• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 104 posts
  • Local time: 02:22 AM

Posted 03 June 2018 - 08:27 PM

Welp, I missed another one! Looks like this old man needs to start using a shotgun (it's been patterned stay tuned)

Anyways, it's 1 or 2 in the morning and we have been hunting hard for several hours. Our first 6 stands produced nothing but rabbits and field mice, but our 7th stand we called in a double.

Im using my Pulsar Trail XP50 Thermal. The video is a bit shaky as I adjust and look on the two dogs incoming.

The first one coming in begins to leave and eventually shows back up at 110 yards. Thats further then I want to shoot. My spotter points me to the second one incoming and its only 49 yards out. I line up the cross hairs and pull the trigger for a miss. Man I thought I was on em.

https://youtu.be/AZYOLKxLhtg

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 03:22 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 04 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

I think you hit him.

#3 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts
  • Local time: 04:22 AM

Posted 04 June 2018 - 03:32 AM

I think you hit him too. Just a little far back maybe.

Protector of the nuts.

#4 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 04 June 2018 - 10:58 PM

Is probably one less fawn killer.

#5 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 503 posts
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:59 AM

I've started several times to critique this "miss", but have stopped short as I thought it would sound too critical! If it does, I apologize, but after all, we're here to learn!

In the videos, the crosshairs were dead on the coyote multiple times, but no shot was fired. This is indicative of several issues. . 

Trigger adjustment is a fine line between safety and let-off. All too often, first stage travel is excessive, making a crisp let-off impossible. This fact makes off-hand shooting literally a hit or miss scenario.  It also points to the need of a very good trigger group, even if that requires replacing it with say a Timney Calvin Elite. There is a reason they cost upwards of $300! 

Too much magnification and/or incorrect parallax adjustment, especially at night, causes one's eyes to sciatically move across the exit pupil which changes the apparent POI. Adding insult, most night vision scopes do not have parallax adjustments—only a focus knob which is a whole different thing! This is true of the X-Sight II, and other similarly-priced night vision scopes (≤$1,000).

One way to improve offhand shooting, is to practice with a moving target. Some gun clubs have such setups, and a few hours of range time shooting at a moving target does wonders for one's trigger control. I still hit the range a couple of times a year just for this reason. I also hunt about 250 days per year, which does wonders for one's offhand skills. 

And lastly... Any stimulant you use is going to cost you in more ways than one. This includes sugar, nitrosamines (due to flame broiled meat), citric acid (OJ), coffee, nicotine, and alcohol, even in moderate usage. Back in the early 70s, the FBI did a series of tests to derive the effects of these stimulants on shooting ability. The outcome was, and still is, obvious. Yet, almost all night hunters, gobble coffee, et. al., and hit the field on a full stomach. If you want calmer nerves, drink cranberry juice!

• Old Hickory likes this

#6 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 01:25 PM

I think you're overthinking it. It was a 49 yard shot. It is what it is. The misses or run-offs haunt us long after the glory of a spectacular kill fades.

I never owned a decent night scope. When we hunted at night it was typically with shotguns, no scope. 50 yards would have been pushing it to the limit.

Protector of the nuts.

#7 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,558 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 09:42 PM

Ditto Red. Practice and find "your" limit. Then don't exceed the skill level you have defined through practice. The other day I watched a young adult Coyote as it was just enjoying the day. It went up to several plants and smelled the roses so to say. Chased it's tail and generally just enjoyed the spring weather. I just watched with a smile and never took a shot. It was a great day hunting without ever firing a shot. Sometimes that is just the way it is...not the kill but the whole experience. As Red says, don't over think it....just enjoy whatever the experience is had.

The most memorable day hunting I had was with a friend. We sat and talked and had the lunch I had made. Set behind the truck in the shade in comfortable chairs. Really loved the man. The next morning I was in the gunshop working on a couple of AR's and got a call telling me that Virg had died in his sleep. Thank god for that special day before his passing. It is all about fun...that's it PERIOD. Thanks for listening and stimulating past memories my friends.You all are a great bunch of friends...thanks

Sean

• Old Hickory likes this

#8 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 503 posts
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:27 AM

It is, as alluded to, a passion. Some us—me specifically—are in it for the kill! Others, not so much. In my case, I grew up in a sporting goods store, and varmint hunting became a major passion in my life. Thankfully, my wife understood, and never complained about it. But the rule still applies, and that rule is embodied in the word "Varmint"! 

• Old Hickory likes this

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 12:33 PM

Yeah I want the kill too. We all miss sometime though and we, or I, dwell on it long after I should. It happens. But I think you tagged that one and he probably died a little bit later. They can run a long way in a short time when they're not DRT. Run offs don't make you feel a whole lot better than a clean miss either tho.

Protector of the nuts.

#10 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,558 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

The kill is important. Missed a great Elk in New Mexico last year and I knew it the moment I pulled the trigger. My point is that you can always find positives to take away from the hunt regardless the kill ratio. No need to dwell on it and always review to see where you can improve.

Sean

#11 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys even you Alan :)

Truth is if you hunt sooner or later you will miss. Just like Red said, I tend to dwell on misses. Drives me nuts.

I'm just waiting to get phone calls now that the pups are out. Then I will be right back out there. Well, if I can wait that long.

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

I tend to dwell on misses. Drives me nuts.

I still remember some epic misses from over 20-25 years ago.

Protector of the nuts.

#13 Jbotto

Jbotto

Varminter

• 503 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:29 PM

I dwell on misses too. Like I went 10 years between shooting a deer. 5 years since I had shot at one, as the last time I did, I missed a chip shot at a relaxed young buck. It literally haunted me, so I started shooting my rifle more, dry firing it weekly and this last fall when a shot presented itself on a doe, I ended my curse. At the shot she just sunk, never moved away from where I shot her, just a few kicks and it was all over. I took the top of her heart off and wrecked both of her lungs, with no meat lost. I got my confidence back after that one. It's important to miss as long as we learn from it. Don't beat yourself up!

Edited by Jbotto, 04 July 2018 - 03:30 PM.

• Red likes this

Slow down: A fast miss is still a miss and a hit is forever.

"No experience is so conductive for steady and accurate shooting as the knowledge of the impossibility to escape by speed."
-Sir Samuel Baker