Photo

I Need Some Votes on This - Varmint or Elk Hunting?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#16 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts
  • Local time: 09:31 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:19 AM

Don't grow too old to elk hunt but wish you had hunted them.

And that was John's experience.  He was told on what to expect and began some extra workouts concentrating on extensive hiking through the high country. Although still being relatively young, John's first sentence or two to me is how that hunt kicked his butt physically wise. 

#17 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts
  • Local time: 06:31 PM

Posted 26 September 2017 - 10:57 AM

Been there and resemble that remark. Misery love company

Sean

• Old Hickory likes this

#18 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,140 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 12:50 PM

Elk - Schmelk.

That sounds like a tasty recipe  :tonguecamo:

It's the certified Kosher version of your regular Elk. :lol:

Honestly I get someone wanting to elk hunt. I just don't have the desire. I mean I'd shoot one if it was standing in front of me but don't want to bad enough to go through what all it requires. 20 years ago might have been a different story.

• Old Hickory and Chief like this

Protector of the nuts.

#19 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 PM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 12:24 AM

OK, so which way are you leaning?

I am no longer able to drag or pack out big game.  :blushcamo:  

#20 Spud

Spud

Varminter

• 260 posts
  • Interests:Bench rest shooting, reloading, Fly fishing, fly tying and Prairie Dogs Shooting

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:27 AM

OK, so which way are you leaning?

I am no longer able to drag or pack out big game.  :blushcamo:

I agree Old Hickory, I have killed 6 elk and each one got harder to pack out. After the last one that took 1/2 a day to pack it out.  I decided that it was the last one. Varmints are much easier and I get to shoot more. 

Spud

• Old Hickory likes this

#21 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 27 September 2017 - 11:07 PM

Yeah on that, Spud. Years ago during my first mule deer hunt in Utah, I had a 2 day drag with a buck. I was in good shape but those two days did a good job of wearing me out. That was on Mapleton Mountain south of Provo.

By the time I arrived to the vehicle, the deer had no hair from the neck down. All the hair was worn off by rocks and brush. It looked like a naked deer, LOL! 

During my years of hunting and fishing Utah, I saw no elk.  I don't think Utah had an elk season then. 

#22 Spud

Spud

Varminter

• 260 posts
  • Interests:Bench rest shooting, reloading, Fly fishing, fly tying and Prairie Dogs Shooting

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:39 AM

Yeah on that, Spud. Years ago during my first mule deer hunt in Utah, I had a 2 day drag with a buck. I was in good shape but those two days did a good job of wearing me out. That was on Mapleton Mountain south of Provo.

By the time I arrived to the vehicle, the deer had no hair from the neck down. All the hair was worn off by rocks and brush. It looked like a naked deer, LOL! 

During my years of hunting and fishing Utah, I saw no elk.  I don't think Utah had an elk season then. 

I did all of my Elk hunting on the Grand Masa here in Colorado. The last elk I shot was with in 100 yards of our camp. I went back to camp early because my butt was draging from walking the mountains. Our camp was located by an old CC fence. I was just getting ready to poor me a tall one when I looked down the fence and couldn't believe what I saw. The big bull was walking down the fence. Very slowly I reached for my 308 norma mag. I was behind our tent. I waited until he was about 100  yds. away and pulled the trigger. He dropped in his tracks. I was so excited that I had to sit down for a few minutes and get myself together. I drove my little red jeep down and hooked on to him and pulled him back to camp and hoisted him up in a tree and began the work of cleaning and skinning. Last but not least the bull was a 7 point and was the biggest elk I had ever shot. I realized that God was telling me that I was the luckiest guy and it was time from me to quit elk hunting. 

There is a little more to this story that I would be glad to share with you if your interested.

Spud

Spud

• MikeNC and Old Hickory like this

#23 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:38 PM

Yeah, am interested!

#24 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:39 AM

Yea, me too..!!

#25 Spud

Spud

Varminter

• 260 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 08:02 AM

Yea, me too..!!

When my hunting buddies got back to camp empty handed they couldn't believe that I had shot this elk so close to camp, and as it turned out I was the only one that year to get an elk.  Back in those days I was poor as a church mouse but took the head to have it mounted. Six months later the taxidermist called me to let me know it was ready. I went to pick it up and pay fore it and it turned out that it was all most as much money as we had in the bank. But went for it and when I got home and told my wife what the cost was I was in a a boat load of trouble. I then tried to bring it in the house to hang in the livening room and the horns were so big I couldn't get it in the house. So it then went to our 1 car garage and could't park her car in it with my Great Elk. So after all of that I ended up donating it to the VFW where it is still on the wall after 45 years.

End of Story. My wife and I are still married 59 years and we laugh about it now. I go by the VFW every once in awhile to check to out.

Spud

• Red, MikeNC and Old Hickory like this

#26 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 10:41 AM

:lol:  :lol: Great story Spud and excellent marriage as well...!!!

#27 Spud

Spud

Varminter

• 260 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 11:15 AM

Thanks, She is a Keeper

• MikeNC likes this

#28 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:45 AM

That was quite a deal, Spud!  How that hunt happened is funny, too. Do you reckon someone in your camp unknowingly spooked the elk and ran it to you?  

As an example of Karma, I was hunting deer in western Illinois with a group of fellas I worked with. They used me for their dog and deer driver because I carried an over and under 12 GA while they had pump and auto shotguns.

The weather was terrible, never stopped raining until the last day in the afternoon. We never saw a deer and I was getting very unhappy until the weather cleared and the sun came out.

My fellow hunters decided to switch to rabbit hunting so they loaded up with shot shells, fanned out, and had a rabbit drive through a long field of weeds alongside a picked cornfield that ended at a Mississippi River bluff.

I was still out of sorts for being their dog so skipped the rabbit hunt and double timed to the end of the field and climbed a tree, in hopes they would run a deer to me. Unknown to them, that's exactly what they did. They had no clue until they heard me shoot. I was the only one of the party that killed a deer that season, a nice fat doe. 

#29 Spud

Spud

Varminter

• 260 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 06:07 AM

That was quite a deal, Spud!  How that hunt happened is funny, too. Do you reckon someone in your camp unknowingly spooked the elk and ran it to you?  

As an example of Karma, I was hunting deer in western Illinois with a group of fellas I worked with. They used me for their dog and deer driver because I carried an over and under 12 GA while they had pump and auto shotguns.

The weather was terrible, never stopped raining until the last day in the afternoon. We never saw a deer and I was getting very unhappy until the weather cleared and the sun came out.

My fellow hunters decided to switch to rabbit hunting so they loaded up with shot shells, fanned out, and had a rabbit drive through a long field of weeds alongside a picked cornfield that ended at a Mississippi River bluff.

I was still out of sorts for being their dog so skipped the rabbit hunt and double timed to the end of the field and climbed a tree, in hopes they would run a deer to me. Unknown to them, that's exactly what they did. They had no clue until they heard me shoot. I was the only one of the party that killed a deer that season, a nice fat doe. 

Good for you, you have to love it when a plan comes together.  I don't know if they spooked it or not. But the funny thing was this old elk was just walking down the fence and not running. This is one hunt at the age of 80 that I still think about.

• Old Hickory likes this

#30 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:10 AM

Good for you, you have to love it when a plan comes together.  I don't know if they spooked it or not. But the funny thing was this old elk was just walking down the fence and not running. This is one hunt at the age of 80 that I still think about.

I bet so, Spud! You remind me of a pal, a retired fire fighter. We call him Tater.

Yeah, like I said earlier, I would be hunting elk if I was young enough to do it.

• lunarlithic likes this