• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• 29 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 AM

Posted 12 January 2019 - 12:41 PM

So I see a lot of people like to use shooting sticks. The only problem is I don't have much moolah as I'm a student, and hike to most of my locations which means the shooting sticks need to be very portable.

I made a pair out of 3/8 fiberglass rod. 3/8 rod is commonly used in electric fence posts, and is very cheap. However, I made mine out of "driveway markers" which I got at Canadian Tire. They were 58" long, so I had to cut them down. Came in at $8 Canadian each.

https://www.canadian...03330p.html#spc

I purchased a bunch of camo paracord from Michael's for about $8.

I spray painted the rods brown, used a cobra stitch for the tops where the rifle rests, and used a prusik knot to tie them together. :) This is how it turned out:

Shooting Sticks.jpg

Total cost was around $24 plus tax Canadian. :)

Edited by Tetroniker, 13 January 2019 - 08:40 AM.

• Old Hickory likes this

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,079 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:11 PM

Very good. I used homemade sticks for years. A few years ago I bought some adjustable length sticks and yeah they cost a little more but I've been very happy because of the easy height adjustment.

Similar to these,

https://www.amazon.c...5c-e1c90619d9c3

Edited by Red, 12 January 2019 - 06:14 PM.

• Tetroniker likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#3 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:39 AM

Very good. I used homemade sticks for years. A few years ago I bought some adjustable length sticks and yeah they cost a little more but I've been very happy because of the easy height adjustment.

Similar to these,

https://www.amazon.c...5c-e1c90619d9c3

Do you find them heavy? Would they be easy to hike long distances with?

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,079 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 01:34 PM

Mine are very lightweight. Not sure of the brand anymore. They're no heavier, or significantly so, than ones I'd made from dowel rods in the past. I still have some homemade ones that are height adjustable but the store bought ones are less fiddly to adjust. That has saved me a couple times. When I'm walking to or from a stand I'll extend them to about the right length for kneeling. If I spot a coyote while on the move I can quickly drop to one knee and take the shot. Once I get to the set, I'll lower them to the correct sitting height for that particular spot. They're also handy when I need to spread a barbed wire fence a little bit so I can slip through.

I had a good set I'd made years ago. I used some sort of latex or silicone tubing to tie them together and they adjusted real quick. I'd stopped to take a picture of a dead coyote. I walked off and left them laying in the field. Went back the following week and they were gone.

Edited by Red, 13 January 2019 - 01:45 PM.

• Tetroniker likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#5 REXRAY

REXRAY

Varminter

• 41 posts
  • Local time: 05:37 AM
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, fishing, motorcycles.

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:33 PM

I have a Vanguard adjustable bipod similar to the one in the link above, but a different model number.  I am in the habit of carrying mine upside down by the strap between the legs.  I had to zip tie the head or yoke onto mine because it kept unscrewing and falling off the legs while I was walking.  I had to back track my trail at least twice looking for the yoke.  Haven't had it come off since I zip tied it on.

• Tetroniker likes this

#6 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:44 PM

I have a Vanguard adjustable bipod similar to the one in the link above, but a different model number.  I am in the habit of carrying mine upside down by the strap between the legs.  I had to zip tie the head or yoke onto mine because it kept unscrewing and falling off the legs while I was walking.  I had to back track my trail at least twice looking for the yoke.  Haven't had it come off since I zip tied it on.

Thanks for the info REXRAY. :) I think I'll stick with my homemade ones for a bit until I outgrow them.

#7 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 409 posts
  • Local time: 06:37 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:41 PM

I didn't make my sticks, but I could have, based on what I received from Amazon! But... They work well for me. At less than $15US delivered to my door, I can't complain too much!

• Tetroniker likes this

#8 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

I didn't make my sticks, but I could have, based on what I received from Amazon! But... They work well for me. At less than $15US delivered to my door, I can't complain too much!

Can you share which sticks you got Alan? Do you have a link?

#9 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 409 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:46 PM

https://www.amazon.c...shooting sticks

When I bought them, I had a coupon. But even at this advertised price, they're still a bargain. 

• Tetroniker likes this

#10 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:55 PM

https://www.amazon.c...shooting sticks

When I bought them, I had a coupon. But even at this advertised price, they're still a bargain. 

For some crazy reason the Canadian version is $60! :(

https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B001BXVUN6

#11 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 409 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

It is the SNOW effect!

• Tetroniker likes this

#12 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 106 posts
  • Local time: 08:37 AM

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:15 PM

I'm not very good with sticks.. if I have to hoof it a ways I generally Carry my Caldwell Field pod. This summer I bought a mtm high low shooting bench. Very light weight, easy to carry, very stable shooting platform.

#13 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 106 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:17 PM

I'm not very good with sticks.. if I have to hoof it a ways I generally Carry my Caldwell Field pod. This summer I bought a mtm high low shooting bench. Very light weight, easy to carry, very stable shooting platform.
  • Tetroniker likes this

#14 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 106 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:40 PM

Sorry for the double post.. was trying to upload a picture of the Field pod.. here ya goIMG_20180722_193147-1024x576.jpg
  • Tetroniker likes this

#15 Z-MAX

Z-MAX

Varminter

• 106 posts

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:01 PM

And 1 of the high lowIMG_20180825_115524-1024x576.jpg
  • Tetroniker likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: paracord, shooting sticks, diy, hunting