• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Aspencreek

Aspencreek

Varminter

• 166 posts
  • Local time: 04:03 PM

Posted 03 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Anybody know approximately when coyote pups are self-sufficient and not dependent on their parents?  This time or year?  Later?  I've passed on a couple chances at adult coyotes recently when out for varmints because I'd rather not take a parent with pups in the den.

#2 Wino

Wino

Varminter

• 152 posts
  • Local time: 03:03 PM
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting and photography.

Posted 03 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

I think they'll be good to go by July. At least that's when I start seeing the young ones out and about in my hunting area.

#3 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts
  • Local time: 06:03 PM

Posted 04 June 2017 - 02:44 AM

We figure they are weaned at 6 to 8 weeks after birth. I would give them 4 weeks after to know how to find road kill, another 4 weeks to have learned to catch food but on their own that could not go real well for a bit..

:D  Al

#4 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 503 posts
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 04 June 2017 - 04:07 AM

Most authorities agree that coyote pups are taught to fetch their own food, before they're ostracized from the home den. How long that takes, I suspect, depends on the scarcity of food. Here in my exurban area of Roswell, NM, they must have a lot of food, because I've never seen a skinny one!

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

Varminter

• Admin
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:28 AM

I typically wait until fall (late September/early October).  But some folks hunt them earlier if need be.

*Rant On*

I cringe when I see folks holding up pups with huge ears saying it was a "hard-charger" to the call, when there is really no skill to calling in a young pup.  It's not that I don't understand why they are taking them out (if needed), but don't brag like you are a big-time predator caller and posts pictures all over social media.  It only makes those guys look silly.

*Rant Off*

That rant had nothing to do with your post, just something I think about every year.

You should check with your local biologist to see when they are pushed out.  It does vary depending on the area you live.

Eric  B)

• MikeNC likes this

Click below to connect with us on the web:

Varminter-YouTube.jpg Varminter-Facebook.jpg Varminter-Instagram.jpg Varminter-GooglePlus.jpg 

#6 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

Here's some easy reading and information I got from the Timberbutte FB sight...  http://www.livescien...76-coyotes.html

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#7 alleyyooper

alleyyooper

Varminter

• 702 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 04:15 AM

I don't post pictures of varmints period. Also don't hunt pups, nor shoot them. You can tell an adult from a pup.

:D Al

#8 Aspencreek

Aspencreek

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 166 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 10:00 AM

Here's some easy reading and information I got from the Timberbutte FB sight...  http://www.livescien...76-coyotes.html

Cool, thanks for the link.  According to the article "By fall, the pups are old enough to hunt for themselves."   That's what I was wondering.

• MikeNC likes this

#9 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,854 posts
  • Local time: 08:03 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 06 June 2017 - 12:57 AM

I shoot every coyote every chance I get regardless of age or time of year. It just needs doin.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#10 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts
  • Local time: 05:03 PM

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

I shoot every coyote every chance I get regardless of age or time of year. It just needs doin.

ditto on that.

Protector of the nuts.

#11 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

I have a habit of keeping a low profile on most hunting things. Just because that's the way it personally has become. I love wildlife and critters and much of it I do not hunt anymore. My coyote hunting is mostly done in semi residential areas where they are feasting and maiming peoples pets and the local 'professional' attitude is that they are cute, chase golf balls, etc . Most of my contacts come from local veterinarians and then word of mouth. I attempt to eliminate a problem for good people. Sometimes what might not be a current problem will definitely become a future problem. I strongly concur what Glen said and Red dittoed. 

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists, and some, I assume, are good people.”

#12 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

That's honorable. I just like killin stuff.  :P

One July in SoDak I killed a small coyote. It was far off and was feasting on dead prairie dogs along with several siblings. I knew it was young before I took the shot. It looked bigger than it was after looking at tiny prairie dogs thru the scope all day. I'm sure it was not self sufficient once I got to it. Was a small pup, still a coyote - No Regerts B)

Edited by Red, 06 June 2017 - 07:06 PM.

Protector of the nuts.

#13 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 02:12 AM

One July in SoDak I killed a small coyote.  It looked bigger than it was after looking at tiny prairie dogs thru the scope all day.

Sounds like a monster then, You didn't know for sure  :lol:

#14 Red

Red

Sniper

• 16,125 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

One July in SoDak I killed a small coyote.  It looked bigger than it was after looking at tiny prairie dogs thru the scope all day.

Sounds like a monster then, You didn't know for sure  :lol:

It was at least twice the size of a prairie dog! I thought about skinning it to make a mitten out of.

• davidbradford likes this

Protector of the nuts.

#15 MikeNC

MikeNC

Varminter

• 3,197 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Possibly Glen might have been able to stretch it out a bit and make a pair of slippers.

• davidbradford likes this