• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• 49 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 PM

Posted 28 May 2017 - 05:40 AM

I'm thinking of buying one and using light loads for critters around the house, and using some big "buffalo bore" type loads for close range meat hunting.

Does anyone own one, or have any experience with one?

#2 Alan

Alan

Varminter

• 164 posts
  • Local time: 01:38 PM
  • Interests:Set the example... Don't be one

Posted 29 May 2017 - 02:50 AM

Years ago, I owned a Marlin lever action in .357, but I never lightly loaded it like I did rounds for my Python. As a deer slayer, it is a bit on the short side, in my opinion. And contrary to belief, the .357 can be very accurate out to about 150 yards or so depending on the bullet used. 

#3 Glen

Glen

Sniper

• 13,225 posts
  • Local time: 05:38 PM
  • Interests:Hunting , shooting, vacations,unemployment in the winter, remodeling the house, kickin the cat, Diane, & my 2 kids-- Crystal & Glen Jr.

Posted 29 May 2017 - 04:29 AM

I have a Marlin lever in 357. Never loaded down for it tho.  It shoots 1 1/4" at 100yds off the bench with me behind it. It's become my deer rifle now that it's legal here in Ohio. Bullet placement is a must for deer. Coyotes & groundhogs don't like it at all.

RIP Russ,Blaine & Darrell!!

Glen

2013-14 TBC-- 52

#4 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 May 2017 - 09:10 AM

I had an old marlin as well. While I love my Henry .22, I really don't like the manipulation of the lever. It's a pain when rested, or shot in prone.

It is now legal in Iowa I believe(majority of family lives/farms there), and I thought it might be a great multi purpose farm gun/deer gun. Something that could ride in the mule, shoot coyote and possums, procure venison, and share ammo with my j frame.

My wife and I hope to buy another place there during our trip back for the annual fishing trip, and slowly migrate back to the Midwest.

I have been paring back my armory to accommodate my needs in the Midwest, instead of the Rockies.

#5 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,397 posts
  • Local time: 02:38 PM

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

another thing, a suppressor could be added and subsonic loads used.

Years ago a guy posted here about a 77/44 Magnum he had intentions of suppressing for a coyote rifle. I must say at the time it didn't seem like a legitimate coyote set up to me. My thinking has evolved since then. Actually he was rebarreling with an integrated suppressed barrel, even better. Would be pretty cool.

• Hornet likes this

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution

#6 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:10 PM

Well...it's not the most practical, but I'm already set up to reload for it...

The 77/357 is on the way!

#7 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

I need to figure out what optic to run on her though. Dad has a red dot on his 77/44. I was thinking a plain Jane loopy 2-7x33.

What say you fellers?

#8 Red

Red

Sniper

• 15,397 posts

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

I vote 2-7x33. Those red dots have been troublesome for me. I can't shoot consistently with them.

• Old Hickory and Hornet like this

I'll tip my hat to the new constitution
Take a bow for the new revolution

#9 Old Hickory

Old Hickory

Varminter

• 2,720 posts
  • Interests:Family, custom knife making, hunting,fishing, hunting Indian artifacts. Main hunting interest is tree squirrel hunting with rifle and pistol only.

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:35 AM

I vote 2-7x33. Those red dots have been troublesome for me. I can't shoot consistently with them.

Same here, Red. I would prefer open sights or a regular scope. 

#10 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:40 AM

I'm headed to cabelas to use some points.
Pretty sure I'm going to do a vx-1 2-7x33.

#11 Hornet

Hornet

Varminter

• Topic Starter
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

Well, I ended up with a Redfield revolution in 2-7x33. I'm gonna put it on my .22mag, and take the leupold off of it and put it on the 77/357. The Redfields are on clearance, plus mine was the display model...so it ended up being pretty inexpensive.

From my understanding, the Redfield 2-7x33 and 4-12x40 are on clearance nationwide. So go grab one before they're out! Not sure if they're being replaced with a new model, or what the deal is. Pretty good glass for what you pay though.