• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,821 posts
  • Local time: 11:28 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 02:55 PM

My kids gave me a smoker for my birthday months ago. I smoked a backstrap and a roast from my deer the other day. This is only my 2nd attempt at smoking anything. I followed a recipe for brining found on the web, it turned out real well. Very good taste and not too tough.

So now I'm looking for a simple but good crock pot or smoker dove recipe.

• Old Hickory likes this

When I smile, tell me some bad news

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,995 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 30 November 2017 - 12:49 AM

I have never smoked doves but lots of fish and a batch of tree squirrels. Yeah, squirrels.

I soaked the rodents in brine like I did the fish and then sprinkled a commercial smoking salt onto them, and smoked them. My Brinkman has a place for a pan of water and I advise using water while smoking. Squirrels turned out great. 

I smoked hundreds of pounds of fish when I was a kid. I always had a pan of water included in our homemade metal refrigerator smoker. 

#3 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,475 posts
  • Local time: 09:28 PM

Posted 30 November 2017 - 01:27 PM

Get a cedar shingle, soak it in water and then nail dove to shingle. Put over coals and slather with marinade. When the shingle is near black in color remove from fire. Remove dove and throw it away and then eat the shingle. 

Sean

Really

• Old Hickory likes this

#4 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,995 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 01 December 2017 - 12:40 AM

We have rolled up dove breasts in aluminum foil with some added butter, salt, and pepper and roasted them in campfire coals. They are great. 

Edited by Old Hickory, 01 December 2017 - 12:40 AM.

#5 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 298 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:06 AM

One of the problems with all small game bird meat, is keeping the skin intact, so the meat won't dry out when cooked. I don't worry about it. Hickory's suggestion works well, but so does wrapping the breast (the only part you can eat on a dove) in bacon. I cook them over a low heat grill, or use the smoker. While I'm on the subject of  smokers....

Rather than use hickory or other smoker wood, puree a half dozen jalapno peppers with two cups of water, and use it instead. 

• Old Hickory likes this

#6 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 2,991 posts
  • Local time: 12:28 AM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 05:10 AM

Years ago I hunted with a buddy in Texas. We killed a bunch of doves and his wife crock potted them and they were excellent. I just remember cream of mushroom soup being part of the stock. I found this on a google search and it sounds pretty similar... http://www.crockpot-cooking.com/wild-game/crock-pot-dove-or-quail/#.WiFTgL5uyqs 

• Old Hickory likes this
And he used to have this saying, he used to say when things got real lousy.
I mean real lousy. All you had to do was just put out the fire, call in the dogs, an' head it on
Back to Bowlegs. 

#7 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 15,821 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:13 AM

yep I've done the cream of mushroom soups type recipes before. Looking for something different this time. I may have found it here; https://southerngals...n-the-crockpot/

unfortunately I just got a real time update that the dove hunting has turned to crap where I'm headed. It's unheard of this time of year, never happened before...of course because I'm going. We'll see.

• Old Hickory likes this

#8 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:59 AM

It's unheard of this time of year, never happened before...of course because I'm going. We'll see.

:lol:  :lol:  ... Looks good. Crockpot cooking is almost a guarantee to a tasty meal. 

I mean real lousy. All you had to do was just put out the fire, call in the dogs, an' head it on
Back to Bowlegs. 

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 15,821 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 11:02 AM

I blame global warming

#10 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 2,991 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 02:49 PM

Darn good point there Red & hard to argue. Al hopefully will chime in as he would support your statement with corroborating  evidence. 

Back to Bowlegs. 

#11 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 15,821 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:32 PM

Apparently new birds moved in today. Forced down by bad weather to the north. So, global cooling may cause the demise of more doves? I'm so confused.

btw I heard a report yesterday. No warming in the past 23 years so...

http://dailycaller.c...g-for-23-years/

• Old Hickory likes this

#12 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 298 posts
  • Local time: 10:28 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 02 December 2017 - 04:01 AM

Regular dove season in New Mexico is over as of the 30th of November. But Eurasian doves and pigeons are fair game all year long! But to be honest, I'm tired of dove. Of late, I've been boiling them (outside) long enough for the feathers to come to the top. Those I discard, and the rest is fed to the pigs and chickens. The latter must really like eating their cousins, because they're laying more than ever! The pigs are fat too!

• Old Hickory likes this

#13 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,325 posts
  • Local time: 02:28 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:11 AM

Diane cuts the breasts in half. Throws them in a crock pot & starts adding vegetables & a small amount of oregano. I think she drops in a beef bullion cube & cooks it for 8 hours. Never had a bad bowl.

• Old Hickory likes this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#14 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 15,821 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:22 AM

Just back and it was decent shooting compared to what I'm used to. He was disappointed that it wasn't as good as usual. Either way I have about a hundred here, didn't count them. Yes some are the Eurasian, never seen those before. We don't have them here at home. Had a great time!!!

• Old Hickory likes this

#15 Red

Red

Sniper

• Topic Starter
  • 15,821 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

also I'll add that I primarily used my old '68 Browning Auto-5. I love that gun. But I took the new A-5 too just in case. I started using it toward the end of the trip and I've grown to like it very much. It seems to have a dove tracking device. It points good for me and is lightweight.

• Old Hickory likes this