10 replies to this topic

#1 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 554 posts
  • Local time: 11:43 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:44 AM

It is time to remind folks that handling game, especially rodents like prairie dogs and ground squirrels, can be harmful to your health. As a plague survivor, I encourage varmint hunters to leave pray where they fall. We should all know that all rodents harbor fleas, and fleas harbor the plague and other human-harmful diseases. And just because they look healthy, doesn't mean they are! 

If you just have to take photos of your kills, at least wear proper gloves, apply lots of 100% DEET to keep the fleas, lice, and chiggers off your body. For several days after the hunt, be weary of signs of ill health like fevers and chills.

Remember too, no one is immune!

• davidbradford likes this

#2 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,233 posts
  • Local time: 01:43 AM

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:05 AM

This jars loose a question Alan..... How much risk is associated from just being in an area where lots of such vermin live and having the fleas, etc jump on you from surrounding brush? I live in the woods and have my share of ticks getting onto me and occasionally get myself into a chiggers nest.

#3 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 554 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:18 PM

When I contacted the plague, I had NOT handled any prairie dogs. What I did have were bites I thought were chiggers. Obviously, they weren't. I was lucky, in that I was already on Ciprofloxacin for a bladder infection. Had I not been, I would have been much sicker than I was otherwise. I had a fever of about 104°, chills, and severe muscle aches which lasted for nearly 10 days. All of these are classic signs of the plague, and should be looked for after hunting in the field especially when after rodents. 

These days, I wear sun screen every day, 365, because I'm fair skinned. And, I also apply 100% DEET. Not everyone can tolerate 100% DEET, but it doesn't seems to have any side effects that I've noticed over the years. The smell of DEET dissipates after about and hour, but is still effective up to 10 hours. Sort of  prophylactic as it were. 

• Old Hickory likes this

#4 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Local time: 12:43 AM
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 05 August 2017 - 11:52 PM

I use DEET whenever I am going into the woods or grass. Our local problems are ticks and chiggers.

Our patrol vehicles are often infected with chiggers and ticks because of having so much of our patrol area being in the rough.

#5 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

When shooting prairie dogs I avoid setting up close to the mounds.

Something I should do but have been lax, is to tuck the bottoms of my trousers into the tops of my hunting boots. Chiggers always seem to crawl up my pants and bite my lower legs. The chiggers and ticks are really bad here in Oklahoma. Years ago I started wearing Dickies coveralls which really help because they can't get in around the waist and the zipper seems to keep them out also. Lots of people here use sulfur powder applied generously on trousers, shoes and socks. It does seem to work.

I'm particularly sensitive to tick and chigger bites. Chigger bites will itch for about 3 weeks. Tick bites will itch for 2-3 months even if it's just a seed tick.

Does anyone have a good remedy to stop chigger bites from itching?

Here in Oklahoma ranchers have a simple remedy to control ticks. They burn their pastures in the spring. It's not uncommon to see large areas burn for several days.

#6 Rudy

Rudy

Varminter

• 835 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 09:11 AM

If I'm doing some early season hunting, I use Cabela's Bug Skinz under my camo.

They really help with the chiggers. Ticks however are more determined, they will climb all the way to your neck.  

#7 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,569 posts
  • Local time: 10:43 PM

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

Once bitten try making up a paste of meat tenderizer and apply to the bites. The meat tenderizer breaks down proteins and can break down the fluids that the insect deposits in you when they bite. Doesn't work for everything but works for most things I've encountered. Also besides tucking your pants into your boots try using duck tape at the pant -shoe intersection as another barrier to these tiny predators. Finally, fleas do drop off animals and will jump on any warm blooded creature that passes by. The closer you are to areas where squirrels and other rodents congregate the more likely your to encounter fleas not attached to to them. So anywhere a squirrel or its like travels it will be dropping the fleas that will be looking for its next victim.

Sean

#8 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only. Yeah, still working full time.

Posted 07 August 2017 - 12:30 AM

For bites I use "equate" Anti Itch Continuous Spray, sold by WalMart stores. It really works great. It is also very cheap to buy.

#9 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 07:43 PM

We did an article and video on this subject:

Varmint Hunting and Catching the Plague

Eric  B)

• Old Hickory and mongochicago like this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#10 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 554 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:07 AM

The only problem with the video is... Some folks will turn it off before getting to the meat of it!

Until you contract the plague, you haven't a clue how sick you can get. In fact, depending on the plague you get (bubonic, septicemic, meningitic, or pneumonic), you can die!

Besides the CDC, here is an informative article: http://www.mayoclini...es/dxc-20196766

The bottom line is, the plague is not something to take lightly, or make fun of!

• Old Hickory likes this

#11 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 3,111 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:48 AM

The only problem with the video is... Some folks will turn it off before getting to the meat of it!

Until you contract the plague, you haven't a clue how sick you can get. In fact, depending on the plague you get (bubonic, septicemic, meningitic, or pneumonic), you can die!

Besides the CDC, here is an informative article: http://www.mayoclini...es/dxc-20196766

The bottom line is, the plague is not something to take lightly, or make fun of!

The Army certainly takes precautions when plague is discovered. Where I work, a Boy Scout camp on the installation far back into the woods had a great log cabin. Plague carrying mice were discovered in the log cabin so the Army razed the camp to flat dirt and seeded the area. I'm not complaining, just stating how some precautions are taken.