First yote hunt of the season.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Wino

Wino

Varminter

• 152 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 AM
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting and photography.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:32 PM

My buddy Eric and I went out for our first yote hunt of the season.  Drove out to the Salton Sea. Parked my car near and orchard and hiked into the desert. We set up on a small hill with an e-caller and decoy 20 yards away. 3 minutes of snowshoe hare (I know...what does a desert yote know about a snowshoe hare?) and Eric tells me he spots one coming in from far away. He loose sight of it as it goes behind some brush.  A minute it later it pops out of a bush right in front of Eric about 10 yards away. Bang!......1 down. Our next 2 stands were blanks. We decide to make one last stand as the heat is starting to build. 10 minutes into calling I spot a yote coming in fast from way out. It was just a little dot when I first see it. Before you know it he runs right up to the decoy like he as going to eat it. Bang!..... 2 down.  We call for a little bit longer to see if we have any more coming in but see nothing. We go to pick it up I was surprised by its size. This guy was a toad by California desert standards. Very wide head and big body. We take a few pictures. Then we start to pack away the caller and decoy as we eat some food. We're just talking and laughing. Then I spot another yote.   Maybe 300 yards out. How he didn't see us standing there is a mystery. I tell Eric to get down and get on your gun. I drop to my butt, with no cover, a half eaten banana in one hand and my rabbit distress mouth call in the other. I start calling and the yote immediately start heading right for me at mach 2.  Between calls I whisper to Eric "Don't let this thing eat me!" as it is making a beeline right at me.   About 70 yards out Eric lets one fly and hits square in the chest. It goes an end over end and then starts to spin and then falls over dead.  When we recover it we see its a young one. Probably never seen a human before so that might explain why he didn't bust us earlier.  We took a few more pix.....at an angle to improve the size of this guy and headed on back to my car to call it a day. 

Wino

37635266436_c7e24970eb_c.jpg

37426012970_e7829d26f7_c.jpg

37635266606_3614696f13_c.jpg

Edited by Wino, 13 October 2017 - 09:40 PM.

#2 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 13 October 2017 - 11:26 PM

You fellas did good, Wino! 

#3 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 05:06 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 02:35 AM

Good job and nice write up. Felt like I was there with you guys. Middle picture really shows him to be a brute.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#4 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts
  • Local time: 04:06 AM

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

Great hunting and story. That does look like a really big coyote.

#5 dangerranger

dangerranger

Varminter

• 565 posts
  • Local time: 02:06 AM
  • Interests:I enjoy building guns as much as shooting them.

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

The first and last are about the size I normally see here! Congrats on a nice triple day!

#6 2011ERIC

2011ERIC

Varminter

• 13 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 AM
  • Interests:Competitive USPSA pistol shooter but rifles are my true love

Posted 24 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Im jealous fellas. Strong work!