18 replies to this topic

#1 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• 91 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM

Posted 08 October 2018 - 02:10 PM

Posted Today, 06:01 PM

This is a youtube Link I do not know if it is allowed I didn't see a rule post in the forum but it is a decent video!!

Much more to come, boys.

Signing out Jay boonie

Edited by jayatnight, 08 October 2018 - 02:10 PM.

• Old Hickory likes this
https://www.youtube....kfbIqWC3JDNC-1QThermal coyote hunting video!

Jayboonie

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 01:22 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 09 October 2018 - 12:45 AM

Awesome video!

#3 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

I have some more coming soon.. in editing!

• Old Hickory likes this

Jayboonie

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:42 PM

Ok Jay I moved over here since I was railroading Glen's thread.

My question is, do you use any other night optics besides the thermal rifle mounted scope? Like a monocular or? That is to say, when calling coyotes at night typically you never really know what direction they are coming from and can be on you quick. If the only way to see is through the scope...I still have a problem.

In the old days, two guys with red head lamps, we'd scan continuously looking for eye shine. Shotguns at <50 yards you see. And even then sometimes one would slip in before we knew it.

Protector of the nuts.

#5 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:55 PM

I sit in the back of my truck on a bass boat seat with a welded gun rest I also made on a turret I made.. and i just scan with my scope.. around here they are so used to trucks and stuff in a pasture they don't even mind.

they generally come out in the way my caller is pointed.. but I do have many come in from random places when hunting larger pastures.

Soo to answer ur question.. I (try) to do some daytime scouting to find scat and track which helps with a general Idea at night.. but they usually come in the way the caller is pointed.. I used to hand call.. and they would come in more randomly

my father is older and uses glasses and he has a very hard time looking thru my scope. So you make want to take that into account if you wear glasses.

I will have to upload some videos of how closes I have had them to me.

Edited by jayatnight, 09 October 2018 - 04:00 PM.

Jayboonie

#6 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:09 PM

Good points. Yes I don't wear glasses to hunt/shoot. And we always used hand calls at night for a couple reasons but mainly with a red light you need them looking right at you. All you're really seeing is the eyes. So your scenario makes me think with the foxpro set out at 100 yards would allow me to scan without the fear of being busted so easily.

Thanks!!

Protector of the nuts.

#7 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:19 PM

yes and def I love my foxpro.

How I worked my red light set up when I first started the addiction. I had a large light on my gun that was duct taped to my gun  :nerdcamo:  and a strong red headlamp. I kept the lamp somewhat up in the air. just enough were I could see eyes if lucky to catch them. which I am sure u know about. then if I saw eyes I would just turn my gun light and hope I was pretty close to being lined up for the shot.

• MikeNC likes this

Jayboonie

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

It's a sketchy deal especially when hunting alone. I have a nice red light set up that I bought a couple years ago. It's way better than the way we used to do it. It's no where near as good as actually seeing with night vision or thermal though.

Protector of the nuts.

#9 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

I will just keep this as my thermal video thread if mods don't mind.  :nerdcamo: 

Gotta love when u don't have a shotty with you! 

up close and personal!

https://www.youtube....h?v=t3otKtLQt0E

Edited by Jayboonie, 10 October 2018 - 06:24 PM.

Jayboonie

#10 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 82 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:30 AM

Me like it. More videos please

#11 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:48 PM

Me like it. More videos please

ask and you shall receive 

Jayboonie

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:35 PM

I sit in the back of my truck on a bass boat seat with a welded gun rest I also made on a turret I made.. and i just scan with my scope.. around here they are so used to trucks and stuff in a pasture they don't even mind.

they generally come out in the way my caller is pointed.. but I do have many come in from random places when hunting larger pastures.

Soo to answer ur question.. I (try) to do some daytime scouting to find scat and track which helps with a general Idea at night.. but they usually come in the way the caller is pointed.. I used to hand call.. and they would come in more randomly

So in researching I definitely like the thermal better but it's not in my budget. The ATN 4k is doable tho it seems to me ideally an additional scanning monocular would be the ticket. Again buying the two are more than I'm prepared to spend. Or secondly if it were a baited area that'd be pretty good with just the NV scope also.

I'm gonna think on it for a couple months. I joined an on-line group to learn some more about these. It seems like there's a lot of talk of firmware upgrades etc. I don't get it? Must have to do with sending a video to a phone or computer or?

Protector of the nuts.

#13 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:00 AM

I don't know much about ATN night vision(heard good things). I just made the jump straight from lights to thermal. My scope "was pretty much plug and play". I do all my scanning with my gun but, if you hunt from the ground would probably harder to do. You would really have to have a good idea where they are going to come in at.

I was going to buy a thermal to scan with but it was almost as much as another scope. Which seems pointless when I could just have a new better scope and another for a team member. I have never updated my scope or anything hell I don't even know if I could lol.. it has a Bluetooth icon in the menus no clue what for.

My scope just has a 2 way split one for a DVR and one for a battery. Hell if there were updates for it I probably would not update it. Cause it sure as hell is not broke.

I am still saying try to find someone around your or go to a place that sells them and see if u can rent one.

• Red likes this

Jayboonie

#14 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,087 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

well I've watched a lot of videos of both thermal and NV. IMO the thermal is much better. That's not to say the NV is crap tho. They've come a long way.

Protector of the nuts.

#15 Jayboonie

Jayboonie

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

imo night vision works. good friends say about 100 yrds maybe 150 I think which light you are using has a big difference Idk. It just doesn't glow like a thermal does which makes spotting them so easy.... 

idk I just know thermal is amazing if allowed in your state.. but like anything else it costly... ppl say I am crazy for having this gun setup.. but its no different than buying a 6000 dollar fourwheeler or 4x4 or hell ppl spend 30k on a bass boat..

• Old Hickory likes this

Jayboonie