Photo

Where are the airgunners in Varminter forum?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan H.

Bryan H.

Varminter

• 16 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 AM

Posted 09 June 2018 - 03:08 PM

I know I can't really point fingers, because I haven't been posting much myself recently. Been pretty busy these days. I do occasionally look for a good read here, and I haven't seen anything new about hunting with airguns. I especially like to read about success with low end air rifles. They are my favorite, I love an economical rifle that gets results. This is one of the great advantage of air rifles, you can get it done with minimal cost and outstanding results.

Where are the breakbarrel and multipump users at?

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,655 posts
  • Local time: 01:20 AM

Posted 11 June 2018 - 06:17 PM

PCP user here!  Wait, that didn't come out correctly!   ;)

• Red likes this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#3 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 833 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:03 PM

My RWS 52 springer had been sitting unused in the safe for many years. Then a friend mentioned he was having trouble with squirrels so I lent it to him. I sighted it in and that is when I was reminded why I like my PCP rifles so much. Once you go PCP, it's really hard to go back to springers.  But I do have to admit, learning to shoot a springer well is excellent training that can be applied to other rifles. 

#4 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 436 posts
  • Local time: 12:20 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:57 AM

Here is one of them, and in spades!

I hunt almost every day for an hour or two, in an exurban area about 2 miles outside the city limits. The three landowners in question, all have pigeon, dove, and squirrel issues. The tally this year is unknown, as I haven't counted. The pigeon count is over 100 to be sure, and the eurasian doves? I can't count that high! 

My main weapon is a .25 caliber Wicked Air Rifle Cobra. It spits the 25.39 grain JSBs at 870 FPS, or about 43 FPE. I've owned the gun for nearly two years, and have cycled 10,000 rounds through it! The barrel has never been cleaned, and it still shoots better than 3/4 inch, 100 yard groups at the indoor range. Over bags obviously. The only issues have been o-rings, but that's a normal occurrence with prolonged use. 

Best witnessed shot? 242 yards on a squirrel. Not too shabby for an old hand (78). 

• Red likes this

#5 Bryan H.

Bryan H.

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:01 PM

242 yards? Good grief! That with a diabolo pellet, or cast slug?

#6 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 436 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 12:47 PM

Diabolo! 

Here are a couple of photos of interest (posted on my amateur radio web site).

http://www.k0bg.com/...irgun/Cobra.jpg

http://www.k0bg.com/...rgun/100yds.jpg

Edited by Alan, 14 June 2018 - 12:48 PM.

#7 Bryan H.

Bryan H.

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:38 PM

That has to be the baddest smallbore airgun in existence.

#8 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 436 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:32 AM

The one item I like about it the most, isn't its accuracy, although it's extreme. Rather, it is the Timney, Clavin Elite trigger. There is absolutely no creep, and the letoff is as crisp as as Winter's morning! I ended up buying two more for a couple of my powder burners. 

#9 Thwakkk

Thwakkk

Varminter

• 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

While I'm logged in I thought I would reply.

There is a small group of airgun shooters in the Boise area that shoot the springtime Pansal shooting event. The selection of airguns used varies from the modest priced to the higher end guns but each seems to fill a need of the owner. I have a couple 'old' pumpers that remind me of my youth, several springer/ram based guns that I often grab for a hunt, and a few high pressure precharged (PCP) that I use.

I love them all but each group has benefits.

The old pumpers are noisy and accurate but mostly fill a warm spot in my heart bringing back memories of my distant past.

The mechanical based springer/ram guns have taught me to shoot any rifle better because they require consistency to shoot accurately which translates to any rifle, plus I've also found I prefer a 'good' two stage trigger like the Rekord found on the Beeman R9 guns. I've also found benefits can be obtained in the springer/ram shooting behavior if given the proper care internally.

The PCP guns require support equipment that keeps many shooters away from them but they can propel a heavier pellet at speeds just below the sound barrier with almost no recoil to speak of allowing the shooter to actually see the target being hit.

All classes of airguns are far quieter than any centerfire powder gun and the noisiest airgun can sound close to a 22lr rimfire assuming the projectile does not exceed the sound barrier -- but -- if that happens then they can sound like a 22lr.

#10 Bryan H.

Bryan H.

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 June 2018 - 02:47 PM

Thwakk- that's a name picked by an airgunner for sure. What do you like to hunt with your air guns?

#11 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 436 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:22 AM

I have a 397 Benjamin, with a TKO22 suppressor attached. You can hear the hammer hit the bash valve, which is all the noise it makes. In fact, the noise hitting a pigeon is far noisier. 

The aforementioned Cobra's report isn't really loud. Cows and horses just a few feet away, don't even flinch. But... Some big bores sound like powder burners to be sure!

#12 Thwakkk

Thwakkk

Varminter

• 8 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Bryan H:

The critter I mostly hunt is the ground squirrel out on the BLM land. Around here the big ones are 6"+/- standing and the juveniles are the size of a large field mouse. I have airguns that would take down bigger game but I seldom see them and have health limitations that hinder the quest for larger game. I still have several powder guns but again, health limitations limit their use not to mention location.

Alan:

I do have one pumper (Chinese B5-10 repeater) with a TKO attached that makes it one of the quietest guns I currently own and 'thee' quietest pumper out of five. It's highly modified using Crosman parts but the retractable wire stock makes it uncomfortable to shoulder as a carbine -- it makes a better pistol although somewhat long. The other pumpers vary in noise levels.

My quietest PCP is a Maurader in 177 but next to it is a 'new to me' Vulcan in 22 with a Sumo attached. I still need to address internal noises in the Vulcan breech since my ear is directly on it when shot.

I agree with you that the big bores get loud and as the speed is increased the noise level increases as well. One of our local shooters has a 45cal rifle he brings out on occasion. He cranked it up and tethers it to a tank since 3 shots is about all he can get without tethering. It does have a bark but recoil is more of a shove and compared to a low velocity 45-70 cartridge able to be used in the weaker framed powder guns, the powder gun is by far louder with a much heavier recoil to deal with. I lose sight of the targets upon firing with both guns but got to admit they are fun to shoot (literally a blast).

I love your Cobra and envy your shooting area. I grew up on a farm and miss the ability of stepping out the back door and shooting.

#13 tims229

tims229

Varminter

• 15 posts

Posted 18 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

I have a couple break barrels that have collected dust since my introduction to PCP airguns.  Have been spending more time with the powder burners as of late though, but I revisit now and then for some "lead therapy".  Happy Shooting!

#14 banjobart

banjobart

Varminter

• 3 posts
  • Local time: 02:20 AM
  • Interests:Motorcycles, banjos, guns, varminting

Posted 27 January 2019 - 05:04 PM

I moved to a place on a small lake in 2012. I immediately began to wage war on the chipmunks and the geese. Otherwise the walls are alive and the goose poop is ankle deep in the yard. 

I have several air rifles. Being an old Beeman fan I have the R7, R9, HW50, HW35, FWB 124 and just got the new FWB Sport. The Sport is at Airgunwerks getting a tune. I try to stay sharp by shooting in the basement during winter. All my air rifle shooting is done offhand.

#15 bigredhunter00

bigredhunter00

Varminter

• 30 posts
  • Local time: 07:20 AM

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:27 PM

I shoot varmints mainly prairie dogs with a 25 caliber air rifle. My best is 234 yards 4 shot Benjamin marauder. my airforce escape has busted one 209 yards 2nd shot.