7 replies to this topic

#1 Varmintslayer

Varmintslayer

Varminter

• 35 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 PM
  • Interests:LR Shooting, Reloading,Hunting,Competions

Posted 02 October 2003 - 12:14 PM

I was at the gun store wanting to pick out my new .17 HMR , but the gunsmith overheard me talking about it and came out of his hiding place to say that he has heard people are having problems k1lling coyote's with it " the .17 HMR that is". He said that the .22 Mag would be the better caliber out of the 2 to have and use. The .22 mag will have more knock down power and penetration, and the .17 HMR being faster would not penetrate a coyote as good do to expolding, especially if hitting any kind of bone. He also said that the .17HMR doesnt have the same range like the .22Mag has.
So let me hear your advice or opinion's please!

I know this would be the best place on the net to get the info I am asking for.

Thanks
Troy

#2 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,258 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 PM

Posted 02 October 2003 - 12:40 PM

In my humble opinion, neither is a real coyote rifle. The .22 mag will have a little more downrange energy but shots beyond 80 yards or so might be lacking in the ft. lbs. department for a clean kill.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#3 Varmintslayer

Varmintslayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Red!

I dont normaly hunt Coyote with a rimfire, but in this one local WMA I can hunt in only allows Rimfire. So thats why I needed to know.

I am going to try real hard to get a bobcat or fox out of here, I figured the cat and fox are thinner skinned and wouldnt be as tough as the coyote.

Thanks
Troy

#4 Glen Shaffer

Glen Shaffer

Varminter

• 409 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 04:33 PM

Varmintslayer--Red is right on. Big g-hogs over 150yards run away from the point of impact. 125 yds is getting to the upper end of clean one shot kills. Bobcat isn't a real thin skinned animal but the fox is. The coyote is heavier than both & in my opinion deserves some respect. I'm quite sure I've helped open a can of worms that we went round & round on before the site went down. However, the 17 HMR is extremely accurate & a load of fun to shoot but has limitations like everything else. If I'm g-hog hunting & get the opportunity within 100yds I will try the 17 on a coyote with some sort of head shot. For what you need in that one location the 22mag would probably be your best choice with the extra energy. Just my opinion. B) Glen

#5 flatlander

flatlander

Sniper

• 3,037 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 05:16 PM

I use the 22mag alot and I'd be comfortable using it to just past 100 yrds on coyote. One thing a guy will want to do is to stay away from the new slew of light-weight, highly explosive rounds such as the Win Supreme's (32gr) and the like. The heavier (standard weight) Super-X hp will give much more penetration and deliver better wind performance with only a small sacrifice in trajectory (we're only talking around 100 yrds here).

I've read a bit about the 17mag and wouldn't even consider it in the running for a coyote gun

flatlander
Lead me not into temptation, but point me to it instead.

#6 Varmintslayer

Varmintslayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 October 2003 - 07:06 PM

Thanks guys for your info, I havent ever shot a .17hmr and I havent owned a .22mag in 10 years.

I want you all to know this is not a full time coyote,fox,bobcat rig. Its just going to let me hunt on this WMA for rimfires. Otherwise I will use better suited Calibers.

Thanks

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• 13,258 posts

Posted 03 October 2003 - 11:36 AM

agreed, I bought a 10/22 magnum for the exact same reason, still have not bagged one on that state ground though, maybe this year.

Hey ISLAM - Come On The Peace Train!! - or be wiped out.

#8 RSCAR

RSCAR

Sniper

• 3,185 posts
  • Interests:All things firearms, Offshore ocean fishing, making my wife happy and enjoying my life, annoying people

Posted 09 October 2003 - 01:07 PM

My 1st post was 22mag or17hmr after obsessing, I bought a varmiter..duh..I finally got a Ruger 77/17 with a leupold [M-8] fixed 6x42mm. Great rig exceptionally accurate deadly on small stuff [ a crow, a starling, and a squirrel] out to 125yds.. the dopes showed up at the range when nobody was around. I would'nt use it on much more than fox, chuck, or coon all within 125yds. It burned through a 25cent peice at 75yds so it must have some penetration before it fragments. You guys talk about shooting "dogs" coyotes ,Iknow, but I'd hate to have to drop one of my dogs with a .17hmr..it'd probably just leak off Spunky and Buttons to the point that they'd eat me and the rifle !!! RSCAR :)
Aim Small-Miss Small...RSCAR...
Anybody worth shooting is worth shooting twice