NOE .25 Hunter Pellet Penetration

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rsterne

rsterne

Varminter

• 74 posts
  • Local time: 11:15 PM
  • Interests:Airguns, in particular PCPs; grouse hunting; varmint hunting; ATVing; Astronomy.

Posted 27 February 2019 - 05:35 PM

I did a soap penetration test today, comparing the 26.7 gr. NOE Hunter pellet to a 25.4 gr. JSB King, both fired from my regulated 2560 which shoots at 52 FPE.... Here are the recovered pellets, side and front view....

Side_zps0zzpb4cu.jpg

Front_zpsipeb9jsb.jpg

The head of the NOE pellet after impact was a few thou larger than the head of the JSB.... The JSB shortened a few thou more than the NOE, probably because I used 40:1 alloy (2.5% tin) to cast the NOE instead of pure lead.... The Meplat of the NOE pellet increased in diameter from 0.160" to 0.210", and showed a noticeable cupping as it expanded.... Even though the NOE pellet had a slightly greater SD because it is 1.3 gr. heavier, the penetration was a bit less, 120 mm instead of 130 mm.... showing that it is dumping energy faster during penetration as the flat nose of the pellet expands....

While this is not a perfect comparison with how the NOE Hunter pellet will perform on game, it is certainly an indication that is is doing what it was designed to do.... 

Bob

Edited by rsterne, 27 February 2019 - 05:42 PM.

Mozey-On-Inn and discover what Coalmont has to offer.

www.mozey-on-inn.com

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,645 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM

Posted 13 March 2019 - 07:29 PM

I've been reading your information as you post it.  Now that I have an Air Arms in a .25, I'm particularly interested in your pellets.  Fill me in on where I might be able to get some.  Thanks!

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#3 rsterne

rsterne

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 74 posts
  • Local time: 11:15 PM
  • Interests:Airguns, in particular PCPs; grouse hunting; varmint hunting; ATVing; Astronomy.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 07:17 AM

Moulds are available from NOE at:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/

Bob

Edited by rsterne, 14 March 2019 - 07:18 AM.

Mozey-On-Inn and discover what Coalmont has to offer.

www.mozey-on-inn.com

#4 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 380 posts
  • Local time: 12:15 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 15 March 2019 - 04:03 AM

In his defense... Bob is a perfectionist. I do look up to him, if for no other reason than he has what I don't... Terminal Patience!