Photo

I Need Some Votes on This - Varmint or Elk Hunting?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts
  • Local time: 01:43 AM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:20 PM

I've killed lots of elk, and the real work begins after they are dead! I recommend doing an elk hunt while you are still young. At my age I'd only hunt areas where I can drag it out with a 4-wheeler or a horse. 

Elk steaks and jerky are certainly tasty. I've never tried eating varmints.

#32 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts
  • Local time: 10:43 PM

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:31 PM

I here that. Shot a 1800 pound bull 200 yards from camp 2 years ago. Backed up the truck and six of use loaded him up. He was enormous but didn't break any records to my dismay. Other thing, cows taste better and are less work. I've got pictures somewhere and if I find them will post.

Sean

• Old Hickory likes this

#33 CanadianGopherSlayer

CanadianGopherSlayer

Varminter

• 56 posts
  • Local time: 07:43 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

Personally?  We have whitetail deer everywhere, moose north of where I live (starting around 90 minute north and beyond) and elk reintroduced (but in very limited #s) about 6-7 hours north of where I live.  Basically, "big game" here in Southern Ontario MEANS deer unless you want to give the hunt several days and try to get a moose tag.  Elk~nobody really bothers, yet.  Again, that's Ontario~lots of elk in Alberta/BC.

To the question?  I don't really care that much for the deer/moose/elk I've tried, and probably 90% of my interest in any "hunting" is the appeal of the equipment, and the act of trying to make accurate shots.  In other words, the nicer the gun+the more shooting=the best possible time for me.  So, were I answering the question?  VARMINT shooting over elk.  :)

For different...or maybe similar reasons~I'm faced with a similar dilemma.  High-volume gopher/varmint shoot...or pour those resources into a cheap, warm-climate trip at some point in the winter.  I've already let my wife know what I'm choosing for 2018...and I'll give you a hint.  I recently bought 1,000 rounds of Hornady 17HMR ammo, and over 5,000 rounds of CCI Blazer 22.  500 of which have already been cycled through my Waltz die.  :) 

• MikeNC likes this

#34 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:37 PM

Personally?  We have whitetail deer everywhere, moose north of where I live (starting around 90 minute north and beyond) and elk reintroduced (but in very limited #s) about 6-7 hours north of where I live.  Basically, "big game" here in Southern Ontario MEANS deer unless you want to give the hunt several days and try to get a moose tag.  Elk~nobody really bothers, yet.  Again, that's Ontario~lots of elk in Alberta/BC.

To the question?  I don't really care that much for the deer/moose/elk I've tried, and probably 90% of my interest in any "hunting" is the appeal of the equipment, and the act of trying to make accurate shots.  In other words, the nicer the gun+the more shooting=the best possible time for me.  So, were I answering the question?  VARMINT shooting over elk.   :)

For different...or maybe similar reasons~I'm faced with a similar dilemma.  High-volume gopher/varmint shoot...or pour those resources into a cheap, warm-climate trip at some point in the winter.  I've already let my wife know what I'm choosing for 2018...and I'll give you a hint.  I recently bought 1,000 rounds of Hornady 17HMR ammo, and over 5,000 rounds of CCI Blazer 22.  500 of which have already been cycled through my Waltz die.   :)

17HMR + calm wind + lots of varmints = a heck of a lot of fun!!!

#35 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 380 posts
  • Local time: 12:43 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

OK Eric, what have you decided??

#36 BILLB

BILLB

Varminter

• 5 posts
  • Local time: 12:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

Hunted lots of Elk and shot lots of Elk--Bulls and cows!  But someone is correct when they said you get to old to hunt--77years, a bad heart, 9000+ feet of elevation and 800+ lbs to clean and dress gets a bit much.  But Lord how I miss it...the nites around the fire lying to each other, the food, the woods when daylight is coming, a bull bugling in the Aspen's---don't pass up a chance to do this!!

Bill

• MikeNC likes this

#37 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:21 AM

But Lord how I miss it...the nites around the fire lying to each other, the food, the woods when daylight is coming, a bull bugling in the Aspen's---don't pass up a chance to do this!! Bill

And there ya have it..!

Edited by MikeNC, 29 October 2017 - 02:22 AM.

• Old Hickory and Dave Keith like this