Varminter

• 68 posts
  • Local time: 12:52 AM
  • Interests:Predator Calling

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:00 PM

Sometimes you can call them in so close they are hard to see.  :rolleyescamo:

Z3qy6F3.jpg

• MikeNC, davidbradford and 2011ERIC like this

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take an ass whipping.

#2 mongochicago

mongochicago

Varminter

• 365 posts
  • Local time: 02:52 AM

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

That's an odd place for him to take a nap

Edited by mongochicago, 13 September 2017 - 05:29 AM.

• Old Hickory and 2011ERIC like this

#3 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 01:52 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 12:18 AM

Nice going, Chief! 

#4 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 03:52 AM

Posted 13 September 2017 - 02:34 AM

Your on a roll Chief. Nice looking rig you got there. 

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#5 Chief

Chief

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 September 2017 - 06:30 AM

One of last years coyote.  If a rancher calls with a problem I'll go out after them but the temperatures out here are still in the mid to high 90's.  I wait until the end of September, early Oct for my recreational calling. 

#6 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 13 September 2017 - 10:46 PM

I sure do like your picture, Chief. 

#7 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 503 posts
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:02 AM

Yes, but how many of you have had a sandwich stollen by a coyote right off the tailgate of your pickup truck? 

• MikeNC, Old Hickory and 2011ERIC like this

#8 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 04:19 AM

Yes, but how many of you have had a sandwich stollen by a coyote right off the tailgate of your pickup truck? 

:lol:  :lol:  

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#9 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 06:49 AM

Chief or any others input as well..... Do you find any certain times better than others? Will mid afternoon work in your areas? Is night hunting worth the additional hassles of lighting, etc

#10 Chief

Chief

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 07:44 AM

First let me say that I don't believe that any animal should be hunted 24/7.  So having said that Mike let me try to answer your questions.  There are times to call that are better than others, they are extremely hard to call in during the mating season, but I still go after them at that time, early morning seems to work best for me, sunup to about 10am, and then dusk to dark.  As a rule I do not call mid-afternoon, however if I know my wife has work for me to do at home I'll call all day :nerdcamo: .  We are allowed to predator call at night out here, but only in designated areas that hold desert big horn and mule deer.  No night hunting allowed in the areas I call in.  If even allowed I would not participate.  We live within spitting distance of the Mexican border, so it is possible at night to have hunters with guns, border patrol with guns, ranchers with guns, drug movers with guns and who knows who else out there with guns - not a good place to be.  

So to sum it up, in my opinion, early morning, late afternoon, are best.  No particular months are good or bad with the exception of breeding season, I know absolutely nothing about night hunting. As I said ,emphasis on I, don't think any critter should be hunted 24/7.  

PS, should have added that I never had them take a sandwich from me, I have had them "inspect" the truck.  I have noticed paw prints over my truck tracks and also the traditional "this is my area" marking on my tires when I return.  

Edited by Chief, 14 September 2017 - 07:47 AM.

• MikeNC, Old Hickory and 2011ERIC like this

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:52 AM

As a rule I do not call mid-afternoon, however if I know my wife has work for me to do at home I'll call all day 

:lol:  Good info Chief. Thanks..!

#12 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,558 posts

Posted 14 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

Did raise a Coyote pup that at one time jumped on the sink and ate a whole ham on Thanksgiving day. My Mom's response was great and left us laughing for hours. Still had the Turkey. We had an Airedale that hooked up with the coyote and had pups. Kept one pup and he was a great pet and he was a food thief also. 

Sean

• Old Hickory likes this

#13 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:14 AM

Did raise a Coyote pup that at one time jumped on the sink and ate a whole ham on Thanksgiving day. My Mom's response was great and left us laughing for hours. Still had the Turkey. We had an Airedale that hooked up with the coyote and had pups. Kept one pup and he was a great pet and he was a food thief also. 

Sean

Wife and I raised a female coyote and had her for 8 years. She had her own outdoor pen but twice, neighbor dogs got over the fence and bred her. 

She was a great pet. The biggest problem we had with her was anything leather near her quickly got chewed to bits. 

Most of her life she lived in our house.

#14 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,558 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 12:01 PM

Ours lived in the house and truly loved my Grandmother, He'd lay next to her chair and watch TV with her. My Grandmother would regularly hold conversations with him. Had him for eight years and his name was Bilbo. People would freak out when I'd walk him on a lead. They tried to tell me I couldn't have wild animals. Told them he wasn't and they could pay for the DNA test.  They relented and we agreed to not talk about it anymore. You know...CA.

Sean

• Old Hickory likes this

#15 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 11:58 PM

Ours lived in the house and truly loved my Grandmother, He'd lay next to her chair and watch TV with her. My Grandmother would regularly hold conversations with him. Had him for eight years and his name was Bilbo. People would freak out when I'd walk him on a lead. They tried to tell me I couldn't have wild animals. Told them he wasn't and they could pay for the DNA test.  They relented and we agreed to not talk about it anymore. You know...CA.

Sean

I did the same thing when a nice Illinois Game&Fish gentleman showed up at our house. He left in a good mood and all was well. There was no test that could not prove our coyote was not part dog. 

While watching my wife romping with the coyote, he smiled and mentioned, "I do think I can see a little dog in her" and also replied the animal certainly has a good home, and left, smiling. 

Not long after that, he and I hunted ducks together.

• lunarlithic likes this