• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• 29 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 PM

Posted 06 January 2019 - 04:15 PM

I went predator hunting for the first time and totally lucked out. I don't have many guns, just a shotgun and a 22wmr. I'm an okay shot with the 22wmr so figured I'd give it a go.

I first purchased a closed reed hand call known as the Primos Double Cottontail, and then watched a few YouTube videos to hear what a rabbit distress call sounds like.

I live in an apartment and while my wife is cool with me cleaning game in the kitchen, I figured I'd prep the coyote in the field if I was so lucky to get one.

I walked out into my bush along the perimeter and got behind where I thought the coyotes were (with the wind in my face). I sat down and started calling. I kid you not within less then 1min a coyote came out of the bush across the field which was about 50yrds away. Well, now I have my first coyote!!

She was just a young female, but I love her fur! Now time to flesh and tan. :)

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

• Old Hickory, REXRAY and Steve D like this

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,067 posts

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:39 AM

Well you're hooked now. I see a fast small caliber centerfire in your future.

Protector of the nuts.

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,144 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:21 AM

Good job and another troublemaker gone. Looks like you will have a nice looking pelt.

• Tetroniker likes this
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#4 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,825 posts
  • Local time: 11:07 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:22 AM

Dang that's a purdy orange lookin pelt Tet!! Congratulations & you done good!!!!!

• Tetroniker likes this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#5 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 2,079 posts
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:03 PM

Dang, that was fast. Looks like you're off to a great start! :)

Nice pics too.

• Tetroniker likes this

#6 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,522 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:24 PM

Good job, but now you will feel the long waits for action....gives you time to think of your first and greatest hunt. 

Sean

• Tetroniker likes this

#7 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 07:07 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:52 AM

Well done hunt and nice coyote! 

• Tetroniker likes this

#8 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:27 AM

Well you're hooked now. I see a fast small caliber centerfire in your future.

The problem is that I'm a nursing student (second career) so I'm pretty broke. :) I agree though, something like a 223 would probably be better.

#9 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

Good job and another troublemaker gone. Looks like you will have a nice looking pelt.

The only problem is I haven't seen to many like it, no idea how I'm gonna fur match this thing to make something bigger like a throw!

#10 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

Dang, that was fast. Looks like you're off to a great start! :)

Nice pics too.

Thank you. :)

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,144 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:26 PM

I'm not a huge coyote slayer to begin with. But my county here in NC is restricted to rimfire & shotgun. Deer hunters have a muzzle loader season, but they have to be so many feet above the ground. I think it's 15 feet. At any rate, I've killed 6 or 7 coyotes here and all have been with the 22 mag. I bought one of them 3000 + fps RF jobbers in order to retire my 22 mag from such duties and have not shot one since  :lol: But in other areas not RF restricted I have my CZ 527 Varmint in .204 PS.... I don't think your going to match that blondie. You might consider making Glen a pair of slippers out of her and start from scratch on that throw.

• Tetroniker likes this
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#12 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:35 PM

I'm not a huge coyote slayer to begin with. But my county here in NC is restricted to rimfire & shotgun. Deer hunters have a muzzle loader season, but they have to be so many feet above the ground. I think it's 15 feet. At any rate, I've killed 6 or 7 coyotes here and all have been with the 22 mag. I bought one of them 3000 + fps RF jobbers in order to retire my 22 mag from such duties and have not shot one since  :lol: But in other areas not RF restricted I have my CZ 527 Varmint in .204 PS.... I don't think your going to match that blondie. You might consider making Glen a pair of slippers out of her and start from scratch on that throw.

I'm from Ontario, Canada, and we don't have caliber restrictions for coyotes. We do for pretty much everything else. I think if I was to go center fire I'd go 223 only because as far as I can tell, ammo is cheap. However, others here will know more than me.

I wish I knew how rare that dang blonde coyote was, I'd have skinned out the feet to make a wall hanger. What I'm going to do for the throw is collect, flesh, and tan every coyote I get until I can start fur matching (see you in a couple years :D).

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,144 posts

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:19 PM

Actually our caliber restriction is not coyote or game related, but supposedly because of the flat terrain and safety measures for that reason  <_< Just keep having some fun as that is what it's all about. That 223 is a fine choice of caliber as well. Flat shooting, negligible  recoil and like you say...ammo is plentiful and cheap.

• Tetroniker likes this

#14 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 73 posts
  • Local time: 06:07 PM

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:45 PM

Purchased a hand call and on the first time out called one in?! Well at least you watched Youtube so you knew what you were doing :lol: :D

Nice going... Keep up the good work.

• Tetroniker likes this

#15 Tetroniker

Tetroniker

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:56 AM

Purchased a hand call and on the first time out called one in?! Well at least you watched Youtube so you knew what you were doing :lol: :D

Nice going... Keep up the good work.

Haha. Don't worry, I'm well aware I got lucky. I just tried to sound like something horribly dying.