• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 295 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM

Posted 06 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

In an effort to make everyone jealous, what is the most valuable firearm you ever shot?  Mine is this Thompson that was won at a Camp Perry match in 1931.   I believe that Auto Ordnance had classes and a competition at Camp Perry and the winner got a Thompson for his department.  They only did that for 10 (?) years and this is only one of 3 whose where abouts are known.   When I contacted Thompsons Collectors Assoc.  I was told it would easily be worth over a million.   Of course, this info may be a little dated as this was a dozen years ago.  And yes, I shot it a bunch.sm Inscription7.JPG

• Old Hickory likes this

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,907 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 06 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

Wow! I bet that was fun, Mongo! 

#3 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 242 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 AM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:31 AM

I wish I had the photos. 

In 1957, I had an opportunity to shoot a custom-made, 50 BMG, hunting rifle. The gun was made for O. H. Gerry, of optical fame. Jim Curry was the gunsmith, and at that time was located on South Troost Avenue, in Kansas City, MO. The barrel was a surplus, M1A1 machine gun barrel, about 36 inches long. The action was an old Webber three ring, fitted with a Canjar trigger. It was scoped with a special-made Unertl, and as I recall, 20 power. The gun was made to take a Dull ram, at a transit-measured 1,550 yards. I can't say it is still a record in B&C, but it was at the time (circa 1956). 

The total cost (it was made in about 1954), was about $2,000 which is about $20,000 in today's dollars. Since it only weighed 15 pounds, and no recoil pad save for about a half inch of rubber, the recoil was more than just a punch—it was more like a knockout!

I've also fired several nitro express rifles, which are worth fortunes today. The most notable one was a 600, and looked more like a side by, double barreled shotgun. Believe it or not, their recoil is tolerable as they are, and were, a low pressure cartridge (≈25,000 CUP).

#4 AZZA

AZZA

Sniper

• 4,120 posts
  • Local time: 04:02 PM
  • Interests:The Environment, Shooting ferals whom destroy Australia's fragile ecosystem, , Bush walking and fishing.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:53 PM

Zoeller 1888 vintage falling block 55 Cal Buffalo Rifle. My uncle bought it for US$30,000 at an auction, it just sold for US$280,000 via private internet auction 20 years later.
When it come to varminting, their is nothing more challenging than reaching out and touching a Rabbit from afarAussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
The Breakers last words before his unlawfull execution on Kitcheners kangaroo court orders. "Shoot straight you bastards" It's somebody who doesn't believe there's a divine being dispensing justice to mankind" - Lt. Harry Harbord 'Breaker' Morant on being asked what a pagan is By Lt Hancock before their Execution-
Metric/Imperial convertor SMARTLINK