• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 TEXAS222

TEXAS222

Varminter

• 10 posts
  • Local time: 09:39 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:48 PM

I've been debating getting a 17wsm or a 17Hornet. After studying about it for awhile, I think I've decided on the Hornet. My question is which rifle, a CZ or maybe try to find a Ruger. What's your opinions? I've never had a CZ but I've read that a lot of guys really like them a lot. Thanks for the help & suggestions.

JD

#2 Weezerj

Weezerj

Varminter

• 30 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 PM
  • Interests:Fishing for Salmon/Steelhead
    Dirt Bike Riding

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

As a general rule of thumb, I try to buy the most expensive rifle I can afford.  Unlike cars and other toys, guns don't lose value (for the most part)....so I think of it more as an investment.

Sometimes the wifey even buys that

If you can get your hands on either, I usually like to handle as both options as much as possible.

I really don't think you will go wrong with either gun.  Deciding which gun to buy is usually a lot easier for me than deciding on what glass to put on it.

JD

Edited by Weezerj, 06 July 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#3 Aspencreek

Aspencreek

Varminter

• 132 posts
  • Local time: 08:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:03 AM

I haven't shot the ruger 17Hornet but I own the CZ 527 Varmint in 17H.  Absolutely love that rifle and cartridge combo!  Thing shoots like a laser out to 250-300 yards and with the set trigger you can be incredibly accurate.  I've used mine on everything from ground squirrels (vaporizes them with vmax) to rock chucks, to badgers, and 3 coyotes.  Liked the rifle so well I went and got the same one in 204 Ruger.  Before the CZ I tried not one but 2 of the Savage model 25's in 17H and both were terrible.  They both had feeding issues and accuracy issues so bad I thought I was going crazy.  Dumped those and haven't looked back.  (note:  I've been happy with other Savage rifles in 17hmr and 22 hornet, but no luck with the 25s).

#4 lunarlithic

lunarlithic

Varminter

• 1,286 posts
  • Local time: 07:39 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Have both the Ruger and the CZ and think the CZ is great. Taking nothing away from the Ruger I grab the CZ 9 out of 10 times.

Sean

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,283 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:47 AM

CZ

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution

#6 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• 33 posts
  • Local time: 03:39 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

CZ 527 American.

I have one in 22 Hornet. It may very well be my favorite rifle!

#7 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• 33 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

What did you end up with?

#8 TEXAS222

TEXAS222

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:16 PM

Hi Hornet,

I haven't yet but I'm going with the 527. Maybe you can help me because I'm a little confused about a few things not ever having a CZ. First, I'm going to buy a Calhoon single shot adapter. Being disabled in my legs, I mostly bench shoot or varmints from a truck when my buddy's take me out on the ranch. I'm confused about the bolt handle & scope mounts. I want to put a Sightron SIII 6x24x50 30mm that I already have. Will I need to get a new bolt handle? What about mounts? On nearly all my rifles in the last 25 years have had a Weaver/Picatinny type picatinny rail & Warne QD rings. Looks like unless I get a D.I.P. rail, that's out. What rings would you recommend & what height for that scope? I don't shoot with my face buried into the stock, more so with my head up a little. Another thing, I'm a Talley & Warne fan along with Leupold, but I'm not a fan of Burris rings.

Sorry for all the questions Hornet but this CZ is new to me. Thanks buddy for any help. Appreciate it.

BTW, there's not a lot of conversation on this forum is there?

Jim D

Texas

#9 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,283 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:33 AM

http://shop.cz-usa.c...-527-Rings-16mm

http://shop.cz-usa.c...7-16mm-Dovetail

• Hornet likes this

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution

#10 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

You should get rings with your new rifle. I would try those first. The included rings are a little high for my taste, but may work for you.

#11 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• 33 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Just noticed the 30mm. The link provided by red should get you there...