Varminter

• 63 posts
  • Local time: 10:59 PM
  • Interests:Anything that goes bang.
    Lake Almanor fishing.
    Dreaming of an X Zone tag.

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:33 AM

Hello all,

Having gotten over the angst of buying a 17HMR to compliment the .223 for shorter distances I have been looking at options.

Like the idea of a semi-auto but am not thrilled with the bit more intricate cleaning necessary.

Like old fashioned walnut stocks and I find a personal growing interest in the Browning T Bolt due to speed of cycling, good wood and easier maintenance.

I'd love to hear from owners...accuracy (can I expect 1" or better at 100 yards?), glad you bought it, would buy another, ease of the action to cycle without lifting your head off the cheek....that sort of thing. I live in a lead-free state (I cry even having to type that)...any issues you've come across with that ammo and accuracy?

They are pricey compared to the Savages and Rugers out there but it just seems like a unique thing and that holds an attraction in itself.

So, I need a kick...talk me into it or talk me out of it...real world experiences by those that know more than me.

Thank you Forum people!

#2 REXRAY

REXRAY

Varminter

• 41 posts
  • Interests:Varmint hunting, fishing, motorcycles.

Posted 20 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

I have a Browning T-bolt in 17 Hmr, but with the maple stock.  It is probably my favorite 17 Hmr rifle (also the most expensive).  The rifle feels smaller than some of my other 17 Hmr rifles. I think the length of pull is a little shorter.  I do like the light weight and trim handling of the rifle and the straight pull bolt can be cycled really quickly.  Mine is quite accurate and will shoot one inch groups at 100 yards with both Hornady ammo and the CCI A17 ammo.  

Browning claims the rifle has an adjustable trigger, but I turned the adjustment screw until it came out of the rifle, with no change in the trigger pull weight.  The stock trigger was very crisp with no over travel, but was too heavy to suit me.  I purchased an after market Jard trigger for my rifle.

I have never tried any of the lead free ammo.

I have been looking at another T-bolt with the walnut stock.  It is a beautiful rifle, but can't justify spending that much for another in the same caliber, knowing that I would have to spend another $250.00 to replace the factory trigger.

Now if Browning brings out a T-bolt rifle in 17 WSM, then yes, I would buy another one in an instant and another Jard trigger for it.

#3 Plumas

Plumas

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
    Lake Almanor fishing.

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

A good start, thanks REXRAY, did the Jard make a significant difference to you?

#4 REXRAY

REXRAY

Varminter

• 41 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

Yes, the Jard trigger made a big difference.  It is very easily adjustable to well under a pound.  I have mine at about 1.5 pounds pull weight.

#5 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

Have been using a T-Bolt in 22 mag with great success. Light and agile and the recent improvements in the 22mag ammo makes it a great spur of the moment choice for me.

Sean

#6 Plumas

Plumas

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
    Lake Almanor fishing.

Posted 21 December 2018 - 04:14 PM

Well, I'm still very interested in your stories and insights but as I took the step and placed an order today I can write my own review in a few weeks.

Of course I am considered in danger of being nuts so my great state makes me wait 10 days, but after that I'll let you know.

Now I'm thinking of what optics to pair it up with...??

#7 REXRAY

REXRAY

Varminter

• 41 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:32 PM

DSCN3401.JPG I have a Bushnell Elite 4500 model in 6X24 power on mine.  It is a 1 inch tube with a 40 mm objective and side parallax adjustment.  A little longer than a 3X9 but not by much. I liked this scope enough that I have two of them.  I am not sure they are still available for purchase.

#8 Plumas

Plumas

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
    Lake Almanor fishing.

Posted 22 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

Maple stock, beautiful fiddle-back.

Did you go with the Browning scope base/rings? Ok height and relief distance for you?

#9 REXRAY

REXRAY

Varminter

• 41 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

I have had my T-bolt for about 5 1/2 years. I am not home, so I can't look at it to refresh my memory, (I did zoom in on the picture i posted)but I think I used Weaver bases and Leupold Rifleman rings.

Eye relief and scope height are fine for me.

#10 Plumas

Plumas

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
    Lake Almanor fishing.

Posted 22 December 2018 - 09:10 PM

I have a pair of Weaver #15 bases coming, and several sets of rings laying around, guess we'll start with that and a 2x7 Redfield Widefield scope that is uncommitted at the moment...not yet decided what optics will find a home on this new addition. Hardly ever use higher than 9x on my 223 with a 4x16 so I'm thinking a 3x9 should be fine on the 17.

#11 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:46 PM

Have 6x18 on my three T bolts. Two are maple stocked w Leopold base and rings. When I bought them I got one in each caliber. When asked what was my favorite gun I replied the one I was shooting at the time. Going to take all three out this weekend because of this thread...thanks.

Sean

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts
  • Local time: 01:59 AM

Posted 24 December 2018 - 05:05 PM

I looked at them when they first came out. Having had an old '64 era T-Bolt at the time I was intrigued. The new ones are really nice rifles. I noticed the same thing with the trigger being heavier than I liked. That's pretty much the way for most rifles these days. The gun counter guy kinda freaked when I dry fired it but I wasn't going to drop the cash before trying it. I ended up not buying simply because I wanted a heavier rifle for my needs. But they are nice and unique.

Protector of the nuts.

#13 Plumas

Plumas

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 63 posts
    Lake Almanor fishing.

Posted 24 December 2018 - 07:54 PM

Yes I expect a heavy trigger, don't like it though.

Too back the only after-market is fairly pricey. Not a simple thing to change springs out either from what I've discovered.

If there are options out there I'd love to be educated. But honestly for a rifle of this price you think the trigger would be a non-issue.

Browning needs to take a hint from Ruger and their BX trigger for the 10-22, works like a charm in my Take-Down and it carries a workin' man's price.

#14 VMaxSplat

VMaxSplat

Varminter

• 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:53 PM

Don't have any experience with the new T-Bolt outside the gun shop, but I sure like them. I do wish Browning would lose the plastic trigger assembly... Interestingly, last weekend I bought a Belgian T-Bolt, circa 1968. It's a beautiful rifle that I look forward to shooting more very soon.

#15 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 10:20 AM

Don't have any experience with the new T-Bolt outside the gun shop, but I sure like them. I do wish Browning would lose the plastic trigger assembly... Interestingly, last weekend I bought a Belgian T-Bolt, circa 1968. It's a beautiful rifle that I look forward to shooting more very soon.

I eventually sold my '64. The safety being on the left side was inconvenient for me. I used it quite a bit but gradually gravitated away from it. So I let it go.

Edited by Red, 02 March 2019 - 10:21 AM.

Protector of the nuts.