10 replies to this topic

#1 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts
  • Local time: 06:25 AM

Posted 11 December 2018 - 01:20 PM

:lol: yeah this is gonna work...NOT! 

"the city is investing about $150,000 a year into its new urban coyote management plan"

https://www.cbc.ca/n...zlPEEPeOWbzIclk

• DittoHead and Old Hickory like this

Protector of the nuts.

#2 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 2,081 posts
  • Local time: 08:25 AM
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:39 PM

From the article:

The next step, she said, will be to train city employees to do the job of scaring coyotes. Citizens who are interested in taking up the cause may eventually be trained as well, she said.

I'm trying to imagine what that looks like. I'm drawing a blank. <_<

#3 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 436 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 11 December 2018 - 03:42 PM

Yes, see a coyote, call it in! Best just get out your UMAREX, .50 caliber airgun!

• Old Hickory likes this

#4 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 833 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM

Posted 12 December 2018 - 06:25 AM

Yes, see a coyote, call it in! Best just get out your UMAREX, .50 caliber airgun!

That's exactly what came to my mind as I was reading the article.

#5 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 351 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:53 AM

Put up full size posters of Rosie O'donnel and Nancy Pelosi.  If that doesn't scare them away, nothing will.

• Old Hickory likes this

#6 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:15 AM

I have handled several coyote/people calls at work and the coyotes were gone before I arrived at the locations. The callers were chased by coyotes but nobody was bitten. Of course, I had orders to shoot the coyotes. 

I don't believe the city has any intelligent plan for their problem coyotes because to be honest, some people fall short of being as smart as a coyote. ;)

• Red and Glen like this

#7 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,154 posts
  • Local time: 07:25 AM

Posted 13 December 2018 - 03:27 AM

People sure take a lot of stock in themselves & abilities, especially them government types. More wasted taxpayer money, but I suppose that is the intention. Just follow the money and see who's pockets are lined.

• Glen and Old Hickory like this
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#8 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,830 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 14 December 2018 - 07:18 AM

The problem I see that is never addressed is the fact that us,, well not me anymore :D,, can't stop breeding ourselves. Human encroachment on wildlife is the real issue that nobody will address or even recognize. We continue to build more homes in urban areas due to our breeding habits than the wildlife population can handle. It's not any sort of wildlife encroachment IMHO. It's human encroachment I believe. And I think wildlife handles it better than most people do. :lol: :lol:

Having said all that there is absolutely nothing that can be done about this. Our children, grandchildren, & so on have the absolute undeniable right to have their own Families & raise their own children. I believe wholeheartedly in the human encroachment theory on wildlife. B) B)

• MikeNC and Old Hickory like this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 14 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

bingo Glen !

additionally I'll add that I myself have scared the living crap out of a few coyotes. Each time it was completely unintentional. My goal was to actually hit them when I pulled the trigger instead of just scaring them.

Edited by Red, 14 December 2018 - 10:44 AM.

• Glen and Old Hickory like this

Protector of the nuts.

#10 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 15 December 2018 - 12:29 AM

To live with wildlife, humans must understand the animals. As we well know, it is futile for most humans. I have been very close to a lot of wild coyotes and never had a problem. This is probably due to my family and I raised one we had for eight good years because we understand them. Other wild pets were also included without problems.

One important thing about living with wild animals is the fact the animals learn they cannot trust most people and react accordingly. 

I'm not a tree hugger nor careless around wild animals but I do understand them. Feeding wild animals does not make them your friends. The people having the coyote problems have on purpose or accidentally provided for the animals and instilled less fear. 

Years ago out west I had over a dozen coyotes packed up and following at my heels, wanting a handout. The place was housing unit built for dam building workers. The coyotes were not aggressive, they were just tagging along for a handout. People that lived there left food out for the coyotes without complaints. It was a very strange situation, as far as I was concerned at the time.

#11 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,830 posts
  • Local time: 09:25 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, &amp; my 2 kids-- Crystal &amp; Glen Jr.

Posted 18 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

Just goes to show you cant trust those dam workers!! :P :P

Edited by Glen, 18 December 2018 - 10:32 AM.

• Red and Old Hickory like this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52