• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts
  • Local time: 03:46 AM

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

If this were in a spot where domestic dogs would normally be I wouldn't question it. Can anyone positively ID these?

Attached Thumbnails

• Tracks Med 1.png

Protector of the nuts.

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 02:46 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:13 AM

I think it's a coyote track.

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 04:46 AM

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:48 AM

Four inches long would be a whopper of a coyote. But the tracks are clean with well trimmed (naturally worn down) nails. The pads are not splayed all out like they would if the animal was obese like many domesticate dogs. Nice fit animal and not small.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#4 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,125 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:33 AM

I think it's way too big to be a typical coyote. I'm wondering if it's a coy-dog mix? Or, and I don't know what a large cat track looks like?

Several years ago I shot a huge coyote that I'm convinced was a mix. Tho it looked like a coyote in every way, it was like a 70lb dog.

Protector of the nuts.

#5 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 03:42 AM

I think it's way too big to be a typical coyote. I'm wondering if it's a coy-dog mix? Or, and I don't know what a large cat track looks like?

Several years ago I shot a huge coyote that I'm convinced was a mix. Tho it looked like a coyote in every way, it was like a 70lb dog.

Do you have Red Wolves in your area. Seventy pounds would be about their size. They look extremely like coyotes. They are protected here, but wildlife cannot enforce the law because they look so much like coyotes, other than the larger size. Ft Bragg people introduced them here some decades ago and figured they would stay on the large reservation. Of course they did not. Cause all kinds of issues down here on domestic animals and livestock. 

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#6 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Nice reference link to wild animal tracks...  http://www.wildthing...fication-guide/

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,125 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 09:32 AM

Thanks. It's clearly not a coyote or Mt Lion then. Has to be a domestic dog or coy-dog mix.

Protector of the nuts.

#8 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 05:03 PM

If it ain't got a collar, it's a coy-dog mix, but you already know that.

#9 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:33 AM

The pet pure coyote my wife and I raised weighed 67 pounds at the vet's office and wasn't fat. 

I considered the print to maybe a coydog, not all that uncommon in these parts. We have wild wolfdogs and coydogs running this area. Most of them have caused lots of livestock trouble and have been shot. They were bred by local breeders. 

The local wolfdog breeder's young granddaughter was mauled by one of his animals and fortunately, survived. The same fella had a lot of animals escape his enclosure and into our local countryside. Eight of them were shot on the land next to where I hunt, shot by the cattleman/farmer.

• Red and MikeNC like this

#10 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,125 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 03:19 AM

I posted the same thing on a coyote hunting facebook site. You can't even believe the blowback I got from a couple supposed "experts" who apparently have no knowledge that coyotes and domestics are capable of interbreeding. I know they are rare, but it's nothing new or unheard of. Unless I see it, I'll never know what it is. I'm keeping an eye out.

• Old Hickory likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 05:24 AM

I'm thinking you got a gamecam set up? I'd like to see this thing. That's a nice size & physically fit critter.

#12 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 10:52 AM

It's a skinwalker!  ;)

#13 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,125 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 11:24 AM

oooh skinwalker! good call.

And good call on the game cam. Yes I will do.

• MikeNC likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#14 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 12:48 AM

I posted the same thing on a coyote hunting facebook site. You can't even believe the blowback I got from a couple supposed "experts" who apparently have no knowledge that coyotes and domestics are capable of interbreeding. I know they are rare, but it's nothing new or unheard of. Unless I see it, I'll never know what it is. I'm keeping an eye out.

Our coyote got bred by two neighbor dogs that got into her pen. One was a lab and the other was a Chessy. Coyote had two litters of pups. The lab coydogs were worthless but the Chessy pups were wonderful. A person would think it would have been the other way around.

Edited by Old Hickory, 20 July 2018 - 12:48 AM.

#15 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 16,125 posts

Posted 20 July 2018 - 09:12 AM

Even among veteran dog breeders, breeding dogs is a hit and miss deal. Sometimes it works out as planned and many times it does not.

• Old Hickory likes this

Protector of the nuts.