• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts
  • Local time: 06:27 AM

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:24 AM

yes I'm reading an upgraded IR makes the difference and allows visibility much further out.

and I agree on the cost, up to the individual. We can hunt at night but only during Fox season. I imagine because they don't want foxes being mistaken for a coyote out of season. Since it is seasonal, that's a factor as far as spending the money also.

Protector of the nuts.

#17 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 AM

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:42 AM

I never took into account that there is a season there. I forget they are an invasive species here. So pretty much anything goes as long as you are not basically shooting on the road I think its 50 ft off the road and a general hunting license. To hunt them year around. So I would have probably not bought a thermal either if I only had a few months to hunt. Even tho I go much less during the humid summer of Georgia. But I do still Manage to do well during the heat.

Red I think you would be happy with night vision over lights. but still, with a short season, it's kinda iffy in my opinion. I feel you can be almost or just as successful with lights with the correct knowledge of using them.

But that is one thing I dislike about thermal hunting now. I only have a few friends I can go with now. Cause ppl wanna come hunting with me that just have lights and its just a waste of my hunting sets. Where when I was just using lights it was almost a party. 

To change the topic a bit. Red or anyone else wanna chime in on if they use cover scent or anything of that type.. I have been using Tinker Skunk scent and I swear I have had improvement with hunts. But, Wooo Do not get it on you.

https://www.youtube....kfbIqWC3JDNC-1QThermal coyote hunting video!

Jayboonie

#18 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts
  • Local time: 06:27 AM

Posted 16 October 2018 - 11:58 AM

To be clear, we can legally shoot coyotes 365 days/year in daylight hours. The seasonal restriction is for night hunting.

Edited by Red, 16 October 2018 - 11:59 AM.

Protector of the nuts.

#19 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 833 posts
  • Local time: 07:27 AM

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:48 PM

My preferred cover scent for deer is cedar. They grow wild here in Oklahoma so it's natural. I take a branch and rub it vigorously on my pants while I'm sitting, or sometimes crush it between a couple of rocks. Sometimes I'll strip off the needles, (while wearing a pair of leather gloves) fill an old sock, then toss it in my backpack. I do believe it works because more deer approach me from down wind than when I wasn't doing this. I also shower and wash my clothes with unscented soap.

Cedar might work for coyotes also. And it's free.

• Red and Old Hickory like this