4 replies to this topic

#1 JoelDixon199

JoelDixon199

Varminter

• 3 posts
  • Local time: 10:52 PM

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:07 AM

Hello everybody,

My name is Joel Dixon, i live and hunt in Newfoundland, an island on the east coast of Canada. I'm 22 years old and have been hunting and fishing for most of my life, mostly small game, black bears and moose. I am brand new on the coyote scene, we have coyotes here but i do not think, from what i can tell they are in great numbers like they are down in the states. I have spent hours and hours out in the woods now scouting, calling and hunting coyotes but to no avail. I am hunting with a .223 savage axis, a nice starter gun, i have a variety of mouth distress calls, a few mouth howlers and just a cheap Cass Creek E-Caller. I have seen some tracks and that in the areas i'm hunting, and a couple times i have heard them howl back but can never seem to get a visual. Hunters i met in the same area have said they have seen or heard them as well so i know they are around. Im still learning, putting boots on the ground and putting in the dirt time to try to get better and finally shoot one of my own. 

Ill be around, reading materials here and asking questions to become a better predator hunter, and tips will help

Thanks, and happy hunting

Joel Dixon

Edited by JoelDixon199, 03 February 2019 - 06:08 AM.

#2 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,106 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:46 AM

Welcome aboard Joel & good luck chasing down that first coyote. I had one of them small hand held Cass Creek callers for crows and it worked extremely well on them.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#3 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 27 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:39 PM

Welcome Joel...

I don't have much luck calling here in northern Michigan either. keep trying bud. Good luck

#4 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,500 posts
  • Local time: 06:22 PM

Posted 04 February 2019 - 01:14 PM

Welcome to the group

Sean

#5 Wino

Wino

Varminter

• 142 posts
  • Local time: 07:22 PM
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting and photography.

Posted 07 February 2019 - 05:54 PM

Newfoundland is an island?  Well, either way, good luck on your first yote. I'm betting they have great fur this time of year. 

Wino