Photo

Just a quick suggestion for the admin. :)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• 29 posts
  • Local time: 02:14 AM

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

I used to run a very successful XenForo forum (which I sold). However, if I may respectfully offer up a suggestion. Any thread created should be set by default to be auto followed by the thread author. I don't know IPB3 very well, but I suspect this option is available.

The only reason I'm mentioning this is that I had made a thread and a number of replies occurred, but I had no idea since I didn't receive notifications.

This means any new person would think the forum was way less active than it really is. Just an idea and certainly not trying to tell you all what to do, obviously do whatever you guys wish.

Thanks for having me,

Matthew

• Eric Mayer and Old Hickory like this

#2 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 405 posts
  • Local time: 01:14 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 08 January 2019 - 11:50 AM

Second opinion. It is easy to check the box to enable emails to be sent (opt in). Setting the Opt-Out as a default, would harass every other user. I can't speak for anyone except myself, but I get enough emails now!

• Red and Tetroniker like this

#3 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:05 PM

Second opinion. It is easy to check the box to enable emails to be sent (opt in). Setting the Opt-Out as a default, would harass every other user. I can't speak for anyone except myself, but I get enough emails now!

No argument from me, we all have too many emails in this day and age!

I was more meaning the notification tool bar, not email.

Untitled.jpg

In the user profile, I would just change the default setting to this:

Untitled.png

As a new user, I just got the impression not many people were on here because no notifications were coming through.

I mean this post to be helpful, the last thing people like is some newbie joining and telling others what to do... that's not my intention! I will just adjust my own personal settings, I just thought it might be helpful was all. :)

Edited by Tetroniker, 09 January 2019 - 03:57 AM.

• MikeNC likes this

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,144 posts
  • Local time: 03:14 AM

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

I like hearing about ideas like yours Tetroniker and I'm sure Eric enjoys having guys like yourself who are willing to throw such stuff out there into the mix, especially when they have the past forum experience that you do. 

• RickyI, Old Hickory and Tetroniker like this
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:15 PM

I don't mind suggestions at all.  This version of IPB is extremely dated.  The newest version has a lot of upgrades to it, including the notification feature you mentioned.  Because of the time it will take and because my hunting seasons are just beginning, I will be upgrading in early summer.  I've looked at Zenforo since they started and may even make the jump to that software, depending on how well it integrates with Wordpress.

• Old Hickory and Tetroniker like this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#6 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

I don't mind suggestions at all.  This version of IPB is extremely dated.  The newest version has a lot of upgrades to it, including the notification feature you mentioned.  Because of the time it will take and because my hunting seasons are just beginning, I will be upgrading in early summer.  I've looked at Zenforo since they started and may even make the jump to that software, depending on how well it integrates with Wordpress.

Hey Eric, if I may... check this XenForo / Wordpress integration out:

https://demo.themehouse.com/xpress/wp/

Obviously the WordPress blog portion can be anything you need it to be, but it integrates quite well.

• Eric Mayer likes this

#7 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,650 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 02:10 PM

That is a nice set-up.  My issue is keeping with the "Magazine" format I currently have, without it taking a ton of customization.  I would be okay with just a forum and a bridge, so people logged in on the forums can comment directly in the articles as well.  I may end up going that route.

Thanks!

• Tetroniker likes this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#8 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 03:24 PM

That is a nice set-up.  My issue is keeping with the "Magazine" format I currently have, without it taking a ton of customization.  I would be okay with just a forum and a bridge, so people logged in on the forums can comment directly in the articles as well.  I may end up going that route.

Thanks!

I've done the forum / bridge combination before on a number of platforms. The problem I run into is that I like it to be aesthetically "identical", so if someone clicks between the homepage "magazine", and the "forum", it's seamless. That can be hard to achieve, but have done so using Discourse. Obviously the link above shows a seamless variant as well.