• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 CanadianGopherSlayer

CanadianGopherSlayer

Varminter

• 55 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 PM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:45 AM

I get the sense there aren't too many people on this forum who are enthusiastic rimfire fans when it comes to shooting varmints.  Where I live in Ontario Canada, the only varmints I shoot with .22 are pigeons!  If I could get close enough (to a tame enough) groundhog, I'd consider it...but they're more inclined to spook inside of 200 yards.  Makes it impossible.  22WMR is a better choice for those, and I spent an entire season shooting them with that caliber.  More "hunting" compared to what I use now, a .223.  With the 22WMR, you had to get inside of about 125 yards to make ethical shots.  The .223 has so much reach that "stalking" isn't even part of the equation most days.

Gophers (Richardson's Ground Squirrels) in western Canada~that's an entirely different story.  My CZ452 Varmint in 22LR is my primary gun for that job, but it's back-up is a Marlin 917 heavy barrel 17HMR.  The Marlin has an aftermarket trigger, the CZ a YoDave spring kit that makes it more civilized.  :)  The CZ shoots inexpensive CCI Blazer so well that I ordered a Waltz kit for making those solids into gaping hollow points.  Impact is an audible "slap" sound, and the results are very "un-22" like.  In a good way.  There are other 22s I use for the job (BRNO 2E with open sights) but those 2 rifles do the heavy lifting.

I've added a higher-end, target/varmint 22 to the collection in recent months...but being a little on the snazzy end of the spectrum, I'm not sure it'll make the 2018 "gopher" trip.  Having lots of fun practicing with it though!

Anybody here on this forum share my enthusiasm for rimfires?  Any 2018 rimfire "goals" or purchase plans?

• Old Hickory likes this

#2 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 743 posts
  • Local time: 07:54 AM

Posted 15 November 2017 - 02:20 PM

I've shot the majority of my prairie dogs the last couple of years with an Anschutz 1727F 17HMR. The wind is an issue so I do most of my shooting at sunrise when the wind is calm. I've also used a Franklin 17WSM and recently a Ruger 17WSM.  My 17HMR groups much better under ideal conditions and it is quieter, so I prefer it when the wind is calm.  I use a Sako 204 Varmint for cleaning up after I've shot them up with the rimfires.

If CZ chambers for the 17WSM I will probably have to buy one in 2018. I'm seriously thinking of getting a CZ 204 also. 

#3 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 294 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 03:26 PM

Never cared much for the 22LR even though I do shoot one.   REALLY like the 22 magnum.  Have taken a lot of prairie dogs well over a hundred yards with one.   Also enjoy shooting the 22 magnum handguns.   

• Old Hickory likes this

#4 CanadianGopherSlayer

CanadianGopherSlayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 06:17 PM

I've shot the majority of my prairie dogs the last couple of years with an Anschutz 1727F 17HMR. The wind is an issue so I do most of my shooting at sunrise when the wind is calm. I've also used a Franklin 17WSM and recently a Ruger 17WSM.  My 17HMR groups much better under ideal conditions and it is quieter, so I prefer it when the wind is calm.  I use a Sako 204 Varmint for cleaning up after I've shot them up with the rimfires.

If CZ chambers for the 17WSM I will probably have to buy one in 2018. I'm seriously thinking of getting a CZ 204 also. 

^very cool!  I recently bought a CZ527 Varmint in 17 Hornet, due in large part to the bad influence of this forum.  :)  I've yet to shoot it, between weather...finally getting the rings sorted-out, and the delays in getting all the reloading components I want for it.   Starting with factory ammo, but here in the east...not exactly a caliber you're likely to find on the shelves of your local gun shop.  The varmints around here might be a little too hefty!  lol  Anyhow, I'd been pining for a 527 for a very long time, and ended-up getting my HB .223 in a Savage due to the lower cost at the time.  The rifle is a laser with hand loads, so no regrets...but it's not a CZ.

Those 1727f, straight-pull action rifles are nothing short of spectacular~very nice!  My new rifle is a 64 MP R "Tactical Trainer", looks something like this;

lmWfkjR.jpg

That may be the name the importer gives this combo of action/stock, but it's a beauty.  Punches little tiny groups @ 50  yards, but I hope to stretch it out a bit in the spring when things warm up/dry-up.

