2 guns. I loaded from 12 to 13gr in 0.2 increments. I figured I would shoot at 50 first because if they aren't tight there, it's not worth the extra 100yd round trip. I'm super happy so far, I loaded up 13-14 the same way but didn't have enough time to get to those. By the way....223, not 204. I threw charges light, then trickle to correct weight. Can't wait to get it dialed in. Not trying to thread jack, just giving my 2¢. Seafire is the guy you are looking for if anyone wants some real research and results. I can post measurements of groups if anyone is interested
  • Z-MAX likes this