• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aczraad

aczraad

Varminter

• 25 posts
  • Local time: 06:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

I'm new to reloading for rifles. I have reloaded shot shells and 9mm. I'm wanting to start with.223 for varmints and predators. I have two rifles for this, a Savage axis and a win70, both 1:12. I'm leaning towards 50gr, but smaller would be great too. Anyone out there with ideas on bullets, powders, etc. I've been all over the net and have two manuals, so I have good starting references, but looking for real world experience. Thank you in advance for any pointers

#2 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 50 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:23 AM

I load 50 grain Nosler Lead Free bullets with 25 grains of Varget. They are loaded for an AR15 so I dont pay to much attention to COAL, but mine are set at 2.24. You are loading for bolt guns, so you will want to work on COAL a bit. I get true 100 yard MOA with that load.

I pretty much stay with Varget and H4895 because they are less temperature sensitive then other powders. I shoot in 20 degrees in the winter and 90 degrees in the summer.

Hope that helps,

#3 aczraad

aczraad

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

Capital, that does help because I was leaning towards W748, with varget being another good option. I shoot in weather swings as well from 40s to 100+, did not know about temp sensitivity of powder

#4 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 366 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:59 PM

Nowadays, most of my shooting is via airguns. In general, airguns are a bit more finicky about the twist rate vs. the projectiles weight and overall length. 

My favorite airgun, is my W.A.R. Cobra, in .25 caliber. The twist is 1:25. It stabilizes 25.39 grainers (880 FPS) perfectly, and the 33.39 grainers marginally, unless the velocity is set above 950 FPS. At that velocity, you use a lot more air, and accuracy isn't as good. 

At present, I've tried about 5 different, non lead pellets, and none of them group past about 25 yards, no matter the weight. But there is another issue.

I've posted several articles here and on my site (airgungulid.com) about lead in general. If we would take the time to do some research, we'd find that much more lead is in the environment due to lead in gasoline, than was ever deposited due to firearms and pellets guns. I'll buy the need to use non lead shot for water fowl (Rachel Carlson effect), but geez... Do we need non lead shot when shooting prairie dogs of ground squirrels? I think not!

• Spud likes this

#5 aczraad

aczraad

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

I'm on the fence about lead free. In the true condor zone, maybe, I've read some reports. Otherwise I think it's just more gun control. If you can't realistically start hunting with a .22, most people won't, and it will die slowly by generation. I'm sure the days of lead for target practice are numbered as well. I love the beauty of this state, but the politicians have ruined it, can't wait to get out

#6 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,636 posts
  • Local time: 07:26 PM

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:13 PM

I agree with you on the real purpose for lead-free ammo in California.

With regards to reloading, I have had great luck with the lead-free Nosler E-Tips 55gr and the Hornady NTX 35gr bullets.  The latter being good on small varmints.  I do not have load info any longer, but do a lot of testing to get your best accuracy.

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#7 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 27 posts
  • Local time: 09:26 PM

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:15 AM

There are so many powders on the market today it's hard to make a decision. For my.223s I like benchmark. It seems to give consistent speeds when shot through The crony. Runs clean in my AR-15 rigs.

#8 Plumas

Plumas

Varminter

• 35 posts
  • Interests:Anything that goes bang.
    Lake Almanor fishing.
    Dreaming of an X Zone tag.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:19 AM

I load 26 gr, Varget with the Barnes Varmint Grenade 36g gr, lead-free... chrono's at 3400 in a 24" barrel and 1-12" twist...one jagged hole at 100 yards...but all guns have their own best diet so as said before, you must just get out there and shoot enough powders and bullets and COAL's to find your own best safe load.

I started with the Hodgdon on-line manual.

My rifle likes a coal of 2.225 for the 36 gr Barnes. With winds up to 10mph  I can manage pretty well with but with gusts or higher winds I move to the Speer TNT 50 gr. with 27 gr. Varget for 3225 out the muzzle.

I did not keep count but I'm sure it took over 100 rounds to narrow down and settle on the load above. 

I hate the way Varget measures but can't argue with the performance& accuracy sweet spot. Like Capital, I shoot in all weather and temps, Varget has been a rock for consistency, and 26 gr pretty much fills the case, minor compaction, and therefore no void spots in the case with fired. My chrono work is at 4600' elevation, may vary a bit at lower elevations with denser air.

Just sight in for one then sight in for the other and record the clicks so you can move back and forth as weather changes, It is not super precise but works in the field just fine if you have a scope with consistent movement per click.

#9 aczraad

aczraad

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

Plumas, I appreciate your and everyone help. I've tried a couple different loads so far, not super happy yet, anywhere from 1.75 to .36" groups. If I could get .36" consistently, I'd be done with that load for that gun, more experimenting to do. The best factory loads give me great groups out of both guns, so I may try to copy it's coal, which is shorter than I've used so far. I thought closer to lands would be better, but I guess I need to keep trying. No bad signs yet, so that's good