• Old Hickory likes this

#5 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,905 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:18 AM

I enjoy my rimfires above all of the rifles I own. All my hunting is now rimfire hunting, mostly tree squirrels, small game, and a few varmints. 

I went the entire rimfire path from .22  to present .17 rimfires. My favorite is my .17 WSM and will be the one I stick with because it performs well of every task I ask of it. I'm not dissing other rimfires because they will always have their uses.

I used my tricked out HMR since the HMR introduction years ago and I was very happy with it until I whacked a few large varmints and quickly realized I needed more punch. 

Part of the decision as for my BMAG  .17 WSM is carry weight. My HMR is a very heavy rifle but is ultra accurate. My BMAG weighs less than half of my HMR and has a lot more wallop, plus the BMAG is pretty accurate. 

I have convinced a number of my pals to buy .17 WSM rifles and they are overjoyed with their rifles. We all own Savage .17 WSM rifles, by the way.

Edited by Old Hickory, 16 November 2017 - 02:23 AM.

• Hornet and CanadianGopherSlayer like this

#6 CanadianGopherSlayer

CanadianGopherSlayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

^nice!  I think I might have owned most modern rimfire calibers EXCEPT 17WSM.  17M2, 17HMR, 22LR, 22WMR, etc.  I always wanted 17HMR to be more useful here in Ontario but the truth is...I don't think it's enough medicine for varmints like groundhogs.  I mean...it'll get it done, but shot placement is critical...has to be 20grHPs for a chance at an instant kill, and there can't be a ton of distance involved.  When any of those aren't in place, the big "hay pigs" are likely to flip/flop back into their holes. =no good.

I got rid of my 3 x HMRs as a result...and it stayed that way until the first time I travelled west.  Turns out gophers are THE perfect HMR target, so I bought my Marlin for that, and left it out west with a buddy.  In that role, 17 HMR is a riot.  Only challenge is~finding lots of ammo at an affordable price!  :)

• Old Hickory likes this

#7 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 294 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 11:11 AM

Considering an Armscor 1911 - 22 magnum if it ever comes out.  But that's a maybe because I just purchased a Taurus 992

• Old Hickory likes this

#8 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,905 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 02:41 AM

^nice!  I think I might have owned most modern rimfire calibers EXCEPT 17WSM.  17M2, 17HMR, 22LR, 22WMR, etc.  I always wanted 17HMR to be more useful here in Ontario but the truth is...I don't think it's enough medicine for varmints like groundhogs.  I mean...it'll get it done, but shot placement is critical...has to be 20grHPs for a chance at an instant kill, and there can't be a ton of distance involved.  When any of those aren't in place, the big "hay pigs" are likely to flip/flop back into their holes. =no good.

I got rid of my 3 x HMRs as a result...and it stayed that way until the first time I travelled west.  Turns out gophers are THE perfect HMR target, so I bought my Marlin for that, and left it out west with a buddy.  In that role, 17 HMR is a riot.  Only challenge is~finding lots of ammo at an affordable price!   :)

If you get a chance to shoot a .17 WSM, you will then never sleep well until you own one. ;)  

#9 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,317 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 AM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 17 November 2017 - 04:18 AM

If I was allowed 1 rifle & 1 shotgun they would be my 870 20ga & my Marlin 17HMR. I'll eat good with those 2.

I've had groundhogs at150yds crawl off from a 39gr BK in 204. I can't blame the 17HMR for crawl offs. Some of them just die a lot harder than others.

• MikeNC and Old Hickory like this

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#10 CanadianGopherSlayer

CanadianGopherSlayer

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:18 AM

I got rid of my 3 x HMRs as a result...and it stayed that way until the first time I travelled west.  Turns out gophers are THE perfect HMR target, so I bought my Marlin for that, and left it out west with a buddy.  In that role, 17 HMR is a riot.  Only challenge is~finding lots of ammo at an affordable price!   :)

If you get a chance to shoot a .17 WSM, you will then never sleep well until you own one. ;)

^well, I'd certainly welcome the opportunity to try one...but I think by anyone's measure, I have more than enough varmint guns.  :)  I thought I was done with .17s then suddenly...an impulse purchase of my 527 Varmint in 17 Hornet a few weeks back.  lol  What was supposed to be a fact-finding mission (=CAN I even find one and if so, what's the price?) turned into a purchase.  Only problem is~the gun might be too pretty to shoot.  :)  Waiting on my bore guide, .17 rod/brushes and scope rings before I can even test shoot it.

