• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 82 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 AM

Posted 02 December 2018 - 05:18 PM

This Fox really snuck in on us. We had a pretty good view even though the branches were very thick. It reminded me of the Bobcat we called in at the same spot a few years ago it just appeared out of nowhere. I had to wait for it to move in to the smallest of clearings before taking the shot at 35 yards. We are using Pulsar thermal gear. Video is shot using a Helion XP38

https://youtu.be/Wsu-Imsx4pA

DALjb2.jpg

• Old Hickory likes this

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 01:01 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 02 December 2018 - 11:49 PM

Very nice, capitol! You have a lot of grays there?

#3 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 82 posts
  • Local time: 11:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2018 - 05:25 PM

There is a lot of Fox in the right places. Bobcat season starts here about a month before Fox season. I started calling Bobcat only a few days after opening day and called in six grays in seven stands, but not one Bobcat.

Since Fox season opened I usually can call in one Fox in 5 stands, go figure. I think they know whats up :-)

• Old Hickory likes this

#4 DittoHead

DittoHead

Varminter

• 2,081 posts
  • Local time: 03:01 PM
  • Interests:Reloading
    Guns and Hunting
    Computer Programming

Posted 04 December 2018 - 12:01 AM

I like the fur on those gray foxes. B)

Edited by DittoHead, 04 December 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#5 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,830 posts
  • Local time: 04:01 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:52 PM

Both Red & Grays are scarce around these parts. I'd like to have one of each tanned on the wall from the 17HMR but I can't bring myself to target them.

• Old Hickory likes this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#6 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 01:01 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 08 December 2018 - 02:32 AM

Same here, Glen. The only gray I have seen around here I shot many years ago. I used to fox hunt a lot. Now that they are scarce here, I don't shoot them.

#7 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,830 posts
  • Local time: 04:01 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:17 AM

Dad, one Uncle & several of their Friends went out twice a month throughout the early to mid 70's on Saturday night. They literally had 10s of thousands of private acres to hunt on. Miles upon miles of dirt road frontage where they could park & roam a lot of land quickly then move on. Reds brought IIRC near $90 & grays brought $75+/-. I don't recall exactly.

However I do remember one of the Friends would not even get out of the car if they called near a cemetery!! :lol: :lol:   He was a good man that treated everybodies kids like they were his own. He passed in his early 40's & is missed by all.

• Old Hickory likes this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52