• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• 104 posts
  • Local time: 01:24 AM

Posted 04 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

We were invited to hunt a sheep ranch and after being shown the lay of the land we returned at dark thirty.

Im using my Pulsar Trail XP50 thermal scope and my spotter is using my HD19A monocular. We hike maybe 200 yards from the vehicle and set up on a clearing. I walk out and place my ecaller maybe 30 yards away from our spot.

I walk back, turn on the caller, hit the record button on the scope and literally 25 seconds later my spotter is telling me coyote incoming! I get him in my scope around the 35 second mark. Well, that's great except for a few things.

This coyote is charging fast, but he does slow down to take a look in our direction. Im not sure how the hell he saw us, but you can see in the video he slows up and looks right at us. There was no wind at all and I think he probably smelled us rather then saw us. Who knows.

Regardless, I shot and missed this one then sent two more hail mary shots as ol wiley bails out.

https://youtu.be/5V_mpDlyLCk

• Red likes this

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 02:24 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 05 May 2018 - 02:51 AM

:biggrincamo: That is one very lucky coyote!

#3 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 503 posts
  • Local time: 02:24 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 05 May 2018 - 04:57 AM

It appears that the third shot finished him. Did you find him?

#4 Capitol

Capitol

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 104 posts
  • Local time: 01:24 AM

Posted 05 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

It appears that the third shot finished him. Did you find him?

Nope! I did go look briefly, but I couldn't find anything. Maybe should've went back during the day.