• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,058 posts
  • Local time: 11:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:30 PM

I'm not a huge coyote slayer to begin with. But my county here in NC is restricted to rimfire & shotgun. Deer hunters have a muzzle loader season, but they have to be so many feet above the ground. I think it's 15 feet. At any rate, I've killed 6 or 7 coyotes here and all have been with the 22 mag. I bought one of them 3000 + fps RF jobbers in order to retire my 22 mag from such duties and have not shot one since  :lol: But in other areas not RF restricted I have my CZ 527 Varmint in .204 PS.... I don't think your going to match that blondie. You might consider making Glen a pair of slippers out of her and start from scratch on that throw.

I'm from Ontario, Canada, and we don't have caliber restrictions for coyotes. We do for pretty much everything else. I think if I was to go center fire I'd go 223 only because as far as I can tell, ammo is cheap. However, others here will know more than me.

I wish I knew how rare that dang blonde coyote was, I'd have skinned out the feet to make a wall hanger. What I'm going to do for the throw is collect, flesh, and tan every coyote I get until I can start fur matching (see you in a couple years :D).

Ammo cost for shooting coyotes isn't really a concern. At least it isn't for me and the number of coyotes I shoot. Nothing wrong with a 223 but I wouldn't let ammo cost dictate.

• Old Hickory likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#17 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,825 posts
  • Local time: 02:19 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:10 AM

Red nailed it for sure. Having said that I'm heavily thinking about an AR in 17HMR to double tap groundhogs & with a little luck a coyote or 3. I know for sure there will be some double tapping clays at the range too.

Ammo costs are the last thing I consider because I don't want a stick in the gun safe.

• Old Hickory likes this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#18 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts
  • Local time: 11:19 AM

Posted 10 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

I'm not a huge coyote slayer to begin with. But my county here in NC is restricted to rimfire & shotgun. Deer hunters have a muzzle loader season, but they have to be so many feet above the ground. I think it's 15 feet. At any rate, I've killed 6 or 7 coyotes here and all have been with the 22 mag. I bought one of them 3000 + fps RF jobbers in order to retire my 22 mag from such duties and have not shot one since  :lol: But in other areas not RF restricted I have my CZ 527 Varmint in .204 PS.... I don't think your going to match that blondie. You might consider making Glen a pair of slippers out of her and start from scratch on that throw.

I'm from Ontario, Canada, and we don't have caliber restrictions for coyotes. We do for pretty much everything else. I think if I was to go center fire I'd go 223 only because as far as I can tell, ammo is cheap. However, others here will know more than me.

I wish I knew how rare that dang blonde coyote was, I'd have skinned out the feet to make a wall hanger. What I'm going to do for the throw is collect, flesh, and tan every coyote I get until I can start fur matching (see you in a couple years :D).

Ammo cost for shooting coyotes isn't really a concern. At least it isn't for me and the number of coyotes I shoot. Nothing wrong with a 223 but I wouldn't let ammo cost dictate.

I wouldn't say it's the cost of shooting coyotes, that would be negligible.

I mean more that whatever rifle I buy, ammo cost is a major consideration. I'm a student who likes to spend hours shooting. It's why I actually dislike the 22wmr, and can't spend as much time at the range as I can with a 22lr.

If I could do it over, I'd get a 22lr, 223, and 12 gauge. That would cover all the game I can hunt in Southern Ontario, while also keeping ammo cost down and accessible imo.

Edited by Tetroniker, 10 January 2019 - 02:08 PM.

• Glen and MikeNC like this

#19 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 10:19 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 11 January 2019 - 01:56 AM

Red nailed it for sure. Having said that I'm heavily thinking about an AR in 17HMR to double tap groundhogs & with a little luck a coyote or 3. I know for sure there will be some double tapping clays at the range too.

Ammo costs are the last thing I consider because I don't want a stick in the gun safe.

Get a .17 WSM, is much better, Glen.

#20 Wino

Wino

Varminter

• 146 posts
  • Local time: 09:19 AM
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting and photography.

Posted 13 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

I don't know about the .17wsm for yotes. I saw a youtube video of a guy who hits a fur'd up yote broadside in the lungs. It took him a long time to recover. I think he had to but another in it. In the postmortem, he found what was left of the round wrapped in fur and it only went into one lung.  But I guess you could just head shoot them. 

Edited by Wino, 13 January 2019 - 11:02 PM.

• Old Hickory and Tetroniker like this