If I was allowed 1 rifle & 1 shotgun they would be my 870 20ga & my Marlin 17HMR. I'll eat good with those 2.

I've had groundhogs at150yds crawl off from a 39gr BK in 204. I can't blame the 17HMR for crawl offs. Some of them just die a lot harder than others.

^that's actually a good way of putting it.  I'll have to remember that!  I'm also a 20ga. fan!  I haven't had that experience with the .204, and mine liked the 39gr. SBKs too.  In my experiences with it, over-penetration seemed to be the issue.  I remember shooting one (quartering shot, it was almost facing me) and having the bullet exit out of the opposite, rear hip...and enough "spray" past it to suggest it was still cooking when it left the animal.  Basically~a THROUGH shot on a large, mature groundhog.  I think that much speed + a bullet that seemed to NOT come apart like a V-Max caused significant over-penetration.  It was the only bullet that shot such amazing groups off a bench @ 100  yards, but turned-out to be one of the reasons I sold the gun.  My .223 with 53gr. V-Max does a much better job, sometimes a gooey one too.  :)  Groundhogs dead either way, just that the .204 was less remarkable.  

That reminds me of another experience.  I was out hunting groundhogs with my buddy one day, I had that .223...he has his .243 Win.  We crested a small hill in a young hay field and sitting up about 40 feet away was a big, fat, groundhog about 3 feet from it's hole.  I'd shot the last one, so it was my buddy's turn.  He shouldered that HB Savage, hit the go button, and BOOM...saw parts flying.  We walked-up to where it should have been...and noticed it had crawled back into it's hole.  There was plenty of it in pieces outside of the hole, but somehow...it made it back to no doubt expire a few seconds later.  That's a crazy amount of energy on an animal that size so yeah...they do "die harder" sometimes.

#11 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,317 posts
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:57 AM

I've seen em crawl off from a 257Roberts, 222, 243, & 270 also. The main culprit,, IMHO,, was always shot placement. They are about as tough an SOB as you can find to shoot & if it's below the chest they have a good chance of crawling a couple yards to the hole. Reminds me of a story I read many years ago,,"as the adrenaline coursed thru it's veins, the mighty Buffalo made charge after charge at us!!"

• MikeNC likes this

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#12 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 743 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:14 PM

I've seen em crawl off from a 257Roberts, 222, 243, & 270 also. The main culprit,, IMHO,, was always shot placement. They are about as tough an SOB as you can find to shoot & if it's below the chest they have a good chance of crawling a couple yards to the hole. Reminds me of a story I read many years ago,,"as the adrenaline coursed thru it's veins, the mighty Buffalo made charge after charge at us!!"

Is that a Peter Hathaway Capstick quote?

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 2,939 posts
  • Local time: 08:54 AM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

I've seen em crawl off from a 257Roberts, 222, 243, & 270 also. The main culprit,, IMHO,, was always shot placement. They are about as tough an SOB as you can find 

And all of that is true. I do remember one time up at a place called Johnson's Island at Marblehead, Ohio. My brother had a vacation home there. Back in the 60's the place was like the lost forest. We'd hike around with our Sheridan Pellet guns having a shooting bonanza. We came across a woodchuck munching grass about ten feet away from his hole alongside a shed. From about 15 yards I placed a Sheridan 5mm pellet alongside his ear. All he did was roll just a bit and then go into flapping the tail. DRT.

• Old Hickory likes this
And he used to have this saying, he used to say when things got real lousy.
I mean real lousy. All you had to do was just put out the fire, call in the dogs, an' head it on
Back to Bowlegs. 

#14 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,317 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

Rudy-- It's been waaaay too long ago to remember anything other than that one quote. Sorry.

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#15 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,317 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 05:03 AM

I know a guy that shoots them with an air rifle. He puts the pellet in the ear & thats all it takes. I should try that with the 17gr HMR V-Max. :D

